Getting hot!

7 replies to this topic
  • ouch1

Posted September 24, 2001 - 10:42 AM

lately it seems if I dont keep my bike moving at a good clip it gets hot and boils in the resevoir?Doesnt seem to be running any different!Anybody had any problems like this?

• Ron_S

Posted September 26, 2001 - 03:35 PM

Try Engine Ice instead of the regular anti freeze. It seems to make my 99 run cooler. Slow going single track can cause overheating. Our bikes are not as bad as the DRZ's.

• Blue_Boner

Posted September 26, 2001 - 05:14 PM

I've also had lots of heating problems with my 400 on slow trails. I would suggest going to a 1.6 radiator cap and running 80 to 100% anti-freeze. This seemed to work well on my bike. Goodluck, Eric

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
93 RMX250

• Chris_Slade

Posted September 26, 2001 - 07:11 PM

80-100% anti-freeze?? That would simply made it run hotter yet. Glycerol is NOT a super good heat conductor. For optimum cooling, you actually want 100% PURE distilled water. The coolant/anti-freeze just helps keep corrosion down, as is as anti-corrosive additives.
I run probably 90-95% distlled water, with a splash of Prestone Aluminum coolant/anti-freeze, and the reccommended levels of Water Wetter in my 520. I putz quite a bit waiting for people, and no heat problems whatsoever....this is an SX model, with no fan.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blue_Boner

Posted September 26, 2001 - 07:30 PM

Chris, the high percentage of anti-freeze does make the bike run slightly hotter but anti-freeze boils at a higher temperature than water so you don't get a boiling problem. I have tried everything from 100% distilled water with water wetter and found poor results. I'm glad that combo works on your 520 because I plan on getting one. Also, your 520 radiators are substantially larger than a Yamaha's.

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
93 RMX250

• yzernie

Posted September 26, 2001 - 08:47 PM

Blue Boner,

Who worked on the "Strokerized" WR?? Was it Jerry or Dave?

Ernie

------------------
Life is too short, work hard...play hard
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga and Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment

• ouch1

Posted September 27, 2001 - 05:59 AM

Originally posted by yzernie:
Blue Boner,

Who worked on the "Strokerized" WR?? Was it Jerry or Dave?

Ernie

Thanks for everybodys help!

• Chris_Slade

Posted September 27, 2001 - 06:35 AM

interesting blue...just wondering i it still gets hotter than normal, just not showing it now.
if these have any batteries on them...or perhaps off of lighting coil....has anyone contemplated rigging a fan? just add a switch, relay it from the lighting coil or battery, and there you go. think that could work?

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.