oil problem

46 replies to this topic
  • LETSRIDE

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:52 PM

My Oil Is Allright But I Have A 2006 Yz450f, Are You Draining The Oil From Both The Side Plug And Underneath? If Not They Both Have To Be Out And Drain Completly And Then Do Your Filter. It Should Be Clean For A While, If You Are Doing That Mabey You Have Some Garbage In There And You Might Need A Motor Flush.

• YubaRider

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Guy's what type of oil do you run in your bikes? I've been using Castrol R4 fully synthetic 5-40 at $10.00 a bottle. I like the amount 1.05 QT. per bottle works out great on my 05 YZ450F.

• SureBlue

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:21 PM

You can do your Baja trip without changing your oil. Everyone on here changes there oil way to often! :thumbsup: I have a 03 450 that I changed the oil 3 time's per yr and the bike has been and still is perfect. While I prob. should of changed a little more there is no way the oil needs changed before and after a race or after 2-3 rides unless your up to your tank in mud/water or clutching the heck out of the bike. Change your oil go ride the baja and dont worry about it your bike will be fine. :thumbsup:

Changing oil 3 times per year is fine if you have ridden the bike, well how much? You actually do not tell us anything about your oil changing frequency per riding hours.
Please explain me (I'm very dumb) why you should change your oil more often if you ride the bike "up to your tank in mud/water"? Do you suggest your oil gets more contaminated in muddy conditions?
It is hard for me to believe you actually suggest anyone to ride a 5-7 day desert race with the same oil. Change the oil at the end of each racing day if only possible.

• SureBlue

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Guy's what type of oil do you run in your bikes? I've been using Castrol R4 fully synthetic 5-40 at $10.00 a bottle. I like the amount 1.05 QT. per bottle works out great on my 05 YZ450F.

Welcome to the forum with your first oil post.

• SureBlue

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:28 PM

My Oil Is Allright But I Have A 2006 Yz450f, Are You Draining The Oil From Both The Side Plug And Underneath? If Not They Both Have To Be Out And Drain Completly And Then Do Your Filter. It Should Be Clean For A While, If You Are Doing That Mabey You Have Some Garbage In There And You Might Need A Motor Flush.

Do you actually cap every first letter? Guess it is better than having the caps lock on all the time.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:51 PM

What Second blue said about changing the oil after every change was right. You can try to get away with not changing the oil till after the race or even longer but its anyones guess on when you'll be re-building that engine of yours. Change your oil at every service you can!

And as to that post about everyone changing their oil way to often, you must be some sort of mechanic; smart guy must know a lot about how an engine works and what it takes to properly maintain/lubricate it. I don't care if your riding knee deep in water if that air box is sealed and there are no other rubber leaks your not getting anything in the engine. The high rev range that 450's, 426's, and all the other big bore bikes have along with dirt through the filter element is what eleminates the engines life, any the only way to prevent damage and wear is to change the oil OFTEN. I don't really give 2 cents about whether you care or not, but every time you ride that bike throughout the year with you 3 oil changes your riding one mile closer to the rebuild date.

• xtreme165

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:09 AM

No, I'm not a mechanic (well for my full time job) but I guess you could say I know my way around equipment and bikes. You guy's blow everything out of proportion. The guy is going on a 5 day ride in the baja and there is no way he needs to cart along oil to change after each day of riding. My point was that one if he's like me (no time) and enjoy's every chance he get's to ride then the frequent oil changes that you reccomend are not needed. If it makes you feel better changing your oil that often then do so. Do I sweat at changing my oil at long intervals (nope). Again I have a 2003 that in the beginning I rode alot expecially in the winter when I have more time and I'll go all winter with 1 oil change, yep that's right 3-4 months of riding 1 time per wk for 5-8hrs and no engine failures and the valves,piston,wrings, cylinder, timing chain etcc.. everything is still in spec. as it was just checked a few months back. I just picked up a 06YZF and the 03 is now my official woods bike. If you theory is correct then I guess you change your vehicles oil after every drive or wkly and not the 3000-5000mile intervals that most do?
While it is my advice/expierance and my opinion that he could go 5 day's no problem if he feels he cant then let him lug around all the oil he needs to do the daily change that you suggest him to do. :thumbsup: The only thing he'll be wearing out is his wallet if he want's to change it that frequently. Heck I could do and entire motor after a few yrs of riding on the money you guy's spend on oil if needed and trust me if I motor goes it's not because he didnt change his oil every time he throws a leg over the bike.
I see just as many bike's and problems as anyone, heck I bet I see more than 95% of the people on here and I here "I changed my oil after every ride and my bike still blew up, valves went etc.." it's all the time the entire oil change after every ride/race is BS! If you want to then by all means do so but is it absolutely necessary NOPE. Plus for the water, mudd and etc.. thing I bet you go out and ride streams and water crossings and alot of mud you will end up with moisture in your bike. Either way you do what you want and I'll continue to ride my 3 yr old bike and my new one with common sense oil changes and I'll be riding as engine problem free as anyone else. Heck my 02 CRF I had to change valves more than the oil on my 03YZF.hehelol Now go ride and cart along all the oil you want on your trip and if you choose to take none it will be less you have to lug around and chances are, wont need.

What Second blue said about changing the oil after every change was right. You can try to get away with not changing the oil till after the race or even longer but its anyones guess on when you'll be re-building that engine of yours. Change your oil at every service you can!

And as to that post about everyone changing their oil way to often, you must be some sort of mechanic; smart guy must know a lot about how an engine works and what it takes to properly maintain/lubricate it. I don't care if your riding knee deep in water if that air box is sealed and there are no other rubber leaks your not getting anything in the engine. The high rev range that 450's, 426's, and all the other big bore bikes have along with dirt through the filter element is what eleminates the engines life, any the only way to prevent damage and wear is to change the oil OFTEN. I don't really give 2 cents about whether you care or not, but every time you ride that bike throughout the year with you 3 oil changes your riding one mile closer to the rebuild date.

• Milhaus

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:22 AM

It is hard for me to believe you actually suggest anyone to ride a 5-7 day desert race with the same oil. Change the oil at the end of each racing day if only possible.

I won't be RACING in Baja, just touring, but I am planning on riding about 6 hours per day and logging about 150-200 miles each day. I would like to only have to carry enough oil to change oil once along the trip, but I am open to opinions. :thumbsup:

• xtreme165

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Milhaus,
Any chance your going here www.bajaboundmoto.com ? I am prob. going this Sept with Hepler and a few buddies. Don't worry about the oil you'll be fine if you are worried then change it once but it's not needed.

I won't be RACING in Baja, just touring, but I am planning on riding about 6 hours per day and logging about 150-200 miles each day. I would like to only have to carry enough oil to change oil once along the trip, but I am open to opinions. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:02 PM

30-40 hours with same oil is too much. I change my oil every 4 hours of riding at maximum. And my riding is more or less touring at 45 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:28 PM

If you theory is correct then I guess you change your vehicles oil after every drive or wkly and not the 3000-5000mile intervals that most do?

I still change my oils frequently, the bike every 4 hours and my diesel hauler every 15000 km (9000 miles) as well as the family car.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:53 PM

yep that's right 3-4 months of riding 1 time per wk for 5-8hrs

I very sincerely doubt that you have ever ridden your bike for eight hours during a single day, or certainly not at all often. The time between unloading the bike and loading it back up is not what counts, it's actual running time.

How much gas do you go through on one of these "8 hour" days?

• SureBlue

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:58 PM

No, I'm not a mechanic (well for my full time job) but I guess you could say I know my way around equipment and bikes. You guy's blow everything out of proportion. The guy is going on a 5 day ride in the baja and there is no way he needs to cart along oil to change after each day of riding. My point was that one if he's like me (no time) and enjoy's every chance he get's to ride then the frequent oil changes that you reccomend are not needed.

It takes 5 minutes to drain both plugs and fill in 1 liter fresh oil right when the riding is done when the oil is still warm.

Again I have a 2003 that in the beginning I rode alot expecially in the winter when I have more time and I'll go all winter with 1 oil change, yep that's right 3-4 months of riding 1 time per wk for 5-8hrs and no engine failures and the valves,piston,wrings, cylinder, timing chain etcc.. everything is still in spec. as it was just checked a few months back.

That is 60 - 128 hours with the same oil. I have never heard anyone riding that long with the same oil. So you ride around 240 - 380 hours annually and your '03 must now be ridden minimum 3 years = 720 - 1140 hours. That is very impressive.
When the bike was checked, what exactly was checked? At those hours the bikes I know have all been rebuilt several times. Well actually I do not know any dirtbikes with more than 400 hours on them. :thumbsup:

it's all the time the entire oil change after every ride/race is BS! If you want to then by all means do so but is it absolutely necessary NOPE. Plus for the water, mudd and etc.. thing I bet you go out and ride streams and water crossings and alot of mud you will end up with moisture in your bike.

All pro racers change the oil after every race heat 20 - 30 minutes.
All sunday riders I know do it between 2 - 10 hours.
These miniature F1 engines which share the same oil with the clutch and transmission do need the oil changed religiously, since the oil gets broken down and contaminated very quickly.
I still don't buy your theory that riding in mud and water will bring moisture in your oil. If that happens to you, please have your bike checked.

Either way you do what you want and I'll continue to ride my 3 yr old bike and my new one with common sense oil changes and I'll be riding as engine problem free as anyone else. Heck my 02 CRF I had to change valves more than the oil on my 03YZF.hehelol Now go ride and cart along all the oil you want on your trip and if you choose to take none it will be less you have to lug around and chances are, wont need.

I'm happy to hear your yzf has been problem free. I also agree it is everybody's own business to change the oil as often as they want.
I also agree that he won't notice any difference touring the Baja 5-6 days without changing the oil compared if he changed it every evening. Hopefully not. Or maybe he will. Who knows. :thumbsup:

• Milhaus

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:52 PM

It seems that there is quite a difference of opinion on oil change intervals. I usually go with factory recommended intervals as opposed to Jiffy Lube's recommended 3,000 mile interval. My latest cage actually calculates when it needs an oil change and they recommend that you DON'T change the oil until the light in the car comes on. It uses some sort of driving algorhythm to calculate when the oil is ready to be changed.

I ran across this on the web and found it interesting to our discussion from Click and Clack, the Car Talk Brothers:

TOM: The Europeans are trying to stretch the interval even farther. Manufacturers are reportedly trying to achieve a 30,000-mile oil-change interval with synthetic oil. So that might mean changing the oil once every three years over there!

RAY: Over here, we use mostly traditional, petroleum-based motor oil. And most manufacturers now recommend changing the oil every 7,500 miles. We recommend doing it every 5,000 miles, because we tend to be more cautious about protecting the engine. Very few people recommend changing the oil every 3,000 miles anymore. It's just not necessary, and the environmental cost is too high.

TOM: But maybe it's time for us to reconsider our recommendation? With engines AND oils getting better all the time, we might have to go up to 7,500 miles, too. Give us some time to think about it -- and dump our Exxon stock before making a formal recommendation.

I found another comment suggesting longer oil change intervals as well.

"I have scientific proof in the form of a series of oil assays that running longer than the factory interval is acceptable.

Changing oil early is a waste of time and money. Nobody who changes oil at less than factory suggested intervals has any evidence to support the increase in any value which offsets the waste of time and money (and drain on the planet's natural resources... think of the CHILDREN)."

In 2000 BMW in conjunction with Mobil ran tests on a 325i using Mobil1 synthetic oil and changed oil every 25,000 miles. All miles were run on a dyno and the test ran 24/7. The car ran OVER 1 million miles and at the end of the experiment the engine was broken down and measured and all internal parts were still within factory recommendations!! This article can be found in one of the Roundel issues.

Take it for what it is worth. I plan on doing 5 days in Baja and think I will perform one oil change and still be able to sleep at night! :thumbsup:

• xtreme165

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:22 AM

I very sincerely doubt that you have ever ridden your bike for eight hours during a single day, or certainly not at all often. The time between unloading the bike and loading it back up is not what counts, it's actual running time.

How much gas do you go through on one of these "8 hour" days?

8 hrs of actuall riding is alot but I know when we go out we are getting in a definate 5 hours of actuall riding and 3 tanks of gas is roughly is what I end up using as we refill/stash gas. Some day's are shorter and other's are longer. Either way yes I do not get to ride as much as I would like to these days as I'm always providing everyone one else with a place to do so. www.highvoltagemxpark.com & www.switchbackmx.com I'm just stating the facts that I have done and trust me when I say 3 time's in 1 yr oil change I mean that. While yes I may be stretching it I still say alot are changing way sooner than they have to and a 5 day baja with no oil change is no problem even riding 5-8hrs a day which he prob. will be if they do 130 plus miles/day.

• xtreme165

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:44 AM

It takes 5 minutes to drain both plugs and fill in 1 liter fresh oil right when the riding is done when the oil is still warm.

For you maybe 5 minutes but for me it takes me at least 10 minutes to find the tools and drain pan and then another 5-10 minutes to drain the oil and change the filter another 5 to add the oil and check it and another 5-10 to dispose of the oil if I dont just leave it sit in the pan in the garage only to spill it later which I usually do. Basically I am unorganized/ tool wise as my tools are thrown in 5 different tool boxes and rotate boxes or are left at the tracks in the dozer, tractor, water truck etc... basically nothing is ever were I need it to be as again I am alway's rushed and unorganized which is my fault but the way I operate/live and I hear if from my wife daily so I dont need you to tell me how I should be more organized.lol :bonk:

That is 60 - 128 hours with the same oil. I have never heard anyone riding that long with the same oil. So you ride around 240 - 380 hours annually and your '03 must now be ridden minimum 3 years = 720 - 1140 hours. That is very impressive.

No I ride 5-8hrs a day through the winter 1 day per wk and in the summer I prob. only ride 1-2 hrs on the tracks when I do get to ride as I know I put 2000hrs on a dozer in one yr and that's just building/grooming my tracks so I would say my dozer has more time on it than my bike does easily and I know my bike doesnt have 720 hrs on it. My old bikes def. did when I raced and practiced alot before I turned something I love into a headache (motocross/tracks etc..).
When the bike was checked, what exactly was checked? At those hours the bikes I know have all been rebuilt several times. Well actually I do not know any dirtbikes with more than 400 hours on them. :thumbsup:
My mechanic checked everything as again I dont have time to do so. He checked everything valve clearance, piston wear, rings, timing chain etc... as he is very good and patient and does all this for me as I let him use my equipment when needed. I spend more time working on irrigation systems, water trucks, dozer's, tractors, water pump's, fixing irrigation lines that I just hit with the chissel plows yesterday that use to be 4ft underground but we made a big bowel turn and needelss to say I plowed deep and hit the line. It's always something not to mention my full time job, family etc... again I have very little time. :thumbsup:

All pro racers change the oil after every race heat 20 - 30 minutes.
I know a factory Suzuki rider that put's in multiple moto's 30 minutes plus 2 in 1 day and he does no oil changes while he's riding?
All sunday riders I know do it between 2 - 10 hours.
I know alot of Sunday rider's that change there oil way to often but again I'm not saying they shouldnt just telling a guy that he will be fine on a baja trip either way (changing or not changing the oil).
These miniature F1 engines which share the same oil with the clutch and transmission do need the oil changed religiously, since the oil gets broken down and contaminated very quickly.
Yes, things need oil changes but not that often! I still say change when you feel you or anyone else needs to but it doesnt need changed as often as alot say.
I still don't buy your theory that riding in mud and water will bring moisture in your oil. If that happens to you, please have your bike checked.
Again,my bike was checked and everything is fine and yes moisture can and will get into everything.

I'm happy to hear your yzf has been problem free. I also agree it is everybody's own business to change the oil as often as they want.
I also agree that he won't notice any difference touring the Baja 5-6 days without changing the oil compared if he changed it every evening. Hopefully not. Or maybe he will. Who knows. :confused:

Yes he will notice a differance in his wallet, time, and storage on the trip of carrying the the 6 quarts of oil needed to change it every evening plus the tools, waste oil, filter's, rag's etc... Plus there is alot more I said in the above text that somehow was thrown into your quote.hehelol :bonk:

• SureBlue

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:27 AM

Xtreme, we are doing things different and I respect your opinion, but even more I respect the way you can communicate in positive manner.

• xtreme165

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Ya, most have problems communicating let alone staying calm and reasonable.lol As I deal with all kinds expecially at the tracks. I found out you cant make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. Just as some arent happy unless they are complaining/bitching about something. :thumbsup:
I'll be the first to admitt that I dont change it as much as I should but some are the opposite and change more than needed.lol Now I want to go ride but I'm stuck here at work and have a new bike at home and 2 tracks to ride on and no time to do so because equipment sucks, the heat sucks and I HATE WATERING as it is the hardest/most pain in the butt part about a track other than the idiot people that complain and try to get the places closed down. See now I'm bitching. :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I like to change oil frequently. For me that is every 2-3 rides (I don't race but ride 3-4 hours at a time). Besides making sure the oil is clean, this way I know that the level of the oil is always right..

Remember to torque the drain bolt correctly.....

• ncmountainman

Posted April 04, 2006 - 05:42 AM

xtreme; i've wrenched on everything from mopeds to nuclear subs and i've never assumed that theory of that oil is ok just leave it in :confused: if you can,change it. i run rotella;buy it by the gallon and it costs $2 per change :thumbsup: if your that broke you shouldn't be riding. i'll send ya a quart of oil changed out after one HS race and you tell me (us) if you'd put it back into your bike as far as changing oil in baja,where is all your gas coming from? if its stashed then stash oil with it. if there are stations they more than likely have oil also :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.