oil problem

4 replies to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted February 23, 2006 - 04:17 PM

I bought a used 2005 yz450 and first thing i did was change the oil, it came out real black and dirty. I didn't have a filter so I left that alone. As soon as I fired it up to check the level the new oil was dirty. So I go and get a filter and some more oil and change it again. It still comes out real dirty right away. how fast does your guys oil turn dirty, I would think it should last longer than this.

• new2blu

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:43 PM

It should be quite clean on the dipstick after the oil change. Are you removing the frame oil drain (behind the front wheel), the bottom engine (12 or 14mm bolt) and the small 8mm bolt on the left side of the engine?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • River4Life

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Drain that frame oil resivor!

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:54 AM

• DRH

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:27 AM

You may want to check with the previous owner to see what he was running for oil. Maybe he was throwing in some graphite type oil he had on a shelf. That stuff is black when it comes out of the container. Do what the others have said, drain the oil from the frame as well. If it were me, I would run several cans of cheap stuff through the system before riding it, and would continue to do so, until it came out clean. Another step you can do, is to remove the clutch assembly and clean it be hand, thats where most of the dirty stuff would be,,,,,

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.