starting tips

22 replies to this topic
  • bodhi84

Posted February 23, 2006 - 10:51 AM

just bought a 2001 wr 426 having trouble with the decomp. just not used to it yet. any tips , thanx

• clark4131

Posted February 23, 2006 - 10:58 AM

http://www.thumperfa...rting_drill.htm ...SC

• bodhi84

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:15 AM

thanx will try

• Ripmeister

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:43 PM

A couple of things that helped me on my 02 426:

1. Put it in 1st gear and roll it backwards until it stops - put back in neutral without rolling it and then kick it. I guess that puts things in the proper place ?? Wives tale? I don't know, but at first that was the way I got mine started

2. I'm 6' 200lbs and the only way I can cold start the damn thing is to have it on its kickstand, choke it, stand on the pegs, and the wail back and kick the :thumbsup: out of it. NO THROTTLE EVER! EVEN TO "PRIME" IT. Grab the brake lever to keep you from twisting the throttle. It'll fire up for me on about the 5th to 8th good hard kick and idle until it warms up a little. Once it's hot it always fires up on the first kick and I don't have to have the stand down - I can do a quick kick while it's balanced. I don't really use the decomp except to cycle it through and clear it out if I have a tough time with it. But it might help you get a better angle to kick it.

3. Kick it good every time. If you lazy kick it it will crack at least the crankcase cover, and it may split the whole case. I found that out last fall on a trail way back in . . . it sucked.

Great bike - good luck :thumbsup:

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:06 AM

I have the 01 wr426 real easy to start. I am 5'8" tall and 178lbs. The trick is to rotate the motor with the kick starter till you cant push it through. Then use the decompression to get it just past that point. Then let go of decompression. Now it is ready to kick but make sure you have opened your petcock and put the choke on for atleast 15 to 20 seconds. Then kick usually 1st or 2nd kick fires right up.

• Bamster

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:26 AM

I have the 01 wr426 real easy to start. I am 5'8" tall and 178lbs. The trick is to rotate the motor with the kick starter till you cant push it through. Then use the decompression to get it just past that point. Then let go of decompression. Now it is ready to kick but make sure you have opened your petcock and put the choke on for atleast 15 to 20 seconds. Then kick usually 1st or 2nd kick fires right up.

Don't forget to get it a couple of twists of the throttle before you kick it.
Make sure you don't twist the throttle when your kicking it.

• bodhi84

Posted February 24, 2006 - 11:32 AM

thanks for the tips, work well

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:39 PM

Don't forget to get it a couple of twists of the throttle before you kick it.
Make sure you don't twist the throttle when your kicking it.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TWIST THE THROTTLE AT ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE A BIT CH OF A TIME STARTING IT.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 25, 2006 - 06:02 PM

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TWIST THE THROTTLE AT ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE A BIT CH OF A TIME STARTING IT.

if its COLD I mean COOOOOOLD like below 30F you can twist the throttle 2 or three times, and it helps. IF you are 40F or over NEVER use throttle.

• Yamadirt 426

Posted February 25, 2006 - 08:29 PM

[quote name='ToooFaarOutt']I have the 01 wr426 real easy to start. I am 5'8" tall and 178lbs. The trick is to rotate the motor with the kick starter till you cant push it through. Then use the decompression to get it just past that point. Then let go of decompression. Now it is ready to kick but make sure you have opened your petcock and put the choke on for atleast 15 to 20 seconds. Then kick usually 1st or 2nd kick fires right up.[/QUO

This is the proper way to start this bike. No throttle. If you do flood it then just pull the hot start. I'm 5'4 160. My bike kicks over 1st or 2nd everytime anytime.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 25, 2006 - 08:45 PM

1. find TDC (hard to kick)
2. pull compression release
3. kick 1-2 in past TDC
4. release comp release
5 raise kicker back up and kick through

OR

put in an 03 WR450 exhaust cam. works like a champ had my first ride today aftert the mod and it was SCHWEEET.

Throttle:

don't use it if its above 40F you will flood the engine

per the shp manual and personal experience, if it's COLD twist and release throttle 1-3 times and then start at number 1 OR :

Don't prime the throttle and do steps 1-5 for about 15 minutes. I've done both. trust me, when its COLD it's better to use the throttle

• steve lemley

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Not to mention being thrown off the bike from backlach, i never give either one of my bikes any throttle at all and they start first kick almost every time, that doesent mean some might not need it though. My point being, I have two wrs. One starts great at exact top dead and the other I have to bring to top dead and then a hair past then it starts everytime. Some are picky but once you find what it likes, it will be nice to you... :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:41 AM

When starting my bike for the first time of the day it likes a couple twists of the throtle. After it's been riden and stoped , then restarted. No throtle.
Anybody I now who has had an early WR 400,YZ400/426 has done it the same way. My bike almost always starts first or second kick. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Mine is a 99 and I guess them im in the minority :thumbsup: . I never give mine any gas and it starts first or always second kick :bonk: . I guess like I said, no matter what its little trick is, once you figure each bike out it will start first or second every time :thumbsup: . One of mine is completely different from the other and if I try to do ones technique to the other it usually doesent like it but for the other bike its perfect??? Maybe ill try the throttle thing on cold days and see if it helps you never know... :bonk: I love it... Machinery with a personality :bonk: !!!!!!!!!!

• SERTBAT

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Went riding yesterday and had a bi ch of a time trying to get the bike started after about 2/3 way through the day. Fired right up cold but hot was a different story. Using a Dr. D hot start, which is an awesome idea, and it still would have a hard time firing up. Any thoughts. I have not had my valves adj. yet and some have said that might help?? Not sure and wondering if anyone could help. My bike is an 00' YZF 426, but only has about 8 rides on it.

• bluebike1999

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:21 PM

Not to mention being thrown off the bike from backlach, i never give either one of my bikes any throttle at all and they start first kick almost every time, that doesent mean some might not need it though. My point being, I have two wrs. One starts great at exact top dead and the other I have to bring to top dead and then a hair past then it starts everytime. Some are picky but once you find what it likes, it will be nice to you... :thumbsup:

yeah that kickback can really hurt
http://img.photobuck...9/boot_0948.jpg

kickstarter came clean through the boot and i just about kneed myself in the head . NO throttle on start.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 27, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Mine is a 99 and I guess them im in the minority :thumbsup: . I never give mine any gas and it starts first or always second kick :eek: . I guess like I said, no matter what its little trick is, once you figure each bike out it will start first or second every time :thumbsup: . One of mine is completely different from the other and if I try to do ones technique to the other it usually doesent like it but for the other bike its perfect??? Maybe ill try the throttle thing on cold days and see if it helps you never know... :eek: I love it... Machinery with a personality :bonk: !!!!!!!!!!

Steve

might not get cold enough out there in California. I ran a race in Dec where it was about 18F in the monring. I kicked for almost 20 minutes before she would start. Last week while doing the cam mod, I was flipping through the shop manual, and it said for COLD starts prime a little 2-3 twists. It happened to be about 23F so I thought I'd give it a shot before tearing her down. HOLY COW fired on the first kick! I too have heard from MANY people NEVER EVER give her gas before starting, but those guys were in TX where I used to ride. below 30 is RARE there so for their situation sure, but I've found for cold, my baby likes a little priming.

Ride on Bro :bonk: :bonk:

• idahoaggie99

Posted February 27, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Steve

might not get cold enough out there in California. I ran a race in Dec where it was about 18F in the monring. I kicked for almost 20 minutes before she would start. Last week while doing the cam mod, I was flipping through the shop manual, and it said for COLD starts prime a little 2-3 twists. It happened to be about 23F so I thought I'd give it a shot before tearing her down. HOLY COW fired on the first kick! I too have heard from MANY people NEVER EVER give her gas before starting, but those guys were in TX where I used to ride. below 30 is RARE there so for their situation sure, but I've found for cold, my baby likes a little priming.

Ride on Bro :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I give it two twists whether it's 15F or 75F. Starts the same way every time. It may be different for other bikes, but my 426 won't kick me back. :bonk:

• steve lemley

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:13 PM

hot, cold, gas or no gas one way or another, we all get um running and thats the key... Figuring out what gets um running and sticking to it bodhi84

I wish mine didnt kick back every now and then dame it hurts like hell, i did it with flip flops on once holly sheep shiiiit batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: my foot was literally knob for ten minutes and broused for 2 weeks. I think thats what really scares me about giving it any gas. I also think having or not having the blue wire and the exhaust cam yz timing mods done would make a difference in the starting behavior purly because they effect the amount of voltage at start and the cam timing but I could be wrong??? in any case cheers my fellow riders :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup:

• Numskull

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:49 PM

yeah that kickback can really hurt
http://img.photobuck...9/boot_0948.jpg

kickstarter came clean through the boot and i just about kneed myself in the head . NO throttle on start.

Holly boot smoke :thumbsup: Thats what I call a kick back!!

Thanks for the info on your kick backs from priming the motor. Super high compression to begin with, then add some some fuel, with a slow kick, bad things can happen to your foot.

When its cold outside there is know dought that the motor needs a richer mixture to fire. A couple pumps on the gas will get you going. But over 50 degrees, if you need to prime it, you probably need to adjust your pilot jet.

Just remember, if you push the kicker just past the compression(about an inch) then return the kicker all the way to the top, then give it one serious kick all the way, your kick backs probably wont happen. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.