Tip for the L riders.

27 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:36 AM

rmhrc630,

Why don't you just get the 650L flywheel? Are they of different diameters?

You can get any dimension needle bearing made. There are catalogs you can get, but not from a motorcycle shop. Buy either Americn bearings or Japanese bearings. Don't buy Mylasian bearings. I don't have a source catalog, but I've seen them before.

You could also have a machine shop modify your XR600R flywheel to maybe accomodate the sprag clutch. You are talking a lot of money though.

It would actually be cheaper to buy a used 650L motor and just bolt it right up into your XR600R's frame.

Hey LOB

beat ya to it. already have a 650L flywheel

asked the guy who was rewinding the 600 R stator and he said the entire 650l system was vastly different.

the 650L CDI has all these cutouts and needs DC power BEFPORE THE BIKE STARTS. The 600R however will start off kick and needs no DC. He said the starting voltage of the 650L was like 15 volts whereas with the 600R it was 90 volts.

however -the 650L flwyheel requires the 650L stator and as you know the wntire 650L electrical systme is different.

The 650L is a 3 phase massive stator and flwyheel - as you know flywheesl and stators are a pair.

I toyed with the idea of transplanting the entire 650L wiring system - however the 650L CDI is not better than the 600Rs.

I have to use the 600R flywheel. It is a better outcome. Much lighter and newer

• rmhrc630

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:40 AM

rmhrc630,

It would actually be cheaper to buy a used 650L motor and just bolt it right up into your XR600R's frame.

You're right but the novelty of estart is so great!!!!

LOB since when does logic appear in a electric start conversion? :eek:

it's more about doing it now than expense. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :eek:

I just want a HRC658 electric start 600R!!!!

thanks for your help about the bearing stuff - we use SKF and all the jap bearings down here

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:28 PM

rmhrc630,

You are right. I must eat my own words.

And while you are at it, since when does owning dirtbikes have anything to do with logic??

Here I am talking about expensive... I'm ignoring the wheel barrels full of money that I've thrown into motorcycles over the last ten years.

Please forgive me :thumbsup:

• Zombie_Stomp

Posted December 16, 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hey, speaking of interchangeabilities, I'm going to be putting a 1983 XL600R dual carb head on a 1998 XR600R bottom end. Which piston should I use? I will be overboring it because I need to go oversize to get the cylinder I have to work. This will get me a total of 628-653CCs depending on whether I go 1mm or 2mm over the 100mm bore. Then, since I am using the xr600r crank with it's 80mm stroke, it leaves me wondering which piston will be right. The XR650L wouldn't be quite right since that's got an 82mm crank, so what would give me at least XL-level compression, anyone know? Check other posts by me (click my avatar to see), there is another thread going on this topic that I didn't see some of you here replying to, check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DT1

Posted December 17, 2008 - 07:57 AM

The rear caliper on my 04 L is the same as the one on my sons 03 CR85RB, so anyone wanting a guard to protect the rear caliper order up one for a CR85RB. I don't know how many years for each works. It is a direct bolt on. I got one from Ron Ayers for $24.42 to my door including the two bolts to hold it on. :thumbsup:

I hope you're right. I just ordered one.

• DT1

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:18 AM

The rear caliper on my 04 L is the same as the one on my sons 03 CR85RB, so anyone wanting a guard to protect the rear caliper order up one for a CR85RB. I don't know how many years for each works. It is a direct bolt on. I got one from Ron Ayers for $24.42 to my door including the two bolts to hold it on. :busted:

Thanks for the tip ghoti! I just got one from Honda Parts Direct for $23.87 to my door. Put it on this morning and It's a perfect fit.
I almost bought a beat up used one that was advertised as a 650L part on ebay. I stopped my bidding at $40.00 and it went for over $50.00.
Really Cool!! However, The cat still isn't impressed...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Memnok

Posted December 30, 2008 - 07:58 PM

The cat still isn't impressed...

Dude, your cat is freakin' me out.

If anyone is intrested, the part number should be 43340-KS6-831 and looks to be avalible at TT.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted December 31, 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the tip ghoti! I just got one from Honda Parts Direct for $23.87 to my door. Put it on this morning and It's a perfect fit.
I almost bought a beat up used one that was advertised as a 650L part on ebay. I stopped my bidding at $40.00 and it went for over $50.00.
Really Cool!! However, The cat still isn't impressed...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Good Deal!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.