Chain Links?

5 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted February 22, 2006 - 10:19 PM

I finally got my WR400F back together except the chain!

I had to wait for some backordered parts to come in!

It was fun putting everything back together!

I learned a lot!

I had to pay $15 to a Dirtbike dealership to mound the tire for me and I had to get a friend to take out the old bearing and put in the new bearings!

I put loctite on the new Talon Sprocket Bolts and the Brake Disc Bolts!

I have new chain, sprockets, bearings, tire, tube, fork guards, side panels, seat cover, chain rub plate, chain guide and rear disc guard, not to mention all of the aftermarket parts I have on it! :thumbsup:

I put 14/47 size sprockets and have 120 links in the new chain!

Does anybody know how many chain links I should cut off?

Does anybody have 14/47 size sprockets on their WR?

I'm scared I will cut it too short!

How many links should go on a 14/47 sprocket set-up?

• Birdy426

Posted February 22, 2006 - 10:44 PM

What did you have on it before? I assume the sprockets were bigger...

COunt the number of pins (not "links") in your old chain, determine the number of fewer total sprocket teeth you have in your new set up, subtract half that number from the number of pins in your old chain. That's how many pins you want in the new change.

• tmckeown

Posted February 22, 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

I'm using 14/48 on my bike.

Put rear axle as forward as you can, put chains on its place then it will be easy to look from where to cut.

Timo Mc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcusmoberg

Posted February 23, 2006 - 12:29 AM

What did you have on it before? I assume the sprockets were bigger...

COunt the number of pins (not "links") in your old chain, determine the number of fewer total sprocket teeth you have in your new set up, subtract half that number from the number of pins in your old chain. That's how many pins you want in the new change.

I threw my chain in the garage when I took it off! He Ha

I'll figure something out! :thumbsup:

• marcusmoberg

Posted February 23, 2006 - 12:33 AM

It was the stock sprockets and chain I had on before.

I guess it was 14/49!

• marcusmoberg

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:36 AM

I had to take off 3 or 4 links for the chain to go on properly so it won't be too loose!

It came with a rivet link or whatever that is!

Do I have to put that on it!

I will probably have to take off a couple more links so the chain tensioners won't be extended all the way out!

I'm so glad I got it put back together! :thumbsup:

I cranked it up and drove it and man what a difference with all the new parts, simply amazing! :thumbsup:

I was cruising at 45 MPH in 3rd gear at mid RPM! :bonk:

I never got past 3rd gear! :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.