03 WR450F Wont start easily

9 replies to this topic
  • crashklein

Posted February 22, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Help Please,
I think that the dealer cut the gray wire and removed the throttle stop but dont know how to verify this. I almost run my battery down trying to start the bike when its warm(the engine).Outside temp does not seem to make a difference. I have adjusted the mixture all over the board, I have tried pilot jets: 48 and now 50 to try to get more fuel. The bike starts easier with the kick start than the E start. Could the e start be drawing from my spark? I have a new battery. This bike has been like this from day one.
Steve
crashklein@aol.com

• dbailey223

Posted February 22, 2006 - 09:11 PM

Maybe a larger starter jet in the carb would help? Not sure if you even have one in the 98 450, but my 2003 does.

• snakesausage

Posted February 22, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Valves that are out of specification will make a bike hard to start.

• TARFELE

Posted February 23, 2006 - 05:49 AM

If it were a valve issue then it would be hard with the e-start and the kick start. Do you agree?

• crashklein

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:29 AM

It is not always that easy to start with the kick, just easier than the E.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:33 AM

The WR's are known for weak starters (at least 03's). I usually kick mine when cold and then e start after it's hot. Just push the hot start and e start with no throttle and it usually fires right up. The bigger starter jet definitely helps cold starts. I wouldn't think you need any bigger than the 48 pilot.
Has the carb been apart? Is it possible the slide is in upside down?

• crashklein

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have gone through one starter. the carb has been apart but is correct. The hot start with no throttle doesnt work. I find that if I give the throttle a squirt and then play with the hot start it starts sooner.

• crashklein

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:46 AM

I have gone through one starter. the carb has been apart but is correct. The hot start with no throttle doesnt work. I find that if I give the throttle a squirt and then play with the hot start it starts sooner.

• mtrablue

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:49 PM

if your starting the bike for the first time or it's cold out you'll need to twist the throttle four or five times (at least) before starting. my buddy brought home his '04 (i have an '03) and complained that the dealer couldn't get the thing to start. ran the battery down trying. next morning i twisted the throttle six times before touching the button and it fired right up. the look on his face was worth a million bucks. the idea is to let the accelerator pump squirt raw fuel into the intake.

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted February 25, 2006 - 11:08 AM

I had this same problem but If I turn the air-idler screw a twist or two to the right when trying to e-start cold it fires up alot easier. Then I just set it back to where it needs to be.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.