WR400 Cam lobes (low power/overheating)

1 reply to this topic
  • chancho196

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:24 PM

I've just checked the timing on this WR400 because I was convinced she'd jumped a tooth and was running retarded. I've reset the inlet cam so that the marks are level with the head and counted 12 pins of the chain to set the exhaust cam. This is also level with the head but I've read that it should be a tooth higher because it is now set at YZ timing! This I put down to camchain stretch.
Anyway, I put it back together and started it. It now starts easily and ticks over (before I was kicking it over forever!!!). It still won't rev properly but I have a question. Are the lobes on the inlet cam all meant to open together or are they staggered? These lobes are all out of line which would explain the poor running. I know of Isuzu diesels whose engines will move the pressed on lobes on their camshafts if the pistons touch the valves. Anybody got a cam out at the moment who could let me know? Cheers folks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:30 PM

The cam is machined out of 1 piece of metal but the gear is pressed on so it is possible the gear slipped.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.