Bar risers: Hype or Really Effective

11 replies to this topic
  • sbrown

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:34 AM

I read the MXA article and they raved about the 06 YZ 450. I agree, I bought one, its a great bike and light years better than their previous 450's. However, the raise the bar 10 MM idea, is that really necessary for someone 5'10"? Has someone in that height range actually made the change and did it do any good? Remember, placebo effects (fake treatments or the belief that a change has got to be better) do affect people's actual ratings and judgements of a particular device or modification. With that in mind, who has changed the height and did you think it helped or wasnt really anoticeable change?

• SPLATT

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:40 AM

It doesn't actually raise them just pushes them forward or back. Which means that a shorter person can run them towards the back and not feel stretched out. A taller person can run them forward and not feel cramped.

Steve

• Ga426owner

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:48 AM

can be effective - depends on you and ergonomically where your position is on the bike. I swapped to Windham bend bars as they are higher than the stock Protaper's that sit really low for me, it made the bike feel better to me and I could get over the front easier....It is a curious bend that Yami decided on....not really sure how it was decided on unless it was a decision made in Japan - from the "shorter riders" point of view :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:51 AM

is that really necessary for someone 55'10"

If you're nearly 56 feet tall, I don't think bar risers are going to help that much. :thumbsup:

• DOIWANTATHUMPER

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:53 AM

haha grayracer beat me too it, i was gonna joke on you about the same thing :thumbsup:

• sbrown

Posted February 22, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Sorry major typo (5'10") is what i meant

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sbrown

Posted February 22, 2006 - 12:29 PM

You're sure it doesnt really raise them. Why call them risers? And why are people going to a higher bar if the "rise" isnt what they're after? In addition, I think I read somewhere that the 06 450's triple clamps allowed for some fore and aft adjustability. I couldnt find anything in my owners manual that said how to change this alleged adjustment. Does anybody here know what the adjustment issue is fore/aft and if different risers actually work for someone less than 56 foot tall, like 5'10"?

• sleighdriver

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Yes, they do actually raise the handle bar up. You can get them in a 10mm and 15mm rise. It's an alternative to buying a completely new set of bars (with a taller bend). Yamaha's have been known (for years) to have a lowish feeling handle bar.

To move the bar fore of aft just spin the bar riser around 180*. The mounting bolt is off center to the riser itself, so it allows for a small adjustment by simply repositioning the risers

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 22, 2006 - 03:05 PM

I read the same articles that said to raise the bars higher. I had a set of Renthal Fat Bars with the RC high bend and didn't like them. I recently removed the RC bend and put the stock bars back on. I will try them for a while. I guess it is what every you are used to.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 22, 2006 - 03:57 PM

I'm 6' 0" (or I guess that would be 60 feet tall the way you're measuring :thumbsup: ) and I went from stock to a pair of Windham bend ProTapers... and now I'm adding a 10mm riser to the Windhams. Stockers were way too low for my riding style.

Also, getting the bend specifics for the stock bars out of ProTaper (so I could determine what bend I wanted to go to) was like pulling teeth. I never got the actual specs, but PT did tell me that the stockers were closest to their Carmichael bend.

Everythings else on the bike rocks (after a few necessary changes -- like swapping out the front tire etc...) but I've had a heck of a time trying to get the bars just right.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Sorry major typo (5'10") is what i meant

Believe it or not, I figured that out all by myself. :thumbsup:

Some risers are offset to allow fore and aft adjustment as well.

• jrcgaf364

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:29 PM

I have a set of risers on my yamaha and i will never go back..... being tall and skinney the stock yamaha bars felt like they were cramping me up in corneres and such i love the risers....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.