Totaled XR600R ???

9 replies to this topic
  • Blade Man

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:50 AM

Hey all. I wrecked my 94 XR600R last Sunday and really messed it up bad. I came out ok but I'm not sure what to do with the bike.

For starters it exploded the back wheel bending the rim and pulling a bunch of the spokes out of the hub. Broke the front wheel,bent the bars, and broke the frame in 4 places.

The brakes where already worn out.

Anyhow the motor is great (628 @ 11:1) and pretty new and I love this bike so I would like to salvage it if I can. However is it worth salvaging ??? I am afraid that I will have so much money in it that I could have bought a newer 650R for the same. What do you guys think ???

If its worth Salvaging where do I find a Frame ? Or other used stuff ? Or should I get all new stuff ?

Please help me Rationalize this.

• HondaRules

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:24 AM

wow, what the heck did you do?

As for the bike, not sure what to tell you other than maybe look around a bit and see if you can find anything. You might try a salvage yard I think it's in Tempe somewhere, I can't remember the name of it :thumbsup: Otherwise, you might be better off just finding a used XR600 and then stick your current engine in there...then either parting out the rest to sell in hopes of making some money back, just a thought :thumbsup: A buddy of mine knows a guy that has a '93 XR600 with a cracked side case that might sell for relatively cheap, guess it's been sitting for about 2 or 3 years now.

• Blade Man

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:35 AM

I found a deep ditch in the desert at around 85 mph or so. Igot real lucky no broken bones !!! I am real interested in the 600 with the broken side case if he will sell. Do you think you can put me in touch with him? Any thing will Help. Thanks

• SDBSKI

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:40 AM

There is a 650L frame on EBAY-$25.00 start bid, auction ends soon. You better ask questions about the title though. Do a search on ebay for xr650l and it should turn up.

• oldturtle

Posted February 22, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I found a deep ditch in the desert at around 85 mph or so...

Do you mind sharing whether or not you got on the gas when you saw ditch or if you got on brakes or if the mind and bod just seized up. Been there and done that.
Several years ago we had a big fin big bore from I think it was an 88 that we swapped around between several XR600s. It is sometimes handy to have a backup motor. If you cannot find a blown 600 look for a nice one and you will have spares.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blade Man

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:07 PM

Do you mind sharing whether or not you got on the gas when you saw ditch or if you got on brakes or if the mind and bod just seized up. Been there and done that.

I dont mind at all. It was obvious when I saw it that there was no chance of getting through it without injury to myself or the bike so I tried to soften the blow as much as posible.

Brake hard to last posible moment and then gas hard. Barely got front wheel up enough to keep it from folding up the front end.
The problem was that there was no real time to get enough braking done to slow me down much.

I'm just glad to have walked away from it.

• rmhrc630

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:31 PM

I dont mind at all. It was obvious when I saw it that there was no chance of getting through it without injury to myself or the bike so I tried to soften the blow as much as posible.

Brake hard to last posible moment and then gas hard. Barely got front wheel up enough to keep it from folding up the front end.
The problem was that there was no real time to get enough braking done to slow me down much.

I'm just glad to have walked away from it.

do you gas it to extend the suspension or was that to lift the front wheel?

hope you and your bike get better!!

• Blade Man

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:37 PM

do you gas it to extend the suspension or was that to lift the front wheel?

hope you and your bike get better!!

To lift the front wheel. It was very steep on the other side.

• bigtooth

Posted February 25, 2006 - 01:52 PM

If you decided to sell the bike as parts I may be interested in the motor. I have a '91 xr600r and ever since I bought it I've had trouble with it. The guy who owned it sold it to me with a seized oil pump and I had to replace the cam and rockerarms. It still smokes when its cold and I did a compression test on it today and I could only get 50psi out of it. It was cold and cold out (Vermont: about 15 F today) but I stilll would have thought I would have gotten better compression. Anyway sorry to complain about my issues in your thread but if you do decide to sell parts I'd be interested.....If the motor would mount up. I wish you the best of luck in your xr endeavors and was glad to read that you didnt get injured in your spill. Ride on!

• 4whlfun

Posted February 25, 2006 - 02:08 PM

There is a motorcycle wrecking yard at 51st ave and camelback that has a xr650l frame and a lot of other honda frames in it. I seen them when I was trying to find a back wheel for my XR650R. He may have what you need. He had the back wheel but the rim was cracked. He also had a front. I could have bought the wheel for 50 but that was when I saw the crack. So I had monkeybut put a excell rim and spoke for me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.