Heated grips for my L

10 replies to this topic
  • sgifford

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:39 PM

I need to get heated grips. I often ride in cold weather, and I'm tired of my hands getting cold. By the end of my 45 minute commute this morning in a damp 35 degrees, my fingers were hurting.

I know some of you have installed heated grips. I'd appreciate any comments on what brand/style you got, and how they work for you.

• knuklehead

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:12 PM

the one I have come from parts unlimited ( atv catalog) there on my 650r,250x,buell xb12s,and I want to put them on my cr500af. once you have them you want them on every thing :thumbsup:

• RedRider250X

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:14 PM

the one I have come from parts unlimited ( atv catalog) there on my 650r,250x,buell xb12s,and I want to put them on my cr500af. once you have them you want them on every thing :thumbsup:

I want your bike collection :thumbsup:

• knuklehead

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:21 PM

allso I have a crf250r, if that make you even more jealous :thumbsup:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:49 PM

I've considered installing a second heating element on the clutch side. The throttle side heats up quicker, sometime too hot. When it is under 20 degrees Fahrenheit, the tips of both of my thumbs feel like they are frozen.

A good set of wind barriers are a huge plus. My Acerbis hand guards are not enough at highway speeds when it drops below about 25 F.

That statement is correct! Once you have heated grips, you really will want them on everything that you ride during the winter.

I have a picture HERE
You can see where I stalled the switch. There is just enough room in there for it. Also visible are some remnants to the additions I put on the Acerbis hand guards to give my hands better portection from the cold air.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sgifford

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Sean: In your pic, it looks like the heating element is on the outside of the handgrip? Where did you get them?

knuklehead: Did you get the heating elements that you place under/over the grips? Or heated grips that replaced your old grips?

Thanks.

• knuklehead

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:23 AM

Mine are under the grips. The only prob I've had in 5yrs is the throttle side wires break from the twisting, fixed buy safety wiring the wires( or zip tie) to the grip its self,kind of a strain releaf.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:47 AM

sgifford,

The wires lead to the heating pad that is underneath the grips. The heating pads stick around the bar with their own sticky adhesive, and then the grips slide over the heating pad. The grips are glued to the pads with regular grip glue. The grips that I have are Spider Grips.

Here is what they look like:
(from here: http://motorcycleinf...s.html#HotGrips)
Posted Image

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 22, 2006 - 09:26 PM

I went to a sporting goods store and bought low temp ski mittens; the kind with the nylon outer mitten and interior gloves. What a difference! I can ride in temps in the low teens on the highway and my hands stay warm. Much, much warmer than my thick leather Suzuki streetbike gloves with thin insulating gloves worn inside. I use the streetbike gloves by themselves down to about 55 F, then the streetbike gloves worn over thin insulating gloves down to about 35 F, then the mittens below that. They don't interfere with clutch, brake, etc. at all.

• sorenlaf

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I need to get heated grips. I often ride in cold weather, and I'm tired of my hands getting cold. By the end of my 45 minute commute this morning in a damp 35 degrees, my fingers were hurting.

I don't have these on my XR, but do on my ST1100 and F3.

First choice: dual star

second choice: kimpex

both are a stick-on element that goes onto your bar or throttle tube under the grip. Use any grip you like.

I haven't tried the dual star, but they have two advantages of the kimpex (which I have used and am quite happy with).

1) the ds has a hotter element for the left side. I addressed this by putting a piece of heat shrink tubing on the bar, the the heater on the tubing. Problem was that I had to go back and glue down the tubing.

2) the ds also has two separate filaments on the heating element. Low powers one, high powers both. With the kimpex, low puts a ballast resistor in series with the heaters and high bypasses the resistor. Draws more current on low and you have to find a place to mount a ballast resistor that gets fairly warm.

Both are around $25-$30.

Be sure to wire them to a switched circuit, or you'll wind up with a dead battery WHEN you forget to turn them off.

Max current draw is about 3amps.

A clean installation will take 2-3 hours for someone with decent soldering skills. By clean I mean no dangling wires, all connections soldered and covered with shrink tubing. If the bike goes off-road or rides in the rain, I would solder the wires, paint with liquid insulation stuff, then cover with two layers of shrink tubing and probably wrap the whole thing with the S'n'S (stretch and stick) tape. For a road bike, I omit the liquid insulation.

I've been known to go to NAPA and buy a headlight socket and some 1/4" tab crimp connectors (which get soldered) to pick up the headlight power w/o cutting any wires. Tabs go into headlight connector in wiring harness, they connect to new plug and whatever you need to power. Simply unplug to convert back to stock wiring.

Yeah, I'm kind of anal about it, but when it's done, any electrical changes I make work forever and are easily reversible. The original wiring is not cut.

• goblin127

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:21 AM

What about a set of those Hippo hands. Remember them! Got a bud who rides here in the northeast every day to work rain snow or noreaster and he swears by them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.