Super Moto

4 replies to this topic
  • Nige_Uk

Posted September 24, 2001 - 01:01 AM

I've just bought a WR400 2000 model & it came with two sets of wheels, of which I'm getting one set converted for Supermoto, but I've got a couple of query's, (1) What width of rims do I buy , (2) What dia do I get the wheels made to (I was thinking 17") & (3) What gearing should I use on the sprockets.
I don't want to change anything on the swinging arm as I'd just like to take one set of wheels out & pop in the others etc.
Also everybody's talking about "THE GREY WIRE", this may be a daft question but has the 2000 WR400 got one or is it just the 426's

Cheers for any info.

Nige

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted September 24, 2001 - 04:42 AM

- 17 " front and rear
- 3.5" width on front
- 4.25" on rear
- heavy duty spokes and nipples
- offset the rear spokes a fraction such that you avoid chain rub.
- gearing: 15 44 is typical
- GP wet on the front

Good luck
Mitch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • john_pearce

Posted September 24, 2001 - 05:06 AM

HI NIGE
I ALSO HAVE A WR400 Y2K ,I CANT HELP YOU
WITH YOUR QUESTION UNFORTANATELY ,BUT I
WONDER IF YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ANSWER A QUESTION FOR ME ?.
I MAKE DO WITH ONLY 1 SET OF WHEELS BUT I
FIND THAT I'M REPLACING TYRES LIKE THEY'RE
GOING OUT OF FASHION .I DUEL SPORT QUITE A BIT SO TO SAVE GETTING NICKED I RUN ROAD LEGAL ENDURO TYRES . I'VE RAN WITH MICH COMP 3'S , AND BRIDGESTONE ED04 WHICH IS A HARD SURFACE TYRE BUT AFTER ONLY 2 OUTINGS (APPROX 200 MILES )THE THINGS A 3RD DEAD ALREADY. WONDER IF YOU'VE GOT ANY TYRE RECOMMENDATIONS OR DO YOU THINK I SHOULD MAYBE PUT AN ADVERT OUT FOR SOME 2ND HAND MOTARD WHEELS??.

CHEERS
JOHN IN PORTSMOUTH

• Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted September 24, 2001 - 07:25 AM

I'm running 3.5x17 and 4.25x17. Mike at Wheelcraft helped me out. His email is MSzura8027@aol.com. I bought the Sun rims, Excel's were backordered. Don't foget you will want to buy a big front brake kit also; speak with Jim; info@map-engineering.com. This is by far, the cheapest way to go. Don't try to go wider than a 150 on the back.

Good luck.
Greg

• Nige_Uk

Posted September 25, 2001 - 02:03 AM

John,
Sounds like you get through alot of rubber ! , I don't know of any realy good tyres because if you get a realy hard compound & you ride on the roads alot you'll not have as much grip etc (same theory as 'sticky' tyres on road bikes, sticky (soft compound) = better grip)), & you don't want to go 'Road surfing !' its not good for the health !. All I would surgest is to look out for another set of wheels, try looking in TBM magazine (monthly) or Trials & Motorcross (weekly), or on this site etc.
Another solution would be to buy my 1998 Wr400 (which I'm selling ), then you don't need another set of wheels !!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.