Cake and eat it too !!!

9 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I want my cake and I want to eat it too ! :thumbsup:

After the typical WR450F mods, (Gray wire, airbox) is there a replacement pipe combination that would allow me to go from the louder free flowing exhaust to a quite more "stealthy" unit with ease ? Preferably one that would not cause the engine to run rich.
There are some areas I ride that I'd prefer to not be heard....

Thanks

• clark4131

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:57 PM

What're you running now? The stock exhaust is about the quietest thing out there, even with the internal baffle removed. After that, perhaps the FMF Q2 or the White Bros. E2...SC

• dbailey223

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:02 PM

One of the cheapest things is a PMB insert into your stock pipe. It will quiet it down a bunch and give noticeably better performance over the stock baffle.

To go up in performance and therefore cost, check out the posts by others about their pipes.

• pkcof

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Do a search on a site that sells Yamaha parts for one of these : GYT-5TA93-01-AL . I think you'll find that it can pretty much do everything that you want !!

• odonnks

Posted February 22, 2006 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the info.
To answer Clarks question, I recently sold my KTM dual sport and will pick-up the WR this week.

thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:03 AM

According to the hype, inserts give good performance gains at moderate noise increases and moderate /cheap prices. If power is also your aim (as it is for most) then you seem to have to trade hp for db if that makes sense?? . eg. FMF Powercore ( a big hit on WRs) is about 100db or twice the amount of noise than say a 96 db pipe (a 3db increase is like having 2 bikes running instead of one). Typically, I have read where say the FMF Q2, or E2, or stock exhaust with Insert put out around 93 to 96 db - go figure?? Stock is around 90db.

What're you running now? The stock exhaust is about the quietest thing out there, even with the internal baffle removed. After that, perhaps the FMF Q2 or the White Bros. E2...SC

I hear (excuse the pun) FMF say the Q2 is around 93 db, but tests put it at around 94 to 96.
It all just numbers really and does not much...
To complicate your cjhoice, have a look at these dyno graphs from the FMFracing web which actually show a typical insert is a good power performer vs. the Q2.
03 WR with Q2 vs Insert:
http://www.fmfracing...oroom.asp#yam18
FMF Racing

NOT MUCH HELP EH! What you really need to do is listen to a few bikes with various pipes. Someone should put noise to their advertising!!
PMB insert is looking good. :thumbsup: for $ well spent.
If you want to spend money then I also suggest Q2 or E2. Plenty of opinion in past threads on both these pipes.
Good luck
Colin

• snmhanson

Posted February 23, 2006 - 02:38 AM

FMF Powercore ( a big hit on WRs) is about 100db or twice the amount of noise than say a 96 db pipe (a 3db increase is like having 2 bikes running instead of one). Colin

Is this number right? I have heard that the Ti Powercore runs at 96-98 db without the quiet core. Does anyone who has one or has personally heard one have any idea if 100db is correct? Also, any idea on how loud it is with the quiet core? I have one on order but I may cancel it if it is that loud. Thanks.

Matt

• clark4131

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:07 AM

During R&D, the TiPo was tested a 100db on a 250, and I can confirm that it's quite a bit louder than the Q2 on my '05. According to FMF, the quiet core will drop it back down to the 96db range, when it becomes available. The power increase over the Q2 was dramatic...SC

• snmhanson

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Allright, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just take my chances and stay the course but I sure hope the quiet core works well. My local track has a db limit of 96 and I really don't want to be any louder than that on the trails either. Also, the 90 db stock for the WR450 that OneToGo quoted, is that with the baffle removed or still in? Thanks.

Matt

• nothingleft

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:42 AM

I hear (excuse the pun) FMF say the Q2 is around 93 db, but tests put it at around 94 to 96.
It all just numbers really and does not much...
To complicate your cjhoice, have a look at these dyno graphs from the FMFracing web which actually show a typical insert is a good power performer vs. the Q2.
03 WR with Q2 vs Insert:
http://www.fmfracing...oroom.asp#yam18
FMF Racing
Colin

Man after looking at that graph comparing the insert to the Q2, it does not sell me on upgrading the exhaust beyond the PMB insert. It appears they both show the same peak hp. The only real difference is the Q2 power comes on about 200-400 rpms faster, which would not even be noticable.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.