flywheel "T" mark, sight hole vs. crankcase cover removal

10 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Why does the XR650R service manual say to remove the left crankcase cover when aligning the "T" mark when there is a sight hole bolt in the cover??

• brichter

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:24 PM

So you can turn the crankshaft to line the marks up.

• husky123

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hawk,

Not the whole cover just the little plate in the middle. Put your 17 (I think) on there and you can turn her over. Taking the spark plug out makes it a little easier too. Later, Lee

• HawkGT

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I've always just removed the sight bolt and turned the engine over with the kickstarter. I do have to use a little mirror with that method to see in the hole while working the kicker.

• HawkGT

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hawk,

Not the whole cover just the little plate in the middle. Put your 17 (I think) on there and you can turn her over. Taking the spark plug out makes it a little easier too. Later, Lee

Rs don't have the plug in the middle to access the 17 bolt--only the sight bolt is there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Rs don't have the plug in the middle to access the 17 bolt--only the sight bolt is there.

Just one more thing that makes L's so much better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hawk the mirror idea is real good, put a dab of bright paint on the T also.You can pull the plug and spin the rear tire to find TDC.

• Max Power

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Translated.... "Split the forum" :thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Just one more thing that makes L's so much better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And the other reason to "split the forum."

Maybe we could take a vote.......

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:57 PM

Why does the XR650R service manual say to remove the left crankcase cover when aligning the "T" mark when there is a sight hole bolt in the cover??

You need to take it off to turn the bike over as has already been stated. Also it it difficult to distinguish between the "T" mark and the "I" mark when looking through the sight hole. Just remove the cover and make it easy on yourself. If your adjusting the valves remove the spark plug and rotate the engine in the correct direction without letting spin back or it will activate the auto decompression and mess your valve adjustment up.

• ghoti

Posted February 23, 2006 - 05:49 AM

And the other reason to "split the forum."

Maybe we could take a vote.......

Again?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.