Chevron Delo 15-40 in a 650R?

20 replies to this topic
  • Mescalero

Posted February 21, 2006 - 01:32 PM

Anyone run Chevron Delo 15-40 in their 650R? Any long term?
I buy this stuff by the case for my Cummins diesel and was wondering if it is OK in my bike. I did a "search and mainly read about it's effects when using a Recluse clutch... apparently there are no problems there but what about with the stock clutch and engine itself? Would be nice to run the same oil in the truck and bike since I carry a few 1 gallon containers of the Delo at all times.

• roadcam

Posted February 21, 2006 - 01:37 PM

Delo will be just fine ... I've run Mobil Delvac 1300 15/40 in alll my stuff for years (I personally had better results with it in my Detroit Diesel than anything else) ... but, I would recommend using a synthetic for even better high-temp protection ... :thumbsup:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:13 PM

That may be ok, but I hear amsoil motorcyle specific oil is the best. Its like $8-$10 a quart. It is comparable or a little better than mobil delvac. Just my opinion.

• ghoti

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:15 PM

That may be ok, but I hear amsoil motorcyle specific oil is the best. Its like $8-$10 a quart. It is comparable or a little better than mobil delvac. Just my opinion.

Jeez, it better be a lot better at 4 times the cost.

• Mescalero

Posted February 21, 2006 - 03:22 PM

Again....... :thumbsup:

I am looking for feedback from riders who use the Chevron Delo 400 15-40.
Not interested in this thread turning into another oil debate or what motorcycle specific oil is beter. I just want facts and info on the Delo.
Thanks.

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2006 - 03:38 PM

I've been using 15W-40 diesel oil for a while, maybe 2 years. I use whichever is less expensive Rotella (Shell) or Delo (Chevron). No problems here. It's less than motorcycle specific oils, so I just change it after every 3 or 4 rides. I change the filter every other time. I also use it in all my trucks/cars, except for an old Jag that really needs 20W-50 to keep the pressure up.

Lately (6 months) I've been running Delo since it's what Price Club sells ($7/gal), and it's 10% less than Rotella or Delo at Walmart.

• Mescalero

Posted February 21, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I've been using 15W-40 diesel oil for a while, maybe 2 years. I use whichever is less expensive Rotella (Shell) or Delo (Chevron). No problems here. It's less than motorcycle specific oils, so I just change it after every 3 or 4 rides. I change the filter every other time. I also use it in all my trucks/cars, except for an old Jag that really needs 20W-50 to keep the pressure up.

Lately (6 months) I've been running Delo since it's what Price Club sells ($7/gal), and it's 10% less than Rotella or Delo at Walmart.

Thats what I'm talking 'bout. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:
Anyone else?

• AHRMA17L

Posted February 21, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have used Delo 400 15W-40 for as long as I can remeber. My dad bought it in 55 gallon drums for use in everything from diesel powered equipment to his classic cars. He swore there was nothing better, so it kind of rubbed off on me.

Here is what I can tell you...

I ran Delo 400 exclusively in a series of 1986-1995 XR250's and a number of other bikes. One of them, a 1986 XR250, had 18,000 very hard dual sport miles on it without a failure, and when I did take it a part for curiosity, the inside of the engine looked like new (I changed the oil after every ride). Part of this was good maintenence (clean air filter, etc.), but I also attribute it to the Delo.

I stopped using it after I read this...

Delo Thread on Thumpertalk

I do not know how much of this is true, but I have been using Honda GN-4 since then and have had great results.

If anyone actually knows whether the new Moly formula is fine with wet clutches, I would like to know...I would switch back in a second.

I do not know how much of this is true, but I have been using Honda GN-4 since then and have had great results.

If anyone actually knows whether the new Moly formula is fine with wet clutches, I would like to know...I would switch back in a second.

• JackAttack

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:37 PM

I used to use Delo for a few years.

I don't anymore since I heard they added Moly. I'm not sure how much, but a change was reflected on the label of the new bottles.

If you do a search on here you will find more info.

I have since switched to Delvac with no problems and the same price.

• roadcam

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:32 PM

OK ... so run Delo ... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:41 PM

I too ran Delo 15/40 in my DR350 with no problems. When I got my new 650R I switched to Mobil1 15w50 because at that time Chevron started adding 200ppm moly to the Delo 15/40. You can check the numbers at www.bobistheoilguy.com. Many people still use the newer Delo with the moly and have great results. A guy in particular was running a new Suzuki 450 hard on the MX track with no problems.

Many think that motorcycle oils do not contain moly but are dead wrong. Again, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and you will see that Mobil 1 motorcylce oils have more moly (around 90ppm) than their auto 15w50 (around 70ppm).

From my experience, I think the Delo is fine. I'd probably still be using it but wanted full synthetic for my 650R since it was a new bike and I'm holding on to it for a good while.

You here tons of crap about clutch slippage but I havn't seen it and if I'm wrong, how much is it, and how hard is it to swap out a clutch?

• oldturtle

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I also have used Delo 15-40 in all 4 strokes and 2 stroke trannys for over 15 years. Now about one year ago when word came out that Delo was reformulated with small amounts of Moly I just switched over to Shell Rotella T 15-40 which did not begin adding Moly according to info on TT. No difference. Now use Rotella T in diesel and gas trucks and in all motorcycles.
Re any long term. I have about 45,000 miles on Goldwing with Delo 15-40 and then the last 15,000 miles with Rotella T 15-40.

• Mescalero

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Good info here. Makes me wonder if it's worth it in the long run though. I guess I could switch the truck over to the Shell Rotella and start using that in the bike but it's been nice and cheap to get the Delo at Costco. Or maybe just keep running 20-50 auto and carrying that with me. Choices, choices........

• bigred455

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:00 AM

I have beeen running the Delo 400 15/40 in my 05 RMZ 450 since the beginning,delvac 1300 before that.Sure the new formula has moly,but I will tell you this, your clutch will not slip,B-rider here MX in sand 50% of the time.My clutch bites and bites hard still original everything,the new Delo has one hell of a robust package and is hard to beat for the money and properties. The whole moly thing is really ridiculous,I put the Delo up against most motorcycle specific oils. RUN IT YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

• ghoti

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I run Mobil Delvac in my 04 L. 16,000 miles in the Texas heat and no worries.

• desmo900

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I have been using Delo 400 for my Cummins diesel for many years and use it for all of my motorcycles, including my 04 650r. Delo 400 exceeds the the specs of most motorcycle specific oils. The new delo may have 200ppm of moly in it, but I have not had any trouble with my clutches. Thats not to say real synthetic oil is not better, but I don't think its 3 times the price better.

One other thing, with a new engine, you will be shocked how much metal comes out on the first and even second oil change. I only warm up the engine and then drain the oil on a new engine before ever riding it. And drain and replace the coolant as well, i found metal chips there too.

• JackAttack

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:03 AM

Sure the new formula has moly,but I will tell you this, your clutch will not slip,B-rider here MX in sand 50% of the time.My clutch bites and bites hard still original everything,the new Delo has one hell of a robust package and is hard to beat for the money and properties.

The new delo may have 200ppm of moly in it, but I have not had any trouble with my clutches.

That looks like the answer your looking for Mescalero. :thumbsup:

I will probably go back to using it....at that price, it's just too good to pass up.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:34 AM

I have been using Delo 400 for my Cummins diesel for many years and use it for all of my motorcycles, including my 04 650r. Delo 400 exceeds the the specs of most motorcycle specific oils.

I have been using it in my 7.3 Navistar/International, but recently got a case of Rotella T 15w-40. Thought about running it in the pig as well. I run Mobil 1 MX4T in the 4cyl streetbike. I have been using Castrol GTX 20w-50 in the 250R for years.

I think a good oil is a good thing. Beyond that, there's alot of little nuances that garner tons of discussion. But does something like 200ppm of moly really matter?

Biggest problem I see for bikes is the added polymers get bass-o-matic'ed by the tranny, and in short order.

• oldturtle

Posted February 23, 2006 - 03:40 PM

Biggest problem I see for bikes is the added polymers get bass-o-matic'ed by the tranny, and in short order.

In dirt bikes where we change motor oil every 500 miles max I doubt that shearing of polymers and resultant loss of viscosity makes any difference. I saw somewhere that viscosity loss does not happen until 5000 or more miles. I usually change my Delo or Rotella T in my Goldwing every 4000 miles and 500 max in dirt bikes anyway. From info on this post I will probably not worry about the 200ppm moly in Delo anymore.

• Mescalero

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:08 PM

:thumbsup: DELO IT IS :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who gave their input. I am stoked at the response I got.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.