01 wr exhaust packing

10 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted February 21, 2006 - 01:18 PM

I have an 01 wr exhaust on my yz 426. I went to change the packing in the exhaust and there is not any. Is this right? Thanks

• beasleys

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:27 AM

Is there anyone that can help me with this or let me know where to find the answer. I already went to the yamaha website and looked at the microfiche. It didn'e help at all. Thanks :thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:33 AM

I believe this is true, the WR does not have any packing because it is a baffle type exhaust. I have never actually taken one a part to see, but I am almost positive that I have read it somewhere. Hope this helps.

• clark4131

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Pull the exhaust schematic from the Yamaha parts website. That'll tell you for sure...SC

• Flash319

Posted February 22, 2006 - 06:56 AM

How did you get it apart? I have a wr exhaust that I cut open, but not sure of the year, I think 02. It is a sealed unit with no packing, just chambers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yama4Stroker

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:04 AM

This is true. If you take the end cap off, you'll see a screen welded to the inside of the canister. There is (theoretically) some permanent packing under the screen, which is not removable. I have an 02 WR426 and wanted to quiet the thing down a little with repacking, since that is not an option, I ended up getting the GYT-R quiet insert.

• R_Little

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:53 AM

No packing on a WR exhaust.

Get the GYTR insert for quiet

• beasleys

Posted February 22, 2006 - 10:51 AM

Does anyone know the approx. dB for this exhaust stock an obviously with the spark arrestor. :thumbsup:

• Yama4Stroker

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:06 AM

I believe I read they are somewhere in the 100 to 102 db range. Never been tested without the quiet insert.

• jaysusr

Posted October 19, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Yeah, i just learned this too. After i bought exhaust packing, i open it up, and i'm like, oops. Oh well, 21.95 down the toilet.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 19, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Yep, an uncorked WR426 with a stock exhaust comes in over 100 dBA using the AMA sound test guidelines (3400 rpm, 20" away). With a GYT-R quiet insert it's 90-92 dBA using the same test procedures.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.