Decisions? WR450, CRF450X

11 replies to this topic
  • CAW

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:21 AM

I'm new to TT, but i love all the info I have been able to find so far. I am looking to up grade this spring and was wondering if any one had any opinions or reasion for one bike over the other? The mods seem to similar on both bikes, and I have read about the tranny problem on the CRF, does the WR have any similar problems that might help my decision? I have been leaning toward the WR, but I'm always open to new ideas. All opinions are welcom. :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:40 AM

As far as I know and have read here, so problems with the WR such as the CRF's have

• dbailey223

As far as I know and have read here, no problems with the WR such as the CRF's have

• dbailey223

As far as I know and have read here, no problems with the WR such as the CRF's have

• SkyRaider

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:43 AM

You can say that again.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:18 AM

The CRF450X seems to be getting beat up a bit by the perception of bad valves and bad trannies.

I know a guy that has a crf450x one and he has had absolutely no problems. However, he is pretty handy with a wrench and stays on top of things. I think the Honda guys would tell you to stays on top of things, be religious with your maintenence, and you will never have a problem.

On the other hand, I have the WR and I simply change the oil and clean the filter after a good days ride. I checked the valves and they are just fine. It may be a little easier maintenance wise.

They both are probably really good bikes, but since you are in the Yamaha forum, I will say "Get the Yamaha!"

I did and I am very happy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:20 AM

The only problems the WR450 has exhibited were with the '03 model and its infamous "woodruff key". Those were immediately rectified and have not been repeated in the subsequent model years. Another point in the WR's favor is it's comparitively to work on due to the steel frame, while the Honda's aluminum perimeter makes it much more tedious to do any carb or engine work. Remember, Yamaha invented the performance 4-stroke and the 5-valve top end, which they still hold the patent on. Everybody else are Johnny-come-latelies...SC

• odonnks

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Take a look at the March issue of Dirt Bike Magazine, They did a 450 comparason.
I couldn't decide either after the good folks here and the mag articles then talking to a dealer who has both who said he sells more parts for the CFR450 engines than the WR's.
Also, most everyone says that the WR is eaiser to make fast and the Honda is a few hundred $$ more.
Thought I like the AL frame of the Honda, from a performance perspective its just not enough.

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:21 PM

To me, it seems like the power comes on smoother and stays longer on the Yamaha 2 cam motor. I have a TRX450R. I know its not the same as the CRF-X motor but its the same design. I heard that from other guys who had the YFZ and the ones that had the TRX. They said the same thing I say so mabey we are on to something. :thumbsup:

• bluebike1999

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:22 PM

as the wr design is going on 8-9 years old, there is a wealth of info on maintaining the wr and i would think that the importance of regular oil changes etc are all things that were ironed out prior to the year 2000 and these little things are still being worked out on the crf. (Cant Ride Far)
in some honda threads they talk about running more oil and using valve protectant additives and they are still in the process of 'living' with the crf.

the wr is sorted, and all you need to do is ride and change your oil.
no need to develop close relationship with mechanic, warranty person and lawyer, as some honda owners have.
go WR

• rich1167

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:32 PM

That aluminum frame looks pretty. Pretty hard to work around!!!! How do you get to the carb? looks like you have to pull the sub frame to get to it. Go WR.

• Justa4stroken

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:36 PM

I have a 05 WR450 and it's in the dealership with the Transmission PUKED. Made a loud bang in fourth and went down hill from there. Estimate is around $1k to fix it. :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk: :eek: :eek: :lol: :bonk: :bonk: :eek: :eek: :lol: :p :p :p :p :p :p :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.