A little disapointed in XR650R power at Glamis

12 replies to this topic
  • Chad-XR650R

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hey all,

Had a great first time in the sand at Glamis this last weekend. Haflway through the 2nd day I stopped by Oldsmobile hill and raced up it a few times. It was a blast but I was disapointed in my bikes performance. I've never rode a hill that tapped my bikes performance until this one. It just didn't have the power to hit 4th gear. With stock gearing and an 8 cup paddle I'd start in 2nd hit 3rd pretty quick.

I'm thinking my air filter was pretty clogged by that time, but I don't know. I felt like I should be able to hit 4th for that hill.

There were a couple other times I was supprised. Did a huge loop in a huge bowl and pegged the throttle in 4th gear and it took a long time for those rev's to increase.

• Max Power

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hey all,

Had a great first time in the sand at Glamis this last weekend. Haflway through the 2nd day I stopped by Oldsmobile hill and raced up it a few times. It was a blast but I was disapointed in my bikes performance. I've never rode a hill that tapped my bikes performance until this one. It just didn't have the power to hit 4th gear. With stock gearing and an 8 cup paddle I'd start in 2nd hit 3rd pretty quick.

I'm thinking my air filter was pretty clogged by that time, but I don't know. I felt like I should be able to hit 4th for that hill.

There were a couple other times I was supprised. Did a huge loop in a huge bowl and pegged the throttle in 4th gear and it took a long time for those rev's to increase.

Trade that thing in for a 450. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• J_Daniels

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like something is wrong if your bike is uncorked. I am at 15-45 gearing (pretty tall) and can pull almost anything in top gear with a King's 8-paddle. Glamis sand is notoriously fine compared to what we have in Oregon, but you should be able to churn the paddle and break it loose without much trouble in the first three gears and stand the bike up in the other two without much problem. Take a look at the spark plug, it will be overly rich if the air filter is clogged. Other than that, there are so many variables, it's hard to suggest much other than possible poor compression or carb jetting way off the mark.

• J_Daniels

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Looks like you need to go on a diet, Max! :thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Looks like you need to go on a diet, Max! :thumbsup:

Let's not get personal.

• Supplicate

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:58 PM

Let's not get personal.

if that is a 450, at least you're giving it a workout :thumbsup:

Last time I was on a smaller bike then a 650, it was a YZ250F.

My friends said I looked like a shriner on it :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chad-XR650R

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Bike is uncorked with the very basics like HRC exhaust tip and different intake boot, jet, etc. Otherwise stock. I'll check the plug. Thing is I've never had a problem with power or the way it runs until this trip. Breaking the tire loose wasn't really a problem normally. It was more the super huge bowls with tons of loose sand and when I raced olds hill that I noticed issues.

• HawkGT

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:25 AM

What's your jetting? Glamis is about 250ft above sea level.

That sand does eat up the power like nothing else. Thought Olds was a beast? Head over to China Wall next time. Some vehicles can't even make it up, let alone with any gusto. My point is that maybe your expectations are skewed? Did you ride anything else out there? How did they feel?

That said, when I rode at Glamis on my (similarly tuned) XRR, I never once felt like HP was an issue. But I was used to a camed, pistoned, and piped 400EX -- read: not especially fast by todays standards.

• JimT

Posted February 21, 2006 - 12:14 PM

What other bikes have you taken up Oldsmobile? The XR650R has very high 4th and 5th gears. Maybe 4th is just too tall for that hill at the speed you were going.

• slomotobug

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Wrong bike for the ride! They are a pig in the sand till you get it up over 80mph, then they do great. Glamis has nowhere you can really do that. My 250 can smoke my 650 in glamis, even w/my fat a$@ on it. That being said, try a 52 tooth sprocket on the rear next time, makes a huge differnece out there, then get another bike (250, 450, or even cr500) if you go back a third time, then you'll realy have fun! :thumbsup:

• XRKYLE

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I took olds in 3rd with my ( XR650 L ). It seemed to have plenty of power. Your R should have had no problems.

• cleonard

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Every time I've ridden in the sand, my air filter gets completely caked with sand. I usually change it to a clean one every ride. I have 3. I clean them all at the same time. I oil them all up and put the 2 others in ziplock bags. Ready for that quick change.

• XR/CRDave

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I run the same setup as you though mine is an 2000. Mine used to feel a little slow but in Sept I had the bike tuned up at the shop, too busy with work to do it myself and was leaving for a long Mexico trip the next weekend. They changed all the fluids and the big thing was that they adjusted the valves which I thought were ok by the way it ran. After the tune up it pulled harder and during my last Glamis trip I wrecked my 500 and cracked the radiator so I ran the 650 the hole time. It pulled 4th up Olds and really seemed to be more fun than previous trips.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.