What psi should I be running???

15 replies to this topic
  • fourstroker

Posted September 23, 2001 - 04:24 PM

Greetings Thumpers!!!!!

Just wandering what kind of air pressure I should be running?

I always run about 15psi in front and back whether I'm running on sand, soft dirt, hardpack, etc. Is this a no no????

I own a 2001 WR426 and I seem to be hooking up decent on the different terrain but could I even get better performance if I change the psi per the riding conditions?

Thanks for the input!

Mark (ILLINOIS)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 24, 2001 - 04:22 AM

I never run 15lb psi. I find that I hook up the best in med to hard terrain at 13lbs and 11lbs in soft to muddy terrain. Plus I run Dunlop 756 front and rear. I have to change the rear every three or four months but it gets aggressive when I need it.

Bonzai :)

• Hurricane

Posted September 24, 2001 - 07:53 AM

I've been having a real big problem with flats lately. Most of them have been front tires, only one in the back. All the fronts have been pinch flats from hitting rocks I guess. The mechanic at the local shop told me to run about 20 psi in the front to help resist pinch flats. I've been running 20 psi but I'm still getting alot flats. Any suggestions?

Hurricane

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 24, 2001 - 08:30 AM

Man I would hate to land from way up here with 20lbs of pressure....can you say trampoline landing? Sounds like someone is giving you an inferior quality tube. Are you doing the tube installs or paying a shop to do it for you?

http://albums.photop...0794&p=54471963

• Hurricane

Posted September 25, 2001 - 07:55 AM

I was having the local Yamaha shop put them in but that started to get a little expensive after a couple of times so I started putting them in myself. Either way I'm still getting them. I think it has alot to do with this new place we've been riding at, BIG ROCKS everywhere. This past saturday my friend blew out the rear on an XR400 then an hour later I blew out my front. Needless to say we are getting pretty good at changing tubes. Any suggestions on brands of tubes. I've tried heavy duty tubes and even filled them with slime and still getting the flats (mostly pinch flats.) HELP!!

• Scott_F

Posted September 25, 2001 - 09:25 PM

Slime won't help with pinch flats. You sound like a good candidate for mousse inserts.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 25, 2001 - 02:37 PM

RSK, GA426OWNER and I were just talking a couple of weeks ago about an article in Dirt Rider Mag, where they have developed a solid core foam insert for the front and rear tire just for Rock enthusists such as desert riders and yourself. Someone said they were a little pricy....like $125. per wheel. But performed extremely well.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Bonzai :)

• dwby2kwr

Posted September 25, 2001 - 06:16 PM

I use MSR heavy duty tubes. They are a little pricy ($16.00 each)but I hate changing flats. I ride a lot of desert and rocks. The only pinch flat I have had was on the original front tube/tire and I hit hard enough to bend the rim. You might want to see if you can find some new tires with a stiffer or a taller sidewall, just a thought.

Good luck on the flats

------------------
y2k wr, airbox lid removed, 180 main, 48 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing, WB E-series S-bend w/ tapered head pipe
acerbis tank(yz), sdg seat(yz), scotts damper

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_in_KC

Posted September 26, 2001 - 03:47 AM

I'll second the MSR tubes. Never had a flat period on my Husaberg. The WR will get them as soon as I add the S12's!!

• *mike68*

Posted September 26, 2001 - 04:03 AM

A lot of it depends on the terrain you ride and how you ride it. When I go to Bills down in PA I run about 15psi front and rear at the track. Up here in NH I rund 16 front and 20 rear for the rocks. Anything less = pinch flats for me. I don't drive around anything.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 26, 2001 - 06:03 AM

But Mikee we ALL know that you're just an Animal..... :)

Bonzai :D

• *mike68*

Posted September 26, 2001 - 06:25 AM

No, No, No, thats not it. I find it easier than going around stuff. You Harescramblers are the animals. I'm just a trail rider looking to do and enduro here and there.

Yamakaze,
Now, Thats the name of a mad man :)

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 26, 2001).]

• MOmilkman

Posted September 26, 2001 - 06:41 AM

Use Bridgstone heavy duty tubes. They are slightly cheaper than the MSR I believe, and they are heavier duty.
Compare them side by side and you will tell a big difference.

------------------
Darin in Missouri - My Hurricane 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

• Hurricane

Posted September 26, 2001 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to try the MSR tubes because my local dealer has them in stock. If those don't help I guess I look into foam inserts, Yamakaze let me know if you find that article in DirtRider.

Thanks, Chris

• Itsamre

Posted September 27, 2001 - 01:19 PM

Stick with the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes and 17 to 20 lbs of pressure!

------------------
Mark...00 426 w/plates,and $4000.00 of other attachments!

• BlueThunder

Posted September 27, 2001 - 01:29 PM

Run 10psi front and rear all the time and have never pinched a tube. M12's have an extremely stiff sidewall so that helps a lot, but I don't know how anyone rides with 20psi....hook up like a brick and talk about pushing the front all over. I ride with another friend who seems to get a flat almost every time we ride....difference is he runs over EVERYTHING and I loft the front over EVERYTHING! :)

------------------
Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin, Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.