Normal cost for lacing Excel xr650r rim?

4 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Yeah yeah I know I should do it myself but for the first time I'm going to get it done by a professional. I'm going to watch him, so I can do it next time, but this time I figure it's best to know that it is done right. I've called two motorsports places and I've been quoted $125-150 bucks to lace a rim and swapping out the old tire from the other rim??? That's friggen crazy! I started BS'ing with one of the shop guys and he reffered me to a friend of his who used to work there and he will do it for $50.00.

The work requires taking the hub off the old rim and the tire (it's still in good shape) and then lacing the new rim w/ the old hub and putting the tire on.

$50.00 sounds like a good price. What do you guys think?

• Mudshark

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I've only ever done it twice... one front and one rear wheel.... $50 sounds good.
I take it that you are getting new spokes with the rim?
It's a PITA job without the correct tools.... totaly do-able but a PITA none
the less. Pay the man and get it done.
The rear was my first (cracked rim) it took me 2 1/2 hours to get it true
again. The next was a front (snapped clean through), took about 1 1/2 hours to get
it true and straight.
Of course re-using the old spokes makes it a lot easier....
Next time it'll take less time I'm sure.... but $50 is cool... I'd pay. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcnutt

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:13 PM

if your not re-using the spokes, wire cutters will speed up the removal of the hub from the old rim.50 bucks is a smokin deal, double that if he lets you help/watch.take notes and pictures.........

• BIGGITY

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:56 PM

if your not re-using the spokes, wire cutters will speed up the removal of the hub from the old rim.50 bucks is a smokin deal, double that if he lets you help/watch.take notes and pictures.........

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking. Videotape it and pay him extra. :thumbsup: Thanks guys

• Potts228

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Yeah yeah I know I should do it myself but for the first time I'm going to get it done by a professional. I'm going to watch him, so I can do it next time, but this time I figure it's best to know that it is done right. I've called two motorsports places and I've been quoted $125-150 bucks to lace a rim and swapping out the old tire from the other rim??? That's friggen crazy! I started BS'ing with one of the shop guys and he reffered me to a friend of his who used to work there and he will do it for $50.00.

The work requires taking the hub off the old rim and the tire (it's still in good shape) and then lacing the new rim w/ the old hub and putting the tire on.

$50.00 sounds like a good price. What do you guys think?

OK...I think the fact of life for an XR650R is mangled rims. I have gone through three rims (two fronts and one rear) since November and lacing new wheels up is simple and fast if you set your mind to it. The real hard part is taking the tire off as you said.

Get a cordless drill with a the correct sized square drive bit (fits in the end of the nipple) and just start unscrewing! Unlacing will take less than 2 minutes unless you have a seized nipple. I try to keep the spokes from sliding out of the hub if possible but it's easy to figure out where they go if they do. I stick some duct tape around the hub area to help hold them in. Remove the old rim and your ready to lace up the new.

Now, just stick the spokes back through the holes (impossible to screw this up as the spokes will almost tell you which hole they go in) and of course the spokes on the right side go in the holes of the rim on the right side. Same again for the left. Now screw on the nipples. I always use some waterproof grease so the nipples won't seize in the future. Now just screw up the nipples in a simple pattern of going around the rim (I start at the tube valve hole in the rim for reference) so the base of the spoke is showing about the same amount into the nipple end for all spokes. Go around the rim several times slightly tightening the nipples more and more as you go around. You want to make this even all the way around and this is the key to get you in the ballpark for the final truing. I do this stage all by hand and no spoke wrench yet.

After I get the wheel snugged up (still by hand) I just put the wheel right on the bike. I don't have a wheel truing stand and I have found I can set the offset (side to side) very easy by just using a measuring tape and eyeballing it to run in the center of the swingarm or forks (depending on wether front or rear). I also use a thin strip of duct tape to guide me in the up and down truing and I duct tape up some bent welding rod to guide me on the side to side.

Anyway, I now this sounds a bit crude but my wheels come out bitchin and I can do this faster than driving them to the shop.

Now...if you are converting to Super Moto then then make sure wheels are balanced. Some off-road guys I have seen balance their wheels but I did it once and I couldn't tell any difference. Heck, I did the wheels on my Harley and never balanced them and all is good.

Anyway, $50.00 is a very fair deal...especially if they are going to R&R the tires and teach you.

Good Luck!
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.