Will a XR600 CDI box work on an XR650L?

148 replies to this topic
  • mastera210

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't think so, but many here say they can feel a real differance in the motors response and pull, with timing changes. If that is the case, then yes, it would be worth it. I have had the stock CDI box burn up on me while I was deep in the mountains. I could not repair it, and I was stranded. The Megajolt system, has a limp-home mode. If the electronics should fail, it reverts to the limp-home mode, with fixed timing, so the bike can still be ridden. At 84 dollars, it was less expensive than replacing the stock CDI. One of my XRL's has high compression, and is hard on the starter. With Megajolt, I can reduce the timing during starting, so the motor turns over more easily. After starting, the timing go back to normal, with no loss of performance, like you would have if you retarded the total timing. Some of the situations we are talking about here, like the electric starter on the XR600, would be a perfect application for Megajolt.

You need my 24v starting system!

• mastera210

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Time to drag out the old horse to beat it around the block again.

My battery failed durring a 3 day ride, luckily very close to home; but it made me remember that the CDI is 12DC, not AC. So after reading this and a few other post on the isues involved in running the 600R cdi I have conculded that the Stator is the problem. The the 650L estart doesn't turn the 600r fast enough to fire, and the 650L stator is 3 phase and dosen't have the ingitor coil required.

So to solve the DC CDI problem, and pick up a new ignition map; we need a custom stator winding that can fire the cdi at the 10 rpm the starter turns over at.

This doesn't seem like it would that hard to build (have built), what do you think of this approach?

You know I have been reading about this I have cured all the problems yes it takes rewireing the whole bike. But it really easy with the right parts and most of what I used is stock honda parts. First 24v starting system the stock starter is weak have to give it a KICK in the ass! 24v starter does two things doubles power to starter so it will crank anything stroker big bore high comp etc. 2 it spins motor twice as fast! So you can use XR600 ing! As i have a ricky stator stator with pulse gen and ricks hot box CDI for XR600 then stock starter will not spin motor fast enough to fire 600 CDI NO problem with 24v starter!

• mastera210

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh BTW used a wire harness from a XL600R

• bork

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:55 PM

But does a 1984 Xl600r pulse generator have same pick up & at same degrees, as a newer xe600r (1993-98)? So the newer cdi box & spark plug coil, could be used on older bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mastera210

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:47 AM

But does a 1984 Xl600r pulse generator have same pick up & at same degrees, as a newer xe600r (1993-98)? So the newer cdi box & spark plug coil, could be used on older bike?

All I know is I used a XL600R wireing harness and the pluse gen had same plug as the XR600R had so it was plug and play for me!

• mastera210

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:49 AM

So I would say yes

• bork

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:27 PM

thanks

• dubs123

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:38 PM

I don't see why you couldn't run a XR600 CDI, but it will take a lot of changes. First you will need a XR600 stator. I have held both a XR600 and a XR650L stator but not at the same time. If I remember correctly they are more or less the same size. You need the XR600 stator because it has the high voltage exciter coil that powers the CDI. If a XR600 stator will not mechanically fit, you can forget this idea. That exciter coil puts out over 100 volts when the engine is running. About 60 or so volts is needed to produce a spark good enough to start the engine. A stock XR600 stator might not have enough of a lighting coil to power the headlight and recharge the battery. A high output stator would be a good idea.

The pulse coil on the right side of the crankcase is a different part number between the two bikes. It might just be a different connector, or it might have different electrical characteristics.

The ignition coil is the same part number between the 600 and the 650L. No worries here.

There is a lot of wiring harness hacking that would need to be done in order to get this to work. The 650L regulator would have to go and be replaced with a dual sport kit type DC regulator. The connectors on the XR600 CDI are pretty specialized. The easiest way to get one would be to get an entire XR600 wiring harness and use what you will need to connect everything.

so I just picked up a 91 600r that has a 650L motor in it. the guy I got it from didnt know anything about it. it was a project that was over his head. It has a 600r wire harness and cdi and from what I can tell it has a 600r stator. the e-start isnt hooked up to anything but when I use a jump starter (just 55 amps) it cranks slow but does fire up. My plan is to get a high output 600r stator and get a universal 4 wire regulator rectifier to run my lights and charge my battery. I havent gotten into the stator to verify that it is actually from a 600r but it just has the 2 wires coming out for the lighting so it must be.

• mastera210

Posted February 19, 2016 - 01:47 AM

so I just picked up a 91 600r that has a 650L motor in it. the guy I got it from didnt know anything about it. it was a project that was over his head. It has a 600r wire harness and cdi and from what I can tell it has a 600r stator. the e-start isnt hooked up to anything but when I use a jump starter (just 55 amps) it cranks slow but does fire up. My plan is to get a high output 600r stator and get a universal 4 wire regulator rectifier to run my lights and charge my battery. I havent gotten into the stator to verify that it is actually from a 600r but it just has the 2 wires coming out for the lighting so it must be.

Some pics of stator and cdi box etc would help

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.