Will a XR600 CDI box work on an XR650L?

148 replies to this topic
  • NW ADV

Posted May 17, 2009 - 08:55 PM

Megajolt offers a totaly programable 3-D mapping with MAP sensor for $84. What do you want. Maybe if the price was $10.00 you would be interested.

Riiiiiiiight.

BP

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 17, 2009 - 11:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

• crmc33

Posted May 18, 2009 - 03:24 AM

Have the MSD unit running on my road racer, but have other unlinked engine problems to deal with (blowing cylinder base gaskets).
Lots of potential with the MSD and very easy to fit once the OE pulser is modded.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 18, 2009 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I was looking for more advance, that's the way I'd do it.

I don't know why that unit seems to get the bum's-rush here, Cap'n.

Dave

• amitx

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:09 AM

can i fit the Megajolt to 600R or other bike without battery?

pete.

• cleonard

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:34 AM

Doesn't the Megajolt require a N-1 crank sensor? That would mean making one or using one from a FMX650.

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 20, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Doesn't the Megajolt require a N-1 crank sensor? That would mean making one or using one from a FMX650.

Yes, just switch the pulse generator single tooth wheel for a 36 tooth wheel.

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 20, 2009 - 09:21 PM

can i fit the Megajolt to 600R or other bike without battery?

pete.

Yes, but you do need to add a regulator and a capacitor, to your lighting coils, to get some 12 volt output.

• amitx

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:22 AM

i see, the question is:does it worth it?

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 22, 2009 - 09:20 AM

i see, the question is:does it worth it?

I don't think so, but many here say they can feel a real differance in the motors response and pull, with timing changes. If that is the case, then yes, it would be worth it. I have had the stock CDI box burn up on me while I was deep in the mountains. I could not repair it, and I was stranded. The Megajolt system, has a limp-home mode. If the electronics should fail, it reverts to the limp-home mode, with fixed timing, so the bike can still be ridden. At 84 dollars, it was less expensive than replacing the stock CDI. One of my XRL's has high compression, and is hard on the starter. With Megajolt, I can reduce the timing during starting, so the motor turns over more easily. After starting, the timing go back to normal, with no loss of performance, like you would have if you retarded the total timing. Some of the situations we are talking about here, like the electric starter on the XR600, would be a perfect application for Megajolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mchester

Posted May 28, 2009 - 12:49 PM

What about folks who have claimed the 1988-89 NX650 CDI allowed more total advance and maybe a more aggressive curve? Anyone here ever try to prove that out?

It's something I was going to try once I am able to ride again.

• fordman2304

Posted May 29, 2009 - 12:19 PM

I am very interested in advancing my timing and some day running EFI on my bike.....

"Captain Midnight" where do you have your Megajolt attached at on your bike?

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:22 PM

Just put it where the CDI box was.

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 30, 2009 - 04:01 PM

I am very interested in advancing my timing

Let me help you do that. You can post pictures, and do a write-up.

• pdxthumper

Posted June 10, 2010 - 09:41 AM

Time to drag out the old horse to beat it around the block again.

My battery failed durring a 3 day ride, luckily very close to home; but it made me remember that the CDI is 12DC, not AC. So after reading this and a few other post on the isues involved in running the 600R cdi I have conculded that the Stator is the problem. The the 650L estart doesn't turn the 600r fast enough to fire, and the 650L stator is 3 phase and dosen't have the ingitor coil required.

So to solve the DC CDI problem, and pick up a new ignition map; we need a custom stator winding that can fire the cdi at the 10 rpm the starter turns over at.

This doesn't seem like it would that hard to build (have built), what do you think of this approach?

• Captain Midnight

Posted June 10, 2010 - 04:32 PM

I can help you. What motor do you have? What CDI are you using? What stator are you using? Are you using a battery?

• pdxthumper

Posted June 10, 2010 - 06:38 PM

I have a 650L motor, and I am looking to use a 600 CDI, and stator, with 650L rectifier / regulator to charge the battery. I spoke with Electrosport this afternoon, and they said i could use a 650R (100w + 50w) stator with estart and it would fire the coil. What do you propose Captn?

• tractor4play

Posted June 14, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Have the MSD unit running on my road racer, but have other unlinked engine problems to deal with (blowing cylinder base gaskets).
Lots of potential with the MSD and very easy to fit once the OE pulser is modded.

hi adam,do you know if i can fit the 600r cdi onto my dual start xl600.if not how are you finding the msd unit.cheers ian.

• Alex DeFreitas

Posted June 29, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Megajolt offers a totaly programable 3-D mapping with MAP sensor for $84. What do you want. Maybe if the price was $10.00 you would be interested.

I'm having trouble finding any site that sells these let alone for $84

• bork

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Does anyone know if a newer xr600r (like 1992-1997) cdi set up, will wok on an older 1984 xl600?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.