Will a XR600 CDI box work on an XR650L?

148 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted December 22, 2007 - 10:50 AM

suhari, you design that? very cool.:banghead:

• suharianu

Posted December 23, 2007 - 08:44 AM

The CDI is basically a delay machine,it counts the pulses from the
crankshaft which tells it what rpm the motor is running.
for example: if crankshaft pulse arrives 60 deg BTDC and you need 20 deg
advance then you need to delay the ignition pulse by 40 deg. so for each
rpm step you program the required delay(advance).
i designed a Cdi based on pic16F690(it wasnt perfect) but I could program different tables into it (advance curves) unfortunately i dont have a Dyno here ,so by the seat of my pants I could not see any major hp gains-sorry to disappoint you! so i concluded that the stock cdi curve was optimal.

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:25 PM

If you want to change your rev-limiter, you can also change your entire 3d mapping for your entire ignition curve.

Buy one of these:
Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.vortexcdi.com/

Technology is Great!!

Vortex nor Dynatek makes anything for the XR650L,

I spoke with Dynatek about getting a fully adjustable unit like they make for everything else and they told me a minimum order of 250 units would be necessary to make one for the XRL.

I'll take 2 of them, now who wants to order 248 more ?

Maybe someone should start a group purchase thread topic and see how many would actually be interested.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:57 PM

I'll take 2 of them, now who wants to order 248 more ?

Maybe someone should start a group purchase thread topic and see how many would actually be interested.

Im in!

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 10:36 PM

250 units at X per unit?

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 26, 2007 - 04:18 PM

a group purchase of 250 fully adjustable units would be $245.00 each

• craig hammon

Posted December 26, 2007 - 05:33 PM

I want 1 so I can keep blowing XR650L BUM`S doors off.

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:35 AM

im interested, i just dont know about the interest level from others.

• Bibleman

Posted December 27, 2007 - 12:24 PM

I'm also interested, but I'd like to see before and after dyno results before committing.

• crmc33

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:56 AM

Id probably have 5 or so if the price is right

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Good call crmc33! Lets keep this one in plain view!

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted July 13, 2008 - 09:00 PM

Ive decided Im going to buy a MSD ingition for my XRL based racer.
Seems to be the best way of getting more revs and the best midrange and top end power gain.
Ive been quoted £150+17.5% tax here in the uk. so I assume theyre about $300. Could be cheap HP!

Lead time is 4 weeks to the UK so should have the bike back on the dyno early 08. Also have a NX650 CDI (which Im using) and new XR600 CDI I could try as a comparison at some stage.

Will post dyno results on motopike.com and here

Results ???

• Captain Midnight

Posted July 18, 2008 - 02:36 PM

Magajolt will do everything. I'll help you set it up, if you need. User programable, no rev limits. Switchable maps on the fly. $84.00.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 18, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Magajolt will do everything. I'll help you set it up, if you need. User programable, no rev limits. Switchable maps on the fly. $84.00.

Runs off +12V and hooks to the stock pulse coil?

Dave

• Old Dog

Posted July 18, 2008 - 06:54 PM

If you can hook me up with something like that for $84 I'm up for it ... hell, if you can hook me up for something like that for $384, I'm up for it!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Captain Midnight

Posted July 19, 2008 - 12:39 AM

Ask me specific questions about what you want and need for your use, and I'll tell you the options available and how to put something together. The kit form is the least expensive, but they are pre built units too. Megasquirt and Megajolt.

• Captain Midnight

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Runs off +12V and hooks to the stock pulse coil?
Dave

Megasquirt I runs off +12V and hooks up to the stock pulse coil. Kit cost is $139. from DIY Autotune. User programable, has MAP sensor, Shift Lights, Map Table Switching, Tach Output, Launch Control, Water Injection, Constant Barometric Correction, Knock Detection.

• NW ADV

Posted May 16, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thought I'd blow the dust off this one...anyone have any new ways to add more advance to an L ignition?

BP

• martinfan30

Posted May 17, 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thought I'd blow the dust off this one...anyone have any new ways to add more advance to an L ignition?

BP

Guess the pick up could be moved.

• Captain Midnight

Posted May 17, 2009 - 10:49 AM

BP

Megajolt offers a totaly programable 3-D mapping with MAP sensor for $84. What do you want. Maybe if the price was $10.00 you would be interested.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.