Will a XR600 CDI box work on an XR650L?

148 replies to this topic
  • zrxchris

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:23 PM

got a new (used) CDI off ebay, folks I bought it fomr said according to their parts fische it is for an XR600

I know alot of stuff will swap between an XR650 and 650L ?

Is this a part that will swap ?

connectors look to be the same, but the box itself is about 1/3 of the size of the stock L box.......

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 27, 2006 - 04:59 AM

It would be great to have a cdi box with a better ignition curve, and none of the safeties.

Any luck with this yet?

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 27, 2006 - 05:53 AM

The CDI box for an XR600 will not work on an XR650L. The two bikes have entirely different elevtrical/ignition systems. The 650L's is entirely DC coming from the voltage rectifier/regulator. The XR600R does not.

In my experience with both bikes, They have the same exact rev limiting. Both bikes will not go any faster down a steep hill in third gear with the throtle pinned. Same 15/45 sprockets on both.

The XR600R CDI box will work on an XR400. Some people have put an XR250 CDI box on their 400's for an additional 2500rpm, but experience valve float and quick engine wear. Also, some people have put an XR400R CDI box on their XR600R's for the same puropose, and gotten the same result.

The XR400's CDI has a rev limiter at 9500RPM.

The XR600R's CDI has a rev limiter at about 7500rpm

The XR650L's CDI has a rev limiter at about 7500rpm

The XR650R's CDI has a rev limiter at about 8200rpm

The XR250's CDI has a rev limiter at 12,000rpm.

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:52 AM

The CDI box for an XR600 will not work on an XR650L. The two bikes have entirely different elevtrical/ignition systems. The 650L's is entirely DC coming from the voltage rectifier/regulator. The XR600R does not.

Daayuuum, I hate when that happens. :thumbsup:

What options do we have to get a better timing curve? :thumbsup:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:28 PM

If you want to change your rev-limiter, you can also change your entire 3d mapping for your entire ignition curve.

Buy one of these:
Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.vortexcdi.com/

Technology is Great!!

• rmhrc630

Posted April 10, 2007 - 07:27 PM

In my experience with both bikes, They have the same exact rev limiting. Both bikes will not go any faster down a steep hill in third gear with the throtle pinned. Same 15/45 sprockets on both.

The XR600R CDI box will work on an XR400. Some people have put an XR250 CDI box on their 400's for an additional 2500rpm, but experience valve float and quick engine wear. Also, some people have put an XR400R CDI box on their XR600R's for the same puropose, and gotten the same result.

The XR400's CDI has a rev limiter at 9500RPM.

The XR600R's CDI has a rev limiter at about 7500rpm

The XR650L's CDI has a rev limiter at about 7500rpm

The XR650R's CDI has a rev limiter at about 8200rpm

After reading this post can any of you confirm if I can fit an XR400 CDI to my 2000 model XR600R?

If I can then it suggests I can also fit a vortex CDI to my 600R as Vortex make a CDI for the XR400R.

Can someone please answer if it can be done?

Has anyone done it? How did it feel?

• hypersthenos

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:15 PM

I remember reading a thread from some guy in Australia that converted his 600 to electric start & the stock CDI box would not work as it required a higher RPM on startup than the starter could produce so he had to convert over to the "L" box. Probably useless info given the other reasons they're incompatible but I had to chime in.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:42 PM

I remember reading a thread from some guy in Australia that converted his 600 to electric start & the stock CDI box would not work as it required a higher RPM on startup than the starter could produce so he had to convert over to the "L" box. Probably useless info given the other reasons they're incompatible but I had to chime in.

That was me dude!!!!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:09 AM

That was me dude!!!!

And to summarize, its not the rev limiter, but the advance curve that seems different?

Dave

• DGXR

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:24 AM

I think the engine would blow up before 12K. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:18 PM

And to summarize, its not the rev limiter, but the advance curve that seems different?

Dave

Correct Dave

I did my first ride on the weekend and the revability is tremendous. Remember all I did was revert to my 600R CDI (which I had to remove and replace with the 650L CDI to get my estart working)

The 600R CDI is fantastic. I'm sure the 650L is designed for poorer fuel and less power and I dont think the 600R CDI will really affect the longevity of the 650L motor much at all if you acceot the 650L/600R are essentially the same.

Hell I'm running the 628 slug in my motor and HOnda always did that with the 628R race bikes so I think it's all fine.

Interestingly a few years ago Precision concepts sent me a 400R coli to try on my 600R as they reckon JOhnny C reckoned it pulled better but didnt show up on the dyno.

So I may also install a 400R coil as well as CDI.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Correct Dave

I did my first ride on the weekend and the revability is tremendous. Remember all I did was revert to my 600R CDI (which I had to remove and replace with the 650L CDI to get my estart working)

The 600R CDI is fantastic. I'm sure the 650L is designed for poorer fuel and less power and I dont think the 600R CDI will really affect the longevity of the 650L motor much at all if you acceot the 650L/600R are essentially the same.

Hell I'm running the 628 slug in my motor and HOnda always did that with the 628R race bikes so I think it's all fine.

Interestingly a few years ago Precision concepts sent me a 400R coli to try on my 600R as they reckon JOhnny C reckoned it pulled better but didnt show up on the dyno.

So I may also install a 400R coil as well as CDI.

So here's my dream- a box you plug into the XRL harness that lets you plug in a 600R CDI.

Dave

• rmhrc630

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:57 PM

So here's my dream- a box you plug into the XRL harness that lets you plug in a 600R CDI.

Dave

Dave

That is actually achievable but very cumbersome. It's the same question I asked Australia's bike electrical guru (http://www.bettabike...m/products.html)

Steve said possible but it would be a wiring nightmare.

Hopefully the fellow who posted on here (Lots of bikes) will see my post and reply to the query about the XR400CDI on the 600R.

As you may know the Vortex CDI required a movement of the sensor on the flywheel to advance the timing and make the Vortex ignition boost the 400Rs power.

On the 600R the pulsar coil is on the right hand side of the engine not the left like the 400R and 650R (which I was advised share the same flywheel)

• hypersthenos

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hey RMHRC630. Glad to know you're out there. Did I remember correctly about the whole 600 vs 650L CDI/starting issue or am I crossing brain cells again? Hope I'm not offering missinformation.

• MartinDKtm

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:24 AM

Would an ofset key or move the pick-up in the flywheel of the 650L would help it to have a few more degrees in the timing without changing the CDI? It wont change the rev limiter limit but it would have more agressive timing. We do it in snowmobiles (2 & 4 strokes). Maybe we should try something...

Martin

• rmhrc630

Posted April 13, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hey RMHRC630. Glad to know you're out there. Did I remember correctly about the whole 600 vs 650L CDI/starting issue or am I crossing brain cells again? Hope I'm not offering missinformation.

Spot on Hyper. I started with a XR600R motor ,added the HRC 628 kit then added electric start.

The estart turned the motor over beautifully, but did not light the engine. we traced it eventually to the CDI not getting enough ummph to allow a spark to occur.

So had my wiring rewired for the 650L CDI which immediatley allowed the bike to start on estart.

The issue then whcih was diccovered by seat of the pants feel was that pwoer was down - especially as I'd opened the airbox and installed the might FCRMX41mm with Burned jetting speccs I epxected my bike to run like a raped ape. It didnt and so just in the last few weeks I sussed out putting my XR600R CDI back on which immediatley gave me the power back.

The 600R CDI is much more aggressive and provides much better power

• hypersthenos

Posted April 14, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Does your electric start still work? Kinda wondering as I have a salved L motor and am contemplating the same mods to a dual sported 600 if I can find one.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:38 PM

Does your electric start still work? Kinda wondering as I have a salved L motor and am contemplating the same mods to a dual sported 600 if I can find one.

The button and all still works but it wont light the engine. I have a pulse tester which will tell me how mcuh voltage I need - the electrical guru is then gonna do his magic tricks to rejig the 600R CDI.

at the moment I have the bike running on kick start only.

e start is a matter of simpley swapping cdis

• hypersthenos

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:40 PM

Right on. Let us know when it's all sorted.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Wow this thread has gotten old... :thumbsup:

Anyway, if you want to find out where your redline is, it is simple.

Use either second or third gear.. Take the bike up to it's top speed in that gear, at redline - throttle pinned.. The pull in the clutch and see if the engine revs any higher. If it does not, then you have either reached the maximum RPM of the engine, or the rev-limiter in the CDI box. And yes, ALL modern japanese four strokes have rev-limiters built into their CDI; so you can't hurt the engine on this test, unless your bike has other mechanical problems.

You will need a friend with a bike to ride next to you to check the speed, or us a GPS on a straight road.

Download the chart found HERE

Plug in the pertinate numbers, and the chart will be correct for your bike.

:worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.