crank removal/installation tool ???

8 replies to this topic
  • TeamScream

Posted February 20, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Looking ofr info from any of you guys who have split cases on the 426 or 450, I would like to know what tools you prefer for crank removal and installation.
The Yamaha tools listed in the manual are produced by K&L Supply and i can get them but I am wondering if those are the best choice for the job?
Motion Pro sells a case splitter but it appears that to get the crank re-installed in the case there is really nothing else available?
Anyone have info?
Thanks!

• Batmandog

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Looking ofr info from any of you guys who have split cases on the 426 or 450, I would like to know what tools you prefer for crank removal and installation.
The Yamaha tools listed in the manual are produced by K&L Supply and i can get them but I am wondering if those are the best choice for the job?
Motion Pro sells a case splitter but it appears that to get the crank re-installed in the case there is really nothing else available?
Anyone have info?
Thanks!

I've never had a problem getting cases apart just using a good heavy rubber mallet and a little patience , usually no more than 5 mins or so . You dont have as much control when you're at the last few mm's before the cases are apart but with a little care you wont have a parts explosion when your finished ! You can use a little heat on the bearings too if they're holding the crank tightly ....

• rsstom

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I agree with Batmandog. Never had to use any special tools other than a rotor puller.

• TeamScream

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Batmandog,
I actually went at it before I read this post and just started to take it apart.
It came apart suprisingly easy, no parts explosion at all and the crank just slipped right out.
Now I am reading the manual to try and find out what to look for as far as worn tranny parts.

This motor really did not need to come apart but it is an "extra" motor after my recent WR rebuild so I decided to build another bike with ebay parts and do ALL of the engine work myself.
I cant believe after taking this thing apart that I actually ever paid anybody to do the work for me before, but fear will do that to you I guess.
Anyway, thanks for the reply, I am sending the crank off to Falicon tomorrow for balancing and a new knife rod, because I know that the small end of the stock rod is worn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FFRacing79

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:23 PM

I told ya so!!! :thumbsup: Tdub

• Batmandog

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Batmandog,
I actually went at it before I read this post and just started to take it apart.
It came apart suprisingly easy, no parts explosion at all and the crank just slipped right out.
Now I am reading the manual to try and find out what to look for as far as worn tranny parts.

This motor really did not need to come apart but it is an "extra" motor after my recent WR rebuild so I decided to build another bike with ebay parts and do ALL of the engine work myself.
I cant believe after taking this thing apart that I actually ever paid anybody to do the work for me before, but fear will do that to you I guess.
Anyway, thanks for the reply, I am sending the crank off to Falicon tomorrow for balancing and a new knife rod, because I know that the small end of the stock rod is worn.

Yup !

• TeamScream

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:25 AM

I told ya so!!! :thumbsup: Tdub

I know ya did Tdub,
The only bummer is that Falicon does not make a knife rod for the 426, but ProX does,
Has anyone ever used a ProX rod in a 426? results? failures?

• rsgators2001

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:35 AM

I have to replace my crankcase (chain craked casing behind shifter) on a Z400. Shouln't be much different, do you think? I was anticipating parts falling out. Have to read manual first...

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:27 AM

there are a couple of cases on ebay right now if you need them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.