Do I really need an '06???

40 replies to this topic
  • ScaredSilly

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:32 PM

ahhhh

So you're saying it would make a difference? :thumbsup:

I even read that like 23 seconds before I posted. Brain and fingers are apparently not connected today... Thanks though.

• Punisher660

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:40 PM

The 01 was the best ever, then the 02 was the best, then nothing could ever beat an 03......so the 06 is lighter and a little cooler. Are you good enough to know the difference (maybe). But chances are more than likely not. (nothing personal, but most of us aren't good enough to notice a few pounds or a lightly improved suspension setup).

If you never ride the 06 are you going to know what you are missing? $4K for an 05 is a steal - get it and have fun. If your not satisfied, you could probably sell it next year for what you paid for it and get a better price on a used 06, or get the 07.

You ever notice how free food tastes better? Bikes for an unheard of price seem faster :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted February 22, 2006 - 01:53 PM

The 01 was the best ever, then the 02 was the best, then nothing could ever beat an 03......so the 06 is lighter and a little cooler. Are you good enough to know the difference (maybe). But chances are more than likely not. (nothing personal, but most of us aren't good enough to notice a few pounds or a lightly improved suspension setup).

If you never ride the 06 are you going to know what you are missing? $4K for an 05 is a steal - get it and have fun. If your not satisfied, you could probably sell it next year for what you paid for it and get a better price on a used 06, or get the 07.

You ever notice how free food tastes better? Bikes for an unheard of price seem faster :thumbsup:

Keep telling yourself that OK. The land of Lucky Charms and unicorns.. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Keep telling yourself that OK. The land of Lucky Charms and unicorns.. :thumbsup:

Good one DPW.............I have had 99,01,02,03 and a 06 YZF's..........believe me they are that much better than the prevoius year...I rode an older 01 recently and it is like a big pig compared to the 06...but it was bad in 01 :thumbsup:

• swchopper

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:30 PM

they are that much better, but wait til someone has an 06 that they bought and let them eat $1000. I just bought a used 06 RMZ450, and saved 1k. My buddy just bought a brand new 06 YZF450, and I bet he doesnt keep it over 1 month. He doesnt like dirt riding like he thought he would. Point is: Im already seeing some used 06's on the market. GETYA ONE!

• Ga426owner

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:40 PM

they are that much better, but wait til someone has an 06 that they bought and let them eat $1000. I just bought a used 06 RMZ450, and saved 1k. My buddy just bought a brand new 06 YZF450, and I bet he doesnt keep it over 1 month. He doesnt like dirt riding like he thought he would. Point is: Im already seeing some used 06's on the market. GETYA ONE!

This is the best cheapest way to buy a dirtbike...period. Slightly used or the infamous "injury forces sale" ....... :thumbsup:

• YZ450t

Posted February 22, 2006 - 02:59 PM

My humble opinion. If ya got the extra cash with no where else to use it...get the 06. I've been on both sides and have done both. Now,I actually feel that I can go up the same hills,across the same sand washes either way. I recently got back in this "madness" and got a new 05 YZ. Figured that the riding I do,and an occasional vet race (not that the wife fully knows this,lol) I wouldnt win anymore races either way. I actually went to buy another quad(Raptor 700) and left with both...sooo,if ya have bo where else to spend...Charlie

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:12 PM

You guys are killing me.

All this talk about 'WANTS' and 'NEEDS' has me seriously confused!!!

No one ever told me I had to differentiate between wants and needs when buying motorcycles and/or gear.

I may have to go sit in a dark corner somewhere and do some serious soul searching now. :thumbsup:

• YZ450t

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ha!!! Isnt wants and needs almost the same?? Shhhhh,dont tell me,I dont wanna know!!! Hmmm,Now I "need" more stuff!! Uhh why? Cause I do! Charlie

• cranky

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:43 AM

I have wondered this for a while and it would probably make a better separate post.Has anybody ever really changed bikes say 05 to 06 or from Yamaha to Suzuki or to Honda and immediately started winning races.It seems to me that most people stay about the same no matter what they switch to.Obviously if you went from a YZ400f to an 06 YZ450f you will be faster but I think on the whole peoples abilities pretty much stay the same from year to year and brand to brand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:38 AM

Get the 06

• rasta

Posted February 23, 2006 - 04:29 PM

get a 03, aftermarket suspension, the 03 rips, i will never get rid of mine. just my opinion

• gholt651

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Is the 06 better? YES! Is it lighter ? YES! Is the motor much easier to use? YES! Do you really need an 06? I did'nt but I got one anyway!!!!!!! I guess what you really need to ask yourself is how long are you going to keep it! If your like me and keep a bike 3 or 4 years it's worth it. Find someone that has an 06 450 and see if you can ride it. I will let you ride mine for 50 bucks! :thumbsup:

• motox1027

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Unless your a semi pro, get the 2005. Besides the weight difference and the motor lag, there no big difference. The 03 Yam 450, was the most powerfull 450 made. In 04 they changed some things. The 06 does feel faster, but the 03 is a beast. Also, if you buy an 05, you should be able to go out the door for 4000.00, if you buy out of state. I work at a yamaha dealer and know what you can get it for. and also am sponsered, so i have rode all the bikes. I prefer Suzuki, however, if your not a intense serious rider, go with the yamaha. It wont give you any motor problems, and the valves dont get messed up.

• briank3000

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:02 PM

If you get a o5 for 3k after someone lets you ride their o6 you kick yourself for not bucking up.

• sleestock

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:30 PM

Unless your a semi pro, get the 2005. Besides the weight difference and the motor lag, there no big difference. The 03 Yam 450, was the most powerfull 450 made. In 04 they changed some things. The 06 does feel faster, but the 03 is a beast. Also, if you buy an 05, you should be able to go out the door for 4000.00, if you buy out of state. I work at a yamaha dealer and know what you can get it for. and also am sponsered, so i have rode all the bikes. I prefer Suzuki, however, if your not a intense serious rider, go with the yamaha. It wont give you any motor problems, and the valves dont get messed up.

I'm not sure what a semi-pro is in motocross. Anyway, any level of rider would notice that an '05 feels like driving a dump truck around the track after getting off an '06. HUGE leap forward.

• Racing

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:49 PM

And in Oktober/November the '06 will be the shittest, oldest, heaviest thing around?

• EastBayThumper

Posted February 24, 2006 - 02:13 AM

SAVE $2000 and get the '05. You will not regret it.. Sure you don't get an aluminum frame or pro-tapers but you still get a bike with more balls than you can probably handle. Screw 5 gears also! If you want 5 gears get a dang WR!
You will love the 05, i DO!

• motox1027

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:23 AM

Possibly if they rode the 06. The 03-05 is still very capable, and with susupension upgrates, it feels similar to an 06. I think its worth saving 2500.00

• sleestock

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:23 AM

And in Oktober/November the '06 will be the shittest, oldest, heaviest thing around?

Wrong. There won't be drastic changes for the bike for another four or five years. The changes for '06 will be the basis for the new models until they do a major design overhaul.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.