Xr650l were do I start

5 replies to this topic
  • Boy named sue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Xr650l were do I start

I'm just wondering what I can do to improve my suspension on my 02 650L I'm 6'3" 230lbs The current setup is bone stock including the fork oil What should I do with out spending alot of money .I drive the bike about 50/50 on off road. I try to ride pretty hard. at least as hard as the bike will allow me.THe type of trail riding varies from wide open fire road to tight singal track with lots of roots and rock. What do I do .

• GIANTac1

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:53 PM

You can start by dropping about 60 lbs.!!! Nah, just foolin you bro. Try swapping out your fork oil to a heavier weight then dial in the the rear......Anything after that may be expensive, depending on how deep your pockets are. :thumbsup:

• ghoti

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:12 AM

Stock fork oil is 5wt. Transmission fluid is usually 7wt and much cheaper than fork oil. I have 10wt in mine and it is pretty stiff but I am somewhat lighter than you. Oil height will also affect dampning. Make sure the forks are fully compressed when checking oil height. This can't be done while still on the bike. Set the sag out back to 95mm, (I think that's a good number), and go from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:04 AM

turning up the clickers and heavier fork oil is all you can do for free ... dont expect much improvement ... like me, you need stiffer fork springs and rear spring ... I also weigh 225#, and the spring charts indicate I would need the heaviest springs on the list ... dont remember the spring rates, but you see where Im going with this .. we're talking about $180-$200 for springs, we can get by just fine without the valve re-working ... after all, if you're gonna go crazy with the mods, you have the wrong bike .. :thumbsup:

• Boy named sue

Posted February 21, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Thanks fellow TTrs I'll start with the fork oil and go from there.

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:18 AM

All good advice. Just my .02..................I clicked mine to almost max stiffness and added a little air (within factory limits). Works for me but then I'm not a real agressive rider. Personally I think it's pleanty firm. After reading this info I may take a look at a slightly heavier oil too.

Thanks all for the advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.