Why so many Hondas??

19 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Granted I don't follow the sport like I should but I watched the race over the weekend and while a Yamaha rider took the main event he seemed to be the only rider riding a Yami. What's up with that :thumbsup:

• FTD

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:03 AM

KTM is the majority around here.

• byggd

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:48 PM

I was referring to arena racing (I think it's called) It was 85% Honda and Suzuki

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 20, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Maybe they have a better contingency program?

• pkcof

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well, I ride the the mountains and forrests of Victoria in Australia and there's precious little evidence of any CRF450X's to be seen ... I guess that we (most of us) did our homework and went the way of the WR450F !! (and some orange )

• Gadsen

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Overall sales for off road bikes, Honda leads, with Yamaha right behind it. Its basically the same percentage I see around the trails too. I had a buddy whos nephew did the flat track (dirt) circuit back in 04 and finished 13th in the country, but about 95% of those bikes were CRF450's, some KTM's and and Yammies. Honda was king on the dirt oval! TT did a poll, it showed about the same results, ie Honda #1 with Yamaha right on its heels.

• bluebike1999

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:36 PM

In aus the sales figures are that the wr450 is top seller, closely followed by the wr 250, then the postie bike.

• OneToGo

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:47 AM

Hi
It been like this ever since the WR was introduced in AUS - I think the GSXR 1000 just pipped the WR for 2005 sales unless I'm mistaken (often the case) - it was close anyway..

In aus the sales figures are that the wr450 is top seller, closely followed by the wr 250, then the postie bike.

I guess the Aussies do their homework and pick the bikes that are going to last with little risk of grenading their gearboxes, clutch or was it valves? to many to remeber... whatever,' as the youth of today proclaim.
Postie bikes are RED anyway (and Hondas for that matter).
Happy riders ride BLUE bikes:applause:
Colin

• TWILES

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:34 PM

With the quads, Honda has and always has had the best " SPORT " ATVs. I think they still do. With the bikes, around here, its pretty much boils down to your favorite color. Seems like the CRF-R's are good sellers but the Yamaha YZ's and YZF's are just as good. A lot of people are buying Kawasaki's with the new MX bikes they have out. Not that many people trail ride like I do. My wife worked at the local Honda dealership and she said that they sold 2 CRF-X's and they both came back. I think I got the only WR they had for 2005 in my area that sold. Everyone here thinks they are going Pro and won't just ride. The other thing is that a lot of the new bikes going out now are being bought buy what I call the " inheritance " people. Someone dies, leaves them money, and the last thing they had was a FourTrax 300 20 years ago or an '80 model CR so they buy another Honda.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Twiles,
The Yamaha YFZ quads have been the better/best sport quad for several years now. Before that it was Honda and before that Suzuki. Most of these bikes/quads are pretty close. I've owned all kinds of bikes but, I have had the best luck with Yamaha dirt bikes. I will be buying a YFZ450 quad to match real soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted January 31, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Deleted

Let me ask you.....what color is the sky in your world? :busted:

• RSAthump

Posted January 31, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Here we are having a traffic cone explosion( KTMs), Generally Smurfs and Red are on even terms, the yellow bellies and the frogs are making a comeback.

• drtbk4ever

Posted January 31, 2008 - 09:25 AM

Here we are having a traffic cone explosion( KTMs), Generally Smurfs and Red are on even terms, the yellow bellies and the frogs are making a comeback.

An old thread resurrected.

A lot of the guys I ride with are on KTMs. It's like hallowean when you get a bunch of them together.

• dugabrams

Posted January 31, 2008 - 10:03 AM

Here in CA, everybody is on a Gas Gas. Everywhere you look, nothing but Gas Gas.

• brad the best

Posted January 31, 2008 - 04:32 PM

gag gas are nice bikes , actually not that much more expensive then the japanease bikes .

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 01, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Overall sales for off road bikes, Honda leads, with Yamaha right behind it.

With the exception of the harley, you'd see those same percentages on street bikes if you looked closely. Honda is big and sells a lot of bikes.

However, if you do any off-road racing (hare scrambles, enduro's, etc...), you will see a tremendous sea of orange.

• Bret The Ripper

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:14 AM

With the exception of the harley, you'd see those same percentages on street bikes if you looked closely. Honda is big and sells a lot of bikes.

However, if you do any off-road racing (hare scrambles, enduro's, etc...), you will see a tremendous sea of orange.

I thought in desert racing there is a sea of red xr's?

I believe its just the area you live in though. Here in Oregon there is a pretty good mix. I actually am a Honda guy, I just got this WR because it was the right price. So far I am impressed as long as it doesn't grenade on me. I still have a sour taste in my mouth for yamaha after owning an 01' Raptor. The tranny on every one of those blew up and yamaha did nothing to help its customers. (no recall).

The yz/wr 450's also have a slightly lighter feel to them (even if they are heavier). I like the feel better than the Honda. And I do hate saying that.

• mightymart

Posted February 02, 2008 - 01:44 PM

I have been a Honda man since i started on bikes at 12 & Im now 38, in fact 8 out of the 11 Ive owned were Hondas, But Honda has let me down with regards to there CRF450x , I really love the look of this bike but there are to many issues with it, I am just about to turn Blue, never ever thought I would but the WR has been great according to riders who have had them some time.
I rode my mates 04 WR last week & I was shocked how well I was able to ride it with ease. Now on the hunt for a low mile WR450 07

• hotdog7

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Here in nj we dont have much of a choice because you cant reg a wr so most bike are ktm or suz I have plated wr one of the luky ones but I had to pay for it.

• billybanter67

Posted February 11, 2008 - 04:36 AM

Thats right about Victoria in Australia, mostly blue and orange here. Honda dealers reckon they are selling heaps of CRF450X's but, maybe they go to another state as I never see them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.