Weird cover on the bottom of carb

13 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Me and my dad were out in the garage adjusting the pilot screw because it was way too lean so he's looking down there and there's a red cover on the very bottom of the carb and it's not a magnetic drain bolt its behind that if no one know's what it is i might be able to post some pics. I think the brand is factory r and d but its really hard to read and i cant find it on google

• Yak

Posted February 19, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Factory R&D P-38 Accelerator Pump cover.... :thumbsup:

• kid on a 426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 02:59 PM

wow thanks for the help so fast do you think that may have contributed to it running waaayyyy too lean even with a queit core in

• Yak

Posted February 19, 2006 - 03:08 PM

No probably not. what throttle position is it running lean at?

• kid on a 426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 03:13 PM

Well we fixed it pretty good now but before when u just give it a little gas above idle and let off it would make huge popping noises but we just backed out the fuel screw a bit and its almost completely gone. i didnt know that that little screw made such a big difference now im thinking of getting like a zipty easy adjust one

• kizzle426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I just got my Zip-Ty not too long ago and I love it. Just be sure before you adjust it you let it warm up completely. A lot of times mine will pop when it first starts but it calms down after a couple of minutes.

• donutman126

Posted February 19, 2006 - 10:04 PM

does the pump cover do anything or is it just for lookks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted February 19, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Well we fixed it pretty good now but before when u just give it a little gas above idle and let off it would make huge popping noises but we just backed out the fuel screw a bit and its almost completely gone. i didnt know that that little screw made such a big difference now im thinking of getting like a zipty easy adjust one

How many turns did you turn the fuel screw out?? Sounds like you need to go up a couple sizes on the pilot jet

• kizzle426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 10:45 PM

does the pump cover do anything or is it just for lookks

It makes the fuel spray into the mix faster. Yes it makes a difference especially on 400/426's as well as the BK mod.

• kid on a 426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 10:48 PM

How many turns did you turn the fuel screw out?? Sounds like you need to go up a couple sizes on the pilot jet

Like 1 and a half i think my dad said

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 19, 2006 - 11:33 PM

Maybe one size?? Then again I shouldn't talk outta my ass like this because I am familiar enough with the FCR carb to be giving jetting advice but from what you described in your original post it sounded like it was lean on the pilot jet :thumbsup:

• kizzle426

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:51 AM

If you have to go over 2 turns in either direction, you either need a size up or a size down. 1 and a half is about what I run.

• kid on a 426

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:46 PM

ya it pops a tiny bit when im flying down a hil and using the compression braking but thats probably only because its cold out

• kizzle426

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:51 PM

A little bit of popping is completely normal. That's just back pressure.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.