how to identify exact model year?

6 replies to this topic
  • bender2601

Posted February 19, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hi folks, how can I exactly identify which model year a WR450F is? :thumbsup: I have the option to buy one that is sold as Model 2004 - but I suspect it to be a 2003 (which I want to avoid by any means due to it's infamous starter-problems)
It was sold in Austria - it's model name is CJ04W and it's identification number is jyacj04w03a005573

Any help appreciated...,
Robert

• Gadsen

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hi folks, how can I exactly identify which model year a WR450F is? :thumbsup: I have the option to buy one that is sold as Model 2004 - but I suspect it to be a 2003 (which I want to avoid by any means due to it's infamous starter-problems)
It was sold in Austria - it's model name is CJ04W and it's identification number is jyacj04w03a005573

Any help appreciated...,
Robert

Well, VIN breakdown for US VINS would make that a green sticker and a 2003, but the fact it was sold in Austria tosses all that out the window. 10th digit is the year and 8th will give you green/red sticekr in Cally if its a "C" or a "3". I have a Canadian and the 8th digit is also a W, its an 04. I dont know if there was any other differences between the 03 and 04 (other than the internal starter issues) I know the 04 plastic only had a hand hold on the RH side, not the left, if the 03 had a hand hold on each side, that may be a way one way of pinpointing it also. I'd just went out into the garage and my tenth digit is a 4 making it an 04, yours is a "3" which would make it a 2003, but I could be wrong with the Austrian VIN. but its looking more like an 03 though.

• mtrablue

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:31 PM

i can't help with the vin numbers but there are a few differences in the two bikes. the '04 has an aluminum kick stand, '03 was steel. the '04 upper fork tubes were anodized a gold color, '03 forks were a much lighter coloration. the '04 had the improved starter system which means the small round cover on the left side of the motor has a distinct bulge while the '03 cover is almost flat. the left side number plate didn't get the hand hold hole till '05.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bender2601

Posted February 19, 2006 - 11:45 PM

The graphics and some colors of the bike they'd offered me is what made me suspicious about it as well.

See this comparison of the 03 and 04 and the bike in question on the lower right side:

Posted Image

- in 2003 there was the line "titanium 5 valve" on the white number panel on the back - in 2004 not
- the graphics of the side panel is different for 2003 and 2004
- the color of the forks was different

• mtrablue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:20 AM

if the picture on the lower right is the bike in question, it's an '03. the "titanium 5 valve" is up by the seat on the '04.

• bender2601

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:31 AM

In the meantime I have got the confirmation from the seller that it's a 2003 :thumbsup:

thanks for your help

• Gadsen

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well, if its had hte starter upgrade, no big deal. But there was an issue with the flywheel woodruff key also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.