06' starting woes!!

57 replies to this topic
  • CRFThumper

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:25 AM

the gals from Canada sure kicked but last nite!I just don't understand how when they get on the ice WATCH OUT! but when standing there getting there golds they look like small petite babes!That was one of the coolest awards Ive seen yet,standing as proud as can be and one of the players had her little girl there with her!OK now that I was nice and gave props where due i can say.....WE WAS ROBBED!!!!!

• Dirtrider316

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:34 AM

If my bike sits for a few days, (06 yz250f) i usually give the throttle a few blips before attempting to start it. Seems to work good, But if i doesn't start on the first 3 kicks, or if i dont hear a pop, i try the choke for a few kicks, and if that doesnt work i pull the hot start lever for a few kicks. Kinda cycle though all of the starting procedures. Its usually up and running quickly, but i always line up the cylinder on the compression stroke so i dont waste extra energy kicking it over. Im sure that helps alot also.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:19 AM

The owners manual says when its cold to prime the bike by turning the throttle open 3-4 times. It sounds crazy but it usually works. The 06 is definitely a finicky starter at times. Your cold climate and stock lean jetting are definitely part of the problem but the bike should start. You'll have to learn the drill. I always start mine in the pits before a moto and I am one of the first to start my bike before the moto starts. I've had a few scares but this bike seems to need gas on startup almost like a two stroke. Your dealer should help you figure it out. Also, I agree, dont just start it in the garage to show it offf. Break it in when the weather warms up and I can pretty nearly guarantee you're going like the bike and get used to its starting drill.

I rejetted mine like everyone talked about and it wouldn't start until I gave it a little throttle while I kicked. I talked to Ty Davis's mechanic at the WORCS race this weekend and he said that I most likely am too rich on the pilot. I should have only gone to a 45 instead of a 48. But I do have to give a little gas to get it started.

• Flash319

Posted February 21, 2006 - 01:23 PM

I don't understand why everyone twists the throttle before starting. That spray of gas floods mine. I have a stock 01 426 and never touch the gas. If I do, forget it! I have to let it sit for an hour then it will go, or change the plug. It takes 3 or 4 kicks to start when cold but that beats kicking the crap out of it or changing the plug. I would try not touching the throttle. Choke on and kick. If your idle is set right or a bit high it should start and run without interferance.

Maybe this is just my bike...................... :thumbsup:

• avlnch

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

The reason I said try it when it get's warmer is because hes just going to mess with the jetting/fuel screw to get it running right then it's going to warm up soon and he will have the same problem.

I just got mine back, the dealer installed a zipty racing fuel screw and said that that's the key to most 4-strokes. You could give that a try too.. good stuff.

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:55 PM

UPDATE!!!!!

All of the ideas here are great. The slight twist of the throttle all the way to the lean it over. I asked my dealer and this is what he said, which seems to be a problem on most of the new bikes. The pilot jet gets a sort of gummy crap in it. SO I get home, pull the jet and can see a pinhead spot of light through the jet. Blow it out, much more light now. can't start it now though. My brother in law was in charge of removing the fuel/air screw and lost the o-ring. Or as he put it, "I didn't see it fall out". Either way its gone. I know the carb didn't eat it. So tomorrow I have to get a new 1c part. I will keep the updates coming.

Also I picked up an aluminum throttle tube with interchangeable cable slides. You can adjust the amount of throttle, either stock, intermediate or slow. I'll update you on that also.

CRAPPY WEATHER SUCKS, GONNA MOVE TO FLORIDA!!!

• aford541

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:24 PM

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get bashed to no end on this one, but &%$#@!!!

Brand new bike and the damn thing only ran for a grand total of about 15 minutes in the 10 days Ive had it. I noticed it likes to start every other day. It makes me feel like a d*** when my friends want to here it run and it doesn't.

Here are the steps I take:
1. check the weather, barometer, call the weather man, check the owners manual for which starting procedure applies.
2. below 41 degrees, turn on gas, pull choke, 2 small twists, PRAY,feel for TDC, kick.
3. blub blub blub stall, (no throttle given at all)
4. no throttle, choke still open,TDC, kick,TDC, kick,TDC, kick,TDC, kick,TDC, kick,TDC, kick...............
5. check pulse, take a glycerin pill to prevent heart attack.
6. shut off gas, push choke in, put back on stand, walk away.
7. shut off garage lights a curse all the way to my laptop to bitch about it to you guys.:thumbsup:
8. ice down foot and peel away dead skin.

So now I ask of you again. &%$#@!, I am really tempted to return this. Now I haven't jetted the thing, farted with the fuel mixture or anything else. I know it has the ability to run, it did at the dealer and also at my house a few times. But neither was consistent, even the dealer who owns a few had a hard time.

Anything would be helpful here.. Thanks.

:thumbsup: :bonk:

Man thats brutal.
I took Burned's advice and changed the jets before I tried to start it and I am in California.
I have a power now front and back (usually requires more jet) I run Oxygenated fuel (requires more fuel) and ride at 1600 to 3000 feet
I installed the Storm Racing fuel screw at 1.5 turns out 48 pilot and raised the needle one with a 170 Main and its perfect, it starts with the laziest kick first kick most of the time as long as the bike is at top dead center when I kick it. If its cold I will blip it once or twice if its really cold I will crank it wide open and hold it twice.
I too went through the school of hard knocks I had a 02 426 that was brutal to start, maybe Bubba needs one of those, then he will start that Kawi no problem.

• broncomoto

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Brough home my '06 450FV 2 weeks ago. It popped like crazy, Dealer tweaked fuel mixture and the pilot jet fell ou (first ride - 1/2 lap). Go over it, put in the "trick" fuel screw, but it still pops. Kicking it at my first Hare Scramble not only destroyed my Alpinstars, but blew my groin out as well. Third ride, here in Austin we had a rare 32 degree day, went out to ride the local buttah, kicking it left footed (my groin) until the cows came home - I was TICKED! I just remebered about tightening up the exhaust, and in this chain, someone mentioned the plug. They BOTH can be loose. What about fuel boosting?

• broncomoto

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I like what you did and I'm gonna' do it . You mentioned Oxygenated Gas, what do you use?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wicked Xtreme

Posted February 24, 2006 - 03:54 PM

WOOOOO FRIGGIN' HOOOOO. about time!!!! Got my new O-Ring, Put the blue bitch back together and OLE'. Started ice cold with coke and two blips on the first kick. Warmed up in about just over a minute. Choke off, idled perfect, after a minor adjustment. Off we went in 40 mph winds and temp at about 25 degrees. Ran perfect, no pops or stalls, OK one stall, rider error. I didn't beat on it, still need to break it in. So I repeat myself........

WOO FRIGGIN' HOOOOO!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Going riding out in L.I next weekend when the weather is gonna hit I think around 50.

Thanks everyone.. now if I could just teach the cat to use a toilet.

• stknrdr

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I was reading all this stuff...and maybe im a little late here but here are my observations regarding the 06

I think people are way too quick to start tearing into thier carbs and throwing jets around...I mean yeah, jets will make it run better but it should start up and run regardless.

From what I have seen so far...my 06 450 starts just like every other carbureted 4 stroke I have ever seen. That means when its 40 or less outside its gonna need a LOT of gas to get going. Dont you remember pumping the gas pedal on the old chevy? Same thing exactly. I had a little trouble starting mine until I read the owners manual and it said 4 twists of the throttle below a certain temp - now it starts right up no problem. What im saying is that it takes a bit of technique and finesse.

The other thing I see...is that they are cold blooded bitches..every last one of them..from my 84 honda XL right up to my present yz 450..youre wasting your time trying to do anything like ride or turn off the choke until its up to operating temp. Than happens really fast in summer but when its 20 degrees out its gonna need to sit there and idle for a few before you will even be able to advance the throttle at all without killing it.

Like I say I came late to the party and you guys got him going...but still...dont rejet your carb just because it wont start easily at 30 degrees :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:28 PM

I like what you did and I'm gonna' do it . You mentioned Oxygenated Gas, what do you use?

I use Elf LMS

I saw this F-1 fuel I'd like to try F-1 Spec

Oh, I also disconnected the throttle position sensor to get maximum advance at low throttle openings.

• aford541

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:33 PM

I was reading all this stuff...and maybe im a little late here but here are my observations regarding the 06

I think people are way too quick to start tearing into thier carbs and throwing jets around...I mean yeah, jets will make it run better but it should start up and run regardless.

From what I have seen so far...my 06 450 starts just like every other carbureted 4 stroke I have ever seen. That means when its 40 or less outside its gonna need a LOT of gas to get going. Dont you remember pumping the gas pedal on the old chevy? Same thing exactly. I had a little trouble starting mine until I read the owners manual and it said 4 twists of the throttle below a certain temp - now it starts right up no problem. What im saying is that it takes a bit of technique and finesse.

The other thing I see...is that they are cold blooded bitches..every last one of them..from my 84 honda XL right up to my present yz 450..youre wasting your time trying to do anything like ride or turn off the choke until its up to operating temp. Than happens really fast in summer but when its 20 degrees out its gonna need to sit there and idle for a few before you will even be able to advance the throttle at all without killing it.

Like I say I came late to the party and you guys got him going...but still...dont rejet your carb just because it wont start easily at 30 degrees :thumbsup:

Well keep in mind that this is backed up by data not a bunch of horny old men that are jet exchanging, in my earlier post I mentioned that I did like Burned reccomended, how he arrived at that was with a dyno, then provided altitute corrected information which is what most of us went on.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 24, 2006 - 11:07 PM

Well having just converted to strokers from a YZ250, I'm considering myself pretty lucky after reading this string.

We've had temps consistently in the 20s and 30s since I brought my '06 450f home about a month ago, and I've had no problems at all starting it. Three or four flicks of the throttle and full choke when stone cold brings it to life in about three to five kicks. If its been sitting for a few days, I'll tip it over to load the carb and it fires right up. When its warm it starts on the first kick every time.

After watching my riding buddies struggle with their four stroke starts for years, I was beginning to think the manufacturers had finally 'cracked the code' and made it easy... but maybe I've just been having beginners luck. Now I'm a bit worried how mine will behave when it starts to warm up a round here in a month or so.

• SureBlue

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:18 AM

My money is on Finland for Mens Ice Hockey.

Man, those are some pissed off blue men..... :thumbsup:

I hope you bet moderately and did not loose all your money.
Congrats Sweden. :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:10 AM

I hope you bet moderately and did not loose all your money.
Congrats Sweden. :thumbsup:

Hehe. As long as it wasnt russia. :thumbsup:

• kxman

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:14 PM

My bike was a bitch at first. Now that it has a few hours on it and the temperature is 50 f. It is starting great.

• broncomoto

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:25 AM

It took you advice and I'm at peace with my '06 450 now. thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.