06' starting woes!!

57 replies to this topic
  • avlnch

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Wait until tuesday to start up you're bike again. I honestly think that the cold weather has screwed around with everybody's bikes. Mine did the same stuff. Tuesday will be about 50 high, when will this damn winter go away already :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted February 19, 2006 - 09:26 PM

Mine starts today and it's below freezing.....hmm?

• SureBlue

Posted February 19, 2006 - 11:26 PM

Mine starts today and it's below freezing.....hmm?

So did mine...
Posted Image

• Stevequest2000

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:01 AM

I had to turn up the idle on mine when I got it, but that's it for now. I'm gonna put at least 5 hours on the bike before I start messing with the intake. Don't do any jetting until you break in the bike and "read" the plug. The jetting may be a little lean, but you might just be throwing some money into the fan if you don't need the jeting for your riding style. Get the fuel screw to help adjust for weather and break her in.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 20, 2006 - 04:54 AM

For cold weather the bike needs more choke circuit fuel. try a 75 starter jet in winter and a 72 for spring and fall. :thumbsup:

Yamaha Part numbers for the starter jets:

3TJ-1494F-16-00 .JET (#72)
3TJ-1494F-17-00 .JET (#75)

• CRFThumper

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:02 AM

So did mine...
Posted Image

SHOWOFF!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Fizz

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:06 AM

So did mine...
Posted Image

where are you from? :thumbsup: looks like swedish plates on the cars .. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:50 AM

where are you from? :thumbsup: looks like swedish plates on the cars .. :thumbsup:

I'm from your eastern neighbor, the country that beats you in ice-hockey repeatedly, just like we did the canadians last night :bonk: :bonk:

• Decreasing Dave

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:00 AM

Do you guys think that I'll have to change the jetting (richen) even if I'm at 4,600 FT above sea level???

Thanks,
Dave

• SureBlue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:01 AM

SHOWOFF!!!!!! :thumbsup:

:bonk: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Do you guys think that I'll have to change the jetting (richen) even if I'm at 4,600 FT above sea level???

Thanks,
Dave

What's the temperature?

• Decreasing Dave

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:19 AM

What's the temperature?

Currently in the 60's to 70's.

Summertime gets upwards of 100 but usually hovering in the 90's for the duration of summer months. Spring and Fall taper up and down respectively.

Thanks,
Dave

• SureBlue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Considering the elevation and temps I would try 45 pilot and 168 main, slightly richer than stock 42/165. Maybe grayracer can provide more exact calculations, but factory jetting is lean almost everywhere. But I'm no jetting expert.

• mxmob33

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I live in California and couldn't start mine when it was new. I was the guy at the track with the brand new back who spent half the day kicking it..

All I can say is that once it is broken in, it starts first kick. Get a good couple of hours on it and for some reason it's fine. I have no idea why it doesn't start when it's new but it's super frustrating.

• Private B

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm in Albuquerque, NM at 5100 and I'm running at 162 main, 48 pilot, 50 leak jet and fuel screw varies pending temperature. I would say come summer when temps hit he 80's on up you could probably drop to a 160 main and a 45 pilot.I haven't played with the needle at all and my bike is pretty crisp.

• CRFThumper

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm from your eastern neighbor, the country that beats you in ice-hockey repeatedly, just like we did the canadians last night :thumbsup: :bonk:

Oh yea,but we took your guys curling tram rite out!HOCKEY PFFFT! curling is where its at! LOL :thumbsup:

• Fizz

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:05 PM

dont know how the finnish team did in curling, but the swedes surtainly did´nt show their full potential ....

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:24 PM

My money is on Finland for Mens Ice Hockey.

Man, those are some pissed off blue men..... :thumbsup:

• sbrown

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:53 PM

The owners manual says when its cold to prime the bike by turning the throttle open 3-4 times. It sounds crazy but it usually works. The 06 is definitely a finicky starter at times. Your cold climate and stock lean jetting are definitely part of the problem but the bike should start. You'll have to learn the drill. I always start mine in the pits before a moto and I am one of the first to start my bike before the moto starts. I've had a few scares but this bike seems to need gas on startup almost like a two stroke. Your dealer should help you figure it out. Also, I agree, dont just start it in the garage to show it offf. Break it in when the weather warms up and I can pretty nearly guarantee you're going like the bike and get used to its starting drill.

• SureBlue

Posted February 20, 2006 - 02:00 PM

For cold weather the bike needs more choke circuit fuel. try a 75 starter jet in winter and a 72 for spring and fall. :thumbsup:

Yamaha Part numbers for the starter jets:

3TJ-1494F-16-00 .JET (#72)
3TJ-1494F-17-00 .JET (#75)

I definitely believe in this.

Oh yea,but we took your guys curling tram rite out!HOCKEY PFFFT! curling is where its at! LOL :thumbsup:

Did you know curling is considered one of the most dangerous sports ever :bonk:

The owners manual says when its cold to prime the bike by turning the throttle open 3-4 times. It sounds crazy but it usually works. The 06 is definitely a finicky starter at times. Your cold climate and stock lean jetting are definitely part of the problem but the bike should start. You'll have to learn the drill. I always start mine in the pits before a moto and I am one of the first to start my bike before the moto starts. I've had a few scares but this bike seems to need gas on startup almost like a two stroke. Your dealer should help you figure it out. Also, I agree, dont just start it in the garage to show it offf. Break it in when the weather warms up and I can pretty nearly guarantee you're going like the bike and get used to its starting drill.

4 blips really work.
That's why raising the idle works so good too.
Now my bike starts very easy. It's all about getting to know it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.