Dead Engine Starts

16 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted February 18, 2006 - 11:10 PM

This coming weekend is going to be my first desert race on a 4-stroke (06 450). I need advice on dead engine starts in gear. Could anyone help me with the drill?

• kid on a 426

Posted February 18, 2006 - 11:19 PM

just pull the clutch in and do the drill kick till it gets hard at top dead center then pull in the decompression release move the kickstarter like 2 inches then wind up and nail it

• mikedabike

Posted February 19, 2006 - 12:10 AM

I never try to start my bike in gear. Too much trouble. My drill is to have the bike warm but not hot. Put the bike in nuetral get it to the top of the stroke pull the clutch in and try to relax. When the flag drops I give it a good solid kick all the way through make sure I got the RPM's up bang it in to second and feed the clutch out as I accelarate away. I try to do everything smooth and relaxed and not get to wound up. I find I consistently get good starts this way.

• rmracer27

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:42 AM

These bikes will start in gear, but they will start alot easier in neutral. I would do what mikedabike said and not take the risk of it not start in gear. Just my thought. Good luck!

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted February 19, 2006 - 06:36 AM

I have a my firs 4 stroke (06' 450f) and was since your talking about starting. Can the bike be bump started?? just roll down a hill in gear pop the clutch and booom, fires up??
Good luck Jeffboy, kick some ass.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted February 19, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I never try to start my bike in gear. Too much trouble. My drill is to have the bike warm but not hot. Put the bike in nuetral get it to the top of the stroke pull the clutch in and try to relax. When the flag drops I give it a good solid kick all the way through make sure I got the RPM's up bang it in to second and feed the clutch out as I accelarate away. I try to do everything smooth and relaxed and not get to wound up. I find I consistently get good starts this way.

You know I was thinking that might be the way to go, I can get it to start in gear but not very consistently. It would suck to put all of that time, money and effort into this event and then blow it on the start. I think that is what happened to Russ Pearson at the last national, and if he can have problems starting in gear, what are my odds?

• moochie

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:14 AM

just pull the clutch in and do the drill kick till it gets hard at top dead center then pull in the decompression release move the kickstarter like 2 inches then wind up and nail it

Does an 06 yzf450 have a decompression lever to pull in?

• WRookie

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:40 AM

no, the last model year to have manual decompression was 02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 12:40 PM

oh yah i forgot about that sorry guys

• LVThumper

Posted February 19, 2006 - 02:02 PM

If you are talking about the MRAN race next weekend, don't worry about getting the hole shot. You'll have PLENTY of miles ahead of you to track down the other guys in the "M" (read "seasoned") riders in your class. Since this is your first race, just relax, practice starting your bike until you have it down, and just do your best to catch the guy in front of you! :thumbsup:

17t

• kizzle426

Posted February 19, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Here's what I do: Get up to the line, put the bike in neutral, push the kick starter down to TDC and then just past. Kick it into neutral and pull the clutch in to start. Easy as pie.

• BergArabia

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:22 PM

I have a my firs 4 stroke (06' 450f) and was since your talking about starting. Can the bike be bump started?? just roll down a hill in gear pop the clutch and booom, fires up??
Good luck Jeffboy, kick some ass.

Not sure about the 06 but my 05 bump starts very nicely..
As I can not claim to be an expert rider I have been in a situation many times where I come over a dune in too high a gear while going to slow. Bike stalls just as I crest the dune. I pull the clutch and lets it build some speed coming down the dune face, drop the clutch and it starts smooth as butter..

• jeffboyd47m

Posted February 19, 2006 - 09:08 PM

If you are talking about the MRAN race next weekend, don't worry about getting the hole shot. You'll have PLENTY of miles ahead of you to track down the other guys in the "M" (read "seasoned") riders in your class. Since this is your first race, just relax, practice starting your bike until you have it down, and just do your best to catch the guy in front of you! :thumbsup:

17t

No I am not doing the MRAN race. I am doing the USRA Rhino Rally in St. George. I went riding today and practiced about 20 or so starts, I think I`ve got it down now, I can start it in 2nd gear 9 out of 10 times now. The trick seems to be making sure that your on top dead center and giving it a good healthy kick. I`ll let you guys know how it goes when I get back from the race. Thanks for all of the tips! PS-Oh yea, This is not my 1st race. Just my 1st one in the desert on a 4-stroke.

• Stevequest2000

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:18 AM

When I got my 4 stroke broke in I was practicing starts on a "hot" engine for GNCC and local hare scramble races. What worked the best was starting it like my 2 stroke: Keep it in gear, rev it about 1/4 throttle in gear with clutch in and front brake held, then let the motor kill the engine as you let the clutch out, rolling the throttle off as the engine dies. then pull the clutch in and kick without the hot start. Started every time

• lipskid

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:27 PM

The key to starting in gear (works for me anyway) is to have the bike well warmed up. When you pull to the line, with the clutch in and bike still in gear, kill the engine. DO NOT LET THE CLUTCH OUT(Key). Keep it in. Find TDC. Use the hot start if your bikes good and warm. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:23 PM

The key to starting in gear (works for me anyway) is to have the bike well warmed up. When you pull to the line, with the clutch in and bike still in gear, kill the engine. DO NOT LET THE CLUTCH OUT(Key). Keep it in. Find TDC. Use the hot start if your bikes good and warm. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

that works well for me...

• jeffboyd47m

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Well my race didn`t go too bad, My bike started on the first kick but I hesitated for a moment because I wasn`t sure that it started with all the noise of the other bikes. I got a flat on the front about 20 miles into the race but I rode anyway and still ended up 2nd in my class(40+ Expert)so I can`t complain too much. I`m not sure where I ended up overall but I think it was inside the top 30. Thank you for all of the tips, They were very helpful. See you at the races!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.