'L' air filter question

7 replies to this topic
  • johnnyonthegas

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:11 PM

anybody know if anyone makes a replacement air fliter mount and intake for the XR650L?

I'm looking for something that replaces the stock airbox, which makes working on the back of the bike a real pain.....

I've done a bit of googling with issue and have found nothing, but it's hard to believe that these bikes have been around this long and have sold this many that no one has made an intake kit that replaces the stock airbox...... :thumbsup:

any help is much appreciated

• roadcam

Posted February 18, 2006 - 10:21 PM

try using the "sock-type" UniFilters, or equivalent ... J.C. Whitney also carries a sock-type foam filter in their motorcycle catalog, just measure the throat size of your carb :thumbsup:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:57 AM

anybody know if anyone makes a replacement air fliter mount and intake for the XR650L?

I'm looking for something that replaces the stock airbox, which makes working on the back of the bike a real pain.....

I've done a bit of googling with issue and have found nothing, but it's hard to believe that these bikes have been around this long and have sold this many that no one has made an intake kit that replaces the stock airbox...... :thumbsup:

any help is much appreciated

Hopefully not condescending here, but just keep in mind the increased probablility of ingesting water with an exposed element. Have a killswitch nearby so if you do get in too deep, you can kill the ignition before the engine sucks water and hydrolocks. Bent rod or other internal damage can easily happen with this setup, not to mention the hassle of removing the water from inside the cylinder/cases.

I concur though, the cone-shaped foam or gauze-screen round filters for your carb throat diameter would be the ticket. :thumbsup:

• johnnyonthegas

Posted February 19, 2006 - 09:11 AM

yes, that's an excellent consideration.....ideally, I'd have both set ups available, as I'm going to supermotard this bike for some of it's duty, but other times, will definitely be doing water crossings and shite like that as I plan on travelling to far away places on the bike, including Baja and Alaska,.....so I plan on converting the bike back and forth......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • supaflyryan

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:57 PM

UNI makes one with a 2.5" inlet, which is what I use. I did a writeup on 4strokes about relocating the electrical stuff to the airbox and using a pod filter.

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=21217

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Are there any spark arrestor problems riding with a sock filter on Federal forest land or is this a stupid question. I know the exhaust needs it but doesn't the intake need arresting as well?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 21, 2006 - 10:51 AM

Are there any spark arrestor problems riding with a sock filter on Federal forest land or is this a stupid question. I know the exhaust needs it but doesn't the intake need arresting as well?

US Rangers usually just check the spark arrester at the exhaust.

Backfires do occur, but its usually a flame, and not sparks. Personally, I think the odds of an exhaust spark igniting a forest fire is tremendously small, but it has happened.

One thing to consider with sock airfilters at the carb throat is a backfire could waste your element, and you might be without filtration with a long dusty ride home. Likelihood is low, though.

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:11 PM

K&N RU-1760

I will be putting mine on tonight!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.