New YZ450F OIL LEAK!!!

35 replies to this topic
  • letmein

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone else experienced a problem with an oil leak? The bike is dripping oil from behind the black breather tube. It looks like some kind of plug fell out. Luckily, we saw the leak before it was too late (we hope).

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:49 PM

"behind the black breather tube"

To me, that could be one of two places. If you mean behind the pressure balance vent tube that runs up to the front of the engine, in front of the cylinder, behind the frame tube, see if your dipstick is missing.

If you mean the black breather tube that runs down and exits under the left crankcase cover, you may have lost a plug from the return oil passage drilled along the bottom of the ignition cover. This has been reported once before. There should be 3, if I recall correctly. If missing, they can be replaced by a snug fitting steel ball and staked into place. Be certain not to obstruct the oil passage by inserting a ball too deeply.

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:08 AM

Yes this happened to me this past weekend on my new 450 also. Anybody find out what it was? Did your dealer fix it under warranty?

• kid on a 426

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:37 PM

Luckily, we saw the leak before it was too late (we hope).

how bad of a leak are we talking about?

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:13 PM

how bad of a leak are we talking about?

Its pretty bad the oil will almost keep a steady pour.

My dealer replaced the side cover along with new oil and filter. No charge under warranty. Hahm Motorsports takes care of the customer.

• PK

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:09 AM

How and where did Chad Reed sign your bike? I would love to see him run a yellow this year at some point...

• avlnch

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:48 AM

How and where did Chad Reed sign your bike? I would love to see him run a yellow this year at some point...

Same question, that's pretty cool.

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:27 AM

I bought my bike from Hahm Motorsports in Anaheim, Ca. Chad was there doing an autograph session. The guy who got me the best deal I could find on a Ltd Edition asked Chad to sign my number plate. Usually the rider contracts won't allow this as they don't want dealers selling the bike for more money because it's signed but since this one was already sold I guess they were able to talk him into it. I just need another number plate now. :thumbsup:

• YZ4fiddy

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I bought my 06 that same day from Hahm, Team Yamaha was there that night doing an autograph session. Hahm hooked me up big time, this is the 3rd time they have saved me a ton of ca$h! Just benchmark La pricing with them and keep the business in OC

• yamajoe

Posted February 23, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I mentioned this problem a month ago but nobody seemed to care too much, I only got 1 reply from "older and wiser", AND LISTENED TO HIM. Maybe I have to put it in big bold capitol letters next time for people to see it, maybe add some exclamation points! Now that it's happening more maybe people will start posting ideas. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bent out of shape about it but I couldn't believe that only one person looked at that post, if i see anything about my bike having a potential-problem, I look at it just like i did on this post. It's just that most people that get their new bikes are so hyped-up to put aftermarket accessories on it and ride it they forget to look at the tiny things. Like re-routing the breather tubes (top of motor and carb tubes) the oil galley plugs, and bar height etc... As far as I go I just staked them a little and put hi-temp silicone to cover the ends, just in case. I was thinking maybe some jb weld, does anybody know if it's a good idea, the jb weld i mean? If worse comes to worse I'll just pull the damn thing off and tap it with some pipe plugs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gholt651

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:44 PM

This oil leak problem sounds like it could be on all of our bikes! Mine has not done it yet but I will keep an eye on it. As far as the ones that have started leaking I would take it to the dealer. This sounds more like a DEFECT :thumbsup: . The more people with the same problem the more Yamaha will have to take action to fix it. The best thing to do is call Yamaha directly and talk to them about it.Unless you know the mechanic or someone who will shoot you straight at your local shop :thumbsup: .Atleast it's not valve problems. :bonk:

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:00 PM

I bought my 06 that same day from Hahm, Team Yamaha was there that night doing an autograph session. Hahm hooked me up big time, this is the 3rd time they have saved me a ton of ca$h! Just benchmark La pricing with them and keep the business in OC

Hahm beat LA Yamaha for me and I live in Ventura Co.! But I will frequent Hahm and buy accessories I need from them too.

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:02 PM

This oil leak problem sounds like it could be on all of our bikes! Mine has not done it yet but I will keep an eye on it. As far as the ones that have started leaking I would take it to the dealer. This sounds more like a DEFECT :bonk: . The more people with the same problem the more Yamaha will have to take action to fix it. The best thing to do is call Yamaha directly and talk to them about it.Unless you know the mechanic or someone who will shoot you straight at your local shop :thumbsup: .Atleast it's not valve problems. :bonk:

The oil leak in my experience is all or none either the plug is there or it's gone, no starting to leak involved. Just keep your eyes on it. :thumbsup:

• kelstr

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:36 AM

I mentioned this problem a month ago but nobody seemed to care too much, I only got 1 reply from "older and wiser", AND LISTENED TO HIM. Maybe I have to put it in big bold capitol letters next time for people to see it, maybe add some exclamation points! Now that it's happening more maybe people will start posting ideas. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bent out of shape about it but I couldn't believe that only one person looked at that post, if i see anything about my bike having a potential-problem, I look at it just like i did on this post. It's just that most people that get their new bikes are so hyped-up to put aftermarket accessories on it and ride it they forget to look at the tiny things. Like re-routing the breather tubes (top of motor and carb tubes) the oil galley plugs, and bar height etc... As far as I go I just staked them a little and put hi-temp silicone to cover the ends, just in case. I was thinking maybe some jb weld, does anybody know if it's a good idea, the jb weld i mean? If worse comes to worse I'll just pull the damn thing off and tap it with some pipe plugs.

i also started a thread on these oil galley plugs that will come out and or leak,
there have been two 06 450's out here in az that lost motors because of these,
i had afew guys comment ,
and i explained how to epoxy and or tap and put in allen head plugs,

oh well , i tried to help :thumbsup:

i guess if everybody wants to learn the hard way it is their prerogative :thumbsup: :bonk:

• IMCanadian

Posted February 25, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Can someone post a picture of the plug that seems to have the issue. I'm kind of confused as to where the problem could occur.

• Decreasing Dave

Posted March 01, 2006 - 05:38 AM

Can someone post a picture of the plug that seems to have the issue. I'm kind of confused as to where the problem could occur.

Look at page 2-20 of your service manual.

The item lableled "B", is the oil passage from the oil pump. At the point where the arrow is, there is an outline drawing of the end of the "tube" at the backside of the case. On the drawing, it looks like a box. This is where the plug is/was.

Picked my bike up today, rode it for 5 minutes, dumped ALL of the oil on my neighbor's driveway (he was thrilled). Problem was, I didn't know it until a little while later (about 3 more minutes, run time).

The bikes at the shop now. I found the plug. The Tech put it back in and staked it. The Service Manager is calling Yamaha in the morning. The Tech is taking the valve cover off this morning and checking the cam for scaring. I just hope I didn't do permanent damage, especially if it doesn't occur until at least 31 days from now ($). :thumbsup:

Dave

• Ga426owner

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Look at page 2-20 of your service manual.

The item lableled "B", is the oil passage from the oil pump. At the point where the arrow is, there is an outline drawing of the end of the "tube" at the backside of the case. On the drawing, it looks like a box. This is where the plug is/was.

Picked my bike up today, rode it for 5 minutes, dumped ALL of the oil on my neighbor's driveway (he was thrilled). Problem was, I didn't know it until a little while later (about 3 more minutes, run time).

The bikes at the shop now. I found the plug. The Tech put it back in and staked it. The Service Manager is calling Yamaha in the morning. The Tech is taking the valve cover off this morning and checking the cam for scaring. I just hope I didn't do permanent damage, especially if it doesn't occur until at least 31 days from now ($). :thumbsup:

Dave

I am still fuzzy on where this plug actually is...is it in the case on the backside or inside at that oil passageway? Or is it right behind the bottom of the breather tube on the outside of the case?
Where ever it is and if these are failing is there a Yamaha Service Bullentin on this issue or any other 06 issue for that matter?
Does anyone have a connection to the Yamaha Service Bulletins?

Kelster or anyone how was this fixed permanently? I am not liking the idea of epoxy or JB Weld........

• Decreasing Dave

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I am still fuzzy on where this plug actually is...is it in the case on the backside or inside at that oil passageway? Or is it right behind the bottom of the breather tube on the outside of the case?
Where ever it is and if these are failing is there a Yamaha Service Bullentin on this issue or any other 06 issue for that matter?
Does anyone have a connection to the Yamaha Service Bulletins?

Kelster or anyone how was this fixed permanently? I am not liking the idea of epoxy or JB Weld........

OK...if you look on your bike, on the leftside engine side cover, at the rear of it, behind the outlet of the rubber breather tube, there is a "pipe" cast into the sidecover itself.

To make it easier to identify, try to look at it from the rear of the bike. From this angle, you will see the shiney, metal plug in the painted sidecover "pipe" thingy. This is the plug that falls out and causes the bike to pump out its own oil.

Dave

• gholt651

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:51 AM

O.K. I have about 8 hours on mine. Has anyone had this plug start leaking with hours on the bike or is it a ( it will or it won't thing? ). Would it be enough to hold it if I put some clear silicone over the plug?

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:13 AM

You need to stake these plugs in place as a precautionary measure, and there are more than one in the cover. One is at the lower rear corner of the cover, facing rearward at the end of the cast in oil passage. The other is facing straight down, near the bottom of the cover roughly below the oil filler cap.

To "stake" them, use a center punch, a 1/8-1/4" pin punch, a cold chisel, or even a screwdriver blade. The idea is to place a set of two or three punch marks around the edge of the hole the plug is pushed into in such a way that the metal around the punch marks deforms to the point of pushing the edge of the hole inward, so that the hole is now no longer round, and is physically too small for the plug to get out of.

Should have been done in the first place, IMO, although if the plugs were fit tightly enough, it wouldn't have been necessary. Smearing silicon over the plugs will do nothing but make your bike ugly.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.