XR 650R Radiator Cap Question

4 replies to this topic
  • kirk garber

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Ok, I know there has been a million questions about the XR 650R overheating but my question is about the higher pressure radiator caps ( 1.6 and 1.8 psi). Has anyone out there had any problems with their bikes as a result of using these higher pressure caps?

• snaggleXR650

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Not that I've ever heard of. I've got the stock cap on mine, and I've never had an overheating problem. A properly uncorked and rejetted bike shouldn't have much trouble with overheating. The other possibility is the thermostat going bad, but I think it usually goes bad open rather than closed luckily.

All the cap does is raise the boiling point, which allows your motor to run hotter before the water boils. It doesn't really solve the problem. There are many people that install 120mm computer fans on one or both of the radiators. Put a switch on your handlebars and flip it on during slow going. A much better solution to the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted February 19, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I replaced my stock cap with a high pressure one as soon as I got my bike in 2003. I also still run the stock thermostat. My bike has never boiled over or had any cooling problems whatsoever, not even in 100+ degree weather.

• hayesjo

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:20 AM

The big problem with overheating is on the tight trails where you can not get a lot of speed. Since I uncorked my bike, installed the SRC 1.6 radiator cap, and wrapped the header in ceramic fiber I have not had a problem. I got the ceramic fiber fro SRC also

• brian jacquemin

Posted February 21, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I use the 1.8 radiator cap and I run Evans coolant that contains no water. I've run real tight trails and monster sand hills and so far I have been fine. Go online and google Evans (npg+) coolant to find a distributor near you. It is well worth the money. You will need to drain the old coolant completely out and never use any other coolant product with the Evans coolant especially water.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.