03 YZF450 Hesitating wide open

7 replies to this topic
  • RacerDad

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:58 PM

03 YZF450 hesitating under power while wide open. It just started doing this. Seems to run fine in 1-3 gears in most track stuff, but in 4th gear, nearing wide open on last couple of GP races it has a scary hesitation. Feels like it's jumping teeth on the spocket (which it's not) just to give you some sense of how it feels.
Quick History: Oil changes every 3rd ride/race. Air filter every ride/race. Never touched the carb, never checked the valves. Bike starts 1st kick after sitting every week. Just changed the plug today & thats not it. The bike is ridden/raced at least 3-4 times per month. I bought it new in June of 2003.
Please give your thoughts.
Hey greyracer513, looking for your thoughts on this one.

• kid on a 426

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:59 PM

maybe clutch

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:52 PM

It sounds like jumping in and out of 4th gear due to worn gear dogs. Not common on a 450, but possible, nevertheless.

• 642MX

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:26 PM

It sounds like jumping in and out of 4th gear due to worn gear dogs. Not common on a 450, but possible, nevertheless.

Thats what I was thinking.

Time to open her up and see whats broke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 19, 2006 - 06:51 AM

I also would consider a new top end (if never done)w/ cam chain and CCT replacement, a valve check and a complete carb cleaning..........racing/riding 3-4times a month since june 2003.........it is definitely time

• RacerDad

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:59 PM

Thats exactly what it was. Took it to Pro-Tec http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/
They replaced 1-4 gears while they were in there, new piston & rings, adjusted the valves (he said they were almost still adjusted fine) went through the carb. Picked it up on Friday, raced it on Sunday at Glen Helen in Big 6 GP. Bike ran very strong. And I'm very happy with Pro-Tec. (my first time there, I was refered by 2 friends). :thumbsup:

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:20 AM

now you have to change your oil more often. Every ride.

• jimmyg

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:23 PM

i would say bent shift fork it happend to me the same way.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.