oil in bottom of airbox... what's up with that??

5 replies to this topic
  • jorg3

Posted September 22, 2001 - 08:57 PM

I just took out my air filter and to my suprise discoverd an oily substance in the bottom of the air box. It was wasn't real runny like oil. I appeared to be oil or maybe they guy who I bought it from did not squeeze out the filter oil. It did have a tacky/oily feel to it. Can anyone help??

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 23, 2001 - 12:25 AM

I'd wager a weeks pay (heaven forbid not mine though! :) ) it IS from the air filter.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Pooley

Posted September 23, 2001 - 08:17 AM

Cant say that this is exactly the same but I experience this on my Honda Magna street bike.
I like to run high RPMs and flirt with the rev limiter on a regular basis. This will cause a little of the engine oil to wind up in the air filter housing.
This has been discussed to death on the Magna sites and no one has had a problem. If you do like to rev out it may the the source of oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted September 23, 2001 - 09:20 PM

pull the airfilter out and look/feel in the front anti-chamber. does it have a lot of oil in here?

what texture and colour?

i hopoe i'm wrong.

Taffy

• cueball

Posted September 25, 2001 - 07:22 AM

I have the same problem, but I know why on my bike....

I've re-routed my vent line to the airbox, so I end up with a bit of a mess in there. Better that than sucking in water though....

Randy

• jorg3

Posted September 27, 2001 - 07:02 PM

Cueball, when you rerouted your vent line did you have to poke a hole through the air box? If so, at what part of the air box is the whole? thanks, Randy

Originally posted by cueball:
I have the same problem, but I know why on my bike....

I've re-routed my vent line to the airbox, so I end up with a bit of a mess in there. Better that than sucking in water though....

Randy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.