What oil to use??

38 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:44 PM

I wish the top and bottom were seperate like the Honda's, then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

• WildRide

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:07 PM

But one thing I can guarantee is you will be getting more wear in your engine than someone who is using a synthetic or semi synthetic. Oh, and throw the clutch plates in on the equation.

So what you are saying is that my 750cc 90HP Interceptor (BTW more hp/liter than my WR) w/+74,000miles, should have worn out a long time ago and I am just dreaming that it still runs perfect DESPITE using good quality dino auto motor oil? Pleeeease deal with the fact that expensive snake oil buys you a couple of percent at best of wear reduction over frequent changes dino oil. Maybe if I would have used snake oil in my Interceptor it might last me 52 years rather than 49 years. I realize dino oil breaks down quicker than syn oil but my oil is not in there long enough to be of any real world difference. And besides it is not "cool" to admit you use "ordinary" oil.

• clark4131

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:34 PM

And besides it is not "cool" to admit you use "ordinary" oil.

Dude, relax. Your stock options in Quaker State or Pennzoil are going to be just fine. I use Amsoil because I have a dealer account and I've seen the results from multiple oil analyses after 12,000 miles without an oil change in my cars. That's what sold me. My self-esteem is not wrapped up in my choice of automotive fluids. I think on a more global scale than that...SC

• WildRide

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Dude, relax. Your stock options in Quaker State or Pennzoil are going to be just fine. I use Amsoil because I have a dealer account and I've seen the results from multiple oil analyses after 12,000 miles without an oil change in my cars. That's what sold me. My self-esteem is not wrapped up in my choice of automotive fluids. I think on a more global scale than that...SC

I'm chilled, I use Amsoil gear lube in all my cars gearbox and differential or any other stuff I don't change often or at all, but when I change oil every ~100 to 200 miles in my Wr and 6 other off road machines in the "family", Valvoline it is from now on, the exception is, at least for now is my lovely ST which get treated with Rotella, and it comes in gallon jugs which just so happens is what the ST requires. Pennzoil is garbage as are Fram filters, both are living on their reputation from the past and are now producing high profit/low quality crap.

• nqglen

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:59 AM

So what you are saying is that my 750cc 90HP Interceptor (BTW more hp/liter than my WR) w/+74,000miles, should have worn out a long time ago and I am just dreaming that it still runs perfect DESPITE using good quality dino auto motor oil? Pleeeease deal with the fact that expensive snake oil buys you a couple of percent at best of wear reduction over frequent changes dino oil. Maybe if I would have used snake oil in my Interceptor it might last me 52 years rather than 49 years. I realize dino oil breaks down quicker than syn oil but my oil is not in there long enough to be of any real world difference. And besides it is not "cool" to admit you use "ordinary" oil.

At no stage did I say that your Interceptor should have worn out a long time ago. And if you haven't had a problem with your oil by now you are likely not to. The thing about a debate like this is that it will be nearly impossible to find out who is right and who is, if anyone, wrong. But when you or I are on a WR going hard at high temps and the bike is running at 10,000 RPM under high load, I reckon I know which oil will fail first. I personally have seen the results of premium motor oil failing in a high performance engine and this is why I use the higher performance designer oil. The problem is if your oil fails it Will not fail until the engine is under big loads at high revs and the results ain't pretty. Thanks for coming but I will stick to what you call the snake oil.

• cosmic_hippo

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Ok, my first oil change was a success. Thanks for the advice on the thread!

One other question though -- I did check the "Oil Screen" that is the insert in the frame oil tank. The screen was perfectly clean -- and it doesn't seem like I would need to check this screen on every oil change, maybe every other or every third?

How often does that screen really need to be cleaned?

Thanks again -- awesome info here!

~matt

• Branbone

Posted October 19, 2007 - 10:01 PM

nqglen,
What is sulphadyoxide?

• Branbone

Posted October 19, 2007 - 10:23 PM

After reading this entire thread, I realized none of the posts are addressed to an individual. I may have broken a rule (sorry). The above question is for all.
Brandon

• Mutu

Posted October 20, 2007 - 11:07 AM

What is the fascination with you guys using car oils in your bikes?
I thought oil was cheap over there? :crazy:

There is no way in hell that I would run a car oil in my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted October 20, 2007 - 11:08 AM

After reading this entire thread, I realized none of the posts are addressed to an individual. I may have broken a rule (sorry). The above question is for all.
Brandon

No rule broken! :crazy:

• Mutu

Posted October 20, 2007 - 11:15 AM

nqglen,
What is sulphadyoxide?

Diesel can contain a lot of sulfur. When it is burnt, it forms sulfur dioxide (SO2).

• 642MX

Posted October 21, 2007 - 03:38 PM

What is the fascination with you guys using car oils in your bikes?
I thought oil was cheap over there? :D

There is no way in hell that I would run a car oil in my bike.

No fascination. Car oil is fine for bikes, just as long as its not an ECII oil. And nothing is cheap over here....:crazy:

• Mutu

Posted October 21, 2007 - 04:42 PM

And nothing is cheap over here....:crazy:

Bet ya you don't pay $100 for 4 litres of synth over there! :D

• 642MX

Posted October 21, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Bet ya you don't pay $100 for 4 litres of synth over there! :crazy:

Wow, that is high. A gallon of Rotella costs about $9.00 here.

• Mutu

Posted October 21, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Wow, that is high. A gallon of Rotella costs about $9.00 here.

Hahaha, as I said, cheap! :crazy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 21, 2007 - 10:36 PM

Bet ya you don't pay $100 for 4 litres of synth over there! :crazy:

4 liters of Maxima 15w-50 full synth is around $40-$45. Are you sure the exchange rates you're using are correct. I find it very hard to believe that Aussies are paying double of what we're paying.

• Mutu

Posted October 22, 2007 - 12:35 AM

4 liters of Maxima 15w-50 full synth is around $40-$45. Are you sure the exchange rates you're using are correct. I find it very hard to believe that Aussies are paying double of what we're paying.

$1 of ours = 90c of yours.
When I said $100, that is our money, but it's close. :crazy:
Here's a few oil prices over here:
http://www.mcas.com....gory=329&line=0

You can see why we buy all our parts from :D

• jpryce

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:49 AM

One other question though -- I did check the "Oil Screen" that is the insert in the frame oil tank. The screen was perfectly clean -- and it doesn't seem like I would need to check this screen on every oil change, maybe every other or every third?

How often does that screen really need to be cleaned?

I have checked my screen at least 10 times now, and it has been spotless each time. BTW - using Motul 300V for the last 4 years with no issues.

• tmckeown

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:09 AM

I use Shell

Timo McKeown

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.