Need help--subframe

2 replies to this topic
  • bcs

Posted February 18, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Just finished all of the mods as per the Yamaha AIS removal kit. I followed the directions in the kit, which tell you to remove the 3 subframe bolts and move the subframe back a bit. I don't think this was really necessary 'cause the airbox boot is pretty soft and flexible. That will teach me to follow directions. :thumbsup:

Anyway, now I'm trying to put everything back together and I can't get the hole lined up at the top of the subframe. I've checked carefully for interference and frankly, the spacing between the two arms of the subframe is just a bit to tight to slide over the frame.

I understand there should be a close tolerance here but this is ridiculous. What's the trick?? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • old man dan

Posted February 18, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Put the two lower bolts in loosely and then pivot the subframe into place. You may have to spread the top rails a bit to make it slide into place.

• bcs

Posted February 18, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Dan, thank you for the reply. I was trying it with the bottom bolts in very loose. Any suggestion on how to spread the top a bit?

UPDATE--PROBLEM SOLVED:
The real problem was keeping the hole lined up and getting a good grip on the subframe to pull it up into place.

Solution: I tied a piece of rope around the top rear of the subframe to make a handle. Line up the holes with the one hand and a gave good pull up on the subframe with the other...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.