Cleaning the cases

7 replies to this topic
  • FOUR STOKED

Posted February 18, 2006 - 02:41 PM

How do you fellas brighten up the weathered aluminum on the engine cases when they start looking weathered. My L is over 12 years old and still runs good but the motor does not look that great theses days. Does the old mag cleaner acid work. How about water and Ajax with a brush? I know a lot of you guys on here have some really clean older bikes that look great so how about some advice? :thumbsup: :bonk: Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• Maddox101

Posted February 18, 2006 - 02:51 PM

I use oven cleaner.

• goblin127

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:49 PM

What ever you clean it with make sure the motor is cold.

• thummaster

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:17 PM

Take em off and have them powder coated.....they even have an OEM honda color....lasts a long time. Cost about $100 for the pair of sidecovers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FOUR STOKED

Posted February 18, 2006 - 11:33 PM

Powder coating and oven cleaner for the bare aluminum areas are some ideas that I have not considered. Thanks :thumbsup:

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 19, 2006 - 12:02 AM

Take em off and have them powder coated.....they even have an OEM honda color....lasts a long time. Cost about $100 for the pair of sidecovers.

DAAAAAAAAAAMN... you need to find a new powder coater... $100 for a couple covers... You got ripped... LOL

• bork

Posted February 19, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Be carefull of oven cleaner, as some of them are caustic and can etch surface and make alum oxidize faster and looking nastier than when you started. Might want to test on something simalar first and then let it sit for a couple of days after & recheck finish. (maybe old casea from bone yard?) Good luck

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I used to work for a farm store that did alot of feed delivery and crop spraying. The boxes on the feed trucks and the tanks on the spray trucks where aluminum. they kept them shiney by spraying them down with what i believe was a diluted acid of some sort 2-3 times per year.

They never scrubbed them, they just pressure washed them, then sprayed them down with whatever that mixture was, and left them set a few hours, and hosed them off with fresh water.

Does anyone know what that stuff was? it seemed to work very well. The trucks where driven year round and sometime looked quite grayed out, but that stuff shined them right up and seemed to last at least a little while anyway.

It seems to me that it would have to degrade the Aluminum over time. The only way to shine a metal is to remove a very thin layer of corroded metal and whatever portion was pitted to bring it to an even level (where it would be shiney) again. Using something like an acid, on the edges of gaskets, plastics, and rubber cable boots and such might not be such a good idea though....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.