A Few modification Questions.

2 replies to this topic
  • reedMX450F

Posted February 18, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Whats up guys, i have a few questions.... First off, What is the stock size of the rear sprocket on the 2005 Yamaha YZ450? and is this the size to stay with or will going down/up a tooth give me better performance. Im looking for a little bit smoother power but not something that will take the UNF away in the bike(also what brand sprocket is recomended around here?). Second question is for those of you who have pro-tapers, what bend are you using? on my 426 i had some tag metal T2's - CR-hi bend but i felt the bar was a little wide compared to some renthals i had ran before. So im looking for a hi bend thats not extremely wide, more so anything that will just give me a comfortable ride though(so doesnt HAVE to be a hi-bend bar). And my last question is, Can my bike be altered into having the 06 5speed transmision? if so what kind of work would i be looking at? Thanks for the help guys, you all rock :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2006 - 03:00 PM

Can my bike be altered into having the 06 5speed transmision? if so what kind of work would i be looking at? Thanks for the help guys, you all rock :thumbsup:

It appears doubtful that it could be. The complete gear set is .120" wider than the 4 speed, and the cases will not close. At this point, it's not clear if there is any practical way to install it. It is possible to install the YZ426 5 speed, but not without a considerable amount of machine work and hassle.

However, the '03/'05 WR450 5 speed will drop directly into your bike, an makes a great desert mod.

Here's the list of what you'll need:

http://www.thumperta...046#post2761046

• Butta

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:19 PM

Whats up guys, i have a few questions.... First off, What is the stock size of the rear sprocket on the 2005 Yamaha YZ450? and is this the size to stay with or will going down/up a tooth give me better performance. Im looking for a little bit smoother power but not something that will take the UNF away in the bike(also what brand sprocket is recomended around here?).

Stock rear sprocket on an '05 is 51 teeth. I dropped to a 48 because of the new low end I found with an FMF pipe, but after 30 hours I moved back up to a 49 (haven't ridden it yet, tho'). I used 3rd mostly around the track, rarely ever having to downshift, and only began upshifting into 4th to clear an 80' table. I have found the power sufficient and smooth, but I'm moving toward 4th now so I figure I'd add a tooth and see if I can carry 3rd/4th and not have to dip into 2nd. As for brand, well, you'll get plenty of opinions here. I had an alum Renthal 48 and now have a Sunstar steel 49. The alum just didn't hold up as well as I thought it should have (and I went with a Regina O ring instead of a Renthal R1 roller like I had on there before).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.