XR600r Carb Repair question

12 replies to this topic
  • gdaddy05

Posted February 17, 2006 - 06:12 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix the factory deffect, that I was told XR600rs have, that could damage the engine if not fixed. I was told I need to fix the choke plate, but I am not sure how to go about this or where to get the new parts if required......Help would be much appreciated!!!!!

• billg

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:04 PM

You should really consider Edelbrock carbs for this bike. It really makes a huge difference in performance. I bought 2 xr 600's (2000), which is the last year they made this bike, and have really put the edelbrock to the test by keeping 1 bike stock and the other with the edeldrock. I went back and forth, one after the other, and there is a huge difference in throttle response. The bike may have more power, but without the dyno, it's hard to give numbers. Many claim 4-8 extra horses, but I am a show me the proof kind of guy. I just sold 1 of my bikes, the one with the edelbrock. I have a brand new card from Barnum's racing still in the box for an xr 600, with throttle cables if you are interested. It's 400.00 bucks, my cost. Also, I kept my other bike, 2000 xr 600 which is for sale in the classified her on thumper talk. I kept it completely stock because it is truly a museum piece. It is in brand new condition, literally. I can't seem to figure out why no one has made me a reasonable offer. I see bikes like 94-77s go for 2200-2900 all the time. For 3500.00, they get a brand new motorcycle. Anyway, if you have any questions about the carbs, give me a call 203-536-4720, I'm in Connecticut. Best of luck, Bill

• billg

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:06 PM

I mean to say I see bikes from the year 1994-1997 go for blah blah blah

• HawkGT

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:45 PM

On my XR650R carb, I just removed the little flapper on the choke plate.

• gdaddy05

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:11 PM

is the flapper on the inside,or outside?

• gdaddy05

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:18 PM

I heard that edlbrock have no choke, and are harder to start in cold weather, and I live in Wyoming-brrrr. Is there any truth to this? that you know of....It sounds like you have a really nice 2000, It's too bad that I allready bought mine, or I would jump on it. If I bought another bike my wife would kill me...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted February 18, 2006 - 01:47 PM

The problem is with the choke plate. It has a little spring loaded flap for backfire protection. I just took my bike apart for some engine work. On my bike, the flap was just about to break off and get sucked into the engine. The rest or the choke plate also has a big fatigue crack in it too. I'm just going to remove it completely and see how it goes.

While I'm in southern California, it's still winter and it's often in the 40's where I will be riding. I'll keep a can of starting fluid handy. It's been my experience that my bike floods when I crash and it's on it's side. I think that my starting ritual will include laying the bike down for a moment when it's cold. If this turns out to be too much of a pain in the rear, there is an aftermarket choke plate available. I know XR's Only has it, but I'm too cheap to pay $25 + shipping for a small aluminum plate!

People on TT have had issues with XR's Only (not me though) , and I think the plate is available elsewhere.

• HawkGT

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:20 PM

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with the choke being any less functional with the plate thingy removed. With a correct pilot jet and starting procedure I don't think it should be a problem. With a little priming I can usually get my bike to start without using the choke. I even know a guy that runs (one of) his 650R with no choke at all--choke is completely removed from the carb.

Coldest air temp. I've started my bike in was about 40-45 degrees. Couldn't say if it'd be tougher under colder conditions.

• gdaddy05

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Thanks to all who have replied to this question, I at least have some options now........

• bork

Posted February 19, 2006 - 11:14 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix the factory deffect, that I was told XR600rs have, that could damage the engine if not fixed. I was told I need to fix the choke plate, but I am not sure how to go about this or where to get the new parts if required......Help would be much appreciated!!!!!

Do a search in 600's . I found some in title only & i'm sure a ton will come back in "any where in post" good luck & you might try a google search under "billet 600 choke plate" Good luck
PS I'll try to get my bud to chime in, he just did his not long ago.

• LVThumper

Posted February 19, 2006 - 03:22 PM

Check this thread. It might help. I waited too long to change out the stock choke plate and paid the price!! :thumbsup: Now I have a flat side Mikuni and I am a lot happier! :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...55&parentpage=2

• gnfreak

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:36 PM

i changed my choke plate out (98 xr600) last fall and i made it harder to start. just took it apart again a couple of days ago and touched the edges up with a dremel tool to get it to fit right. bike hadn't been started since last november and it started up on the 4th try. 30 bucks for a piece of aluminum ( bought it from Precision Concepts) sucks but consider the alternative....

• gdaddy05

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Do a search in 600's . I found some in title only & i'm sure a ton will come back in "any where in post" good luck & you might try a google search under "billet 600 choke plate" Good luck
PS I'll try to get my bud to chime in, he just did his not long ago.

Thank you VERY much for your wonderfull advice and time. I have located and ordered a billet choke plate, from XRs Only for 24.99, and am now at ease about this problem, which will soon no longer be for me, thanks to all of your input...When I can afford it I will purchase an edelbrock, for hopefully even better throttle response,etc... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.