Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted August 17, 2006 - 04:02 AM

Who needs to sign the VIN verifacation form? My Boss'es wife is a 911 opperator and she has a badge and stuff... would that work? That would make this so much easier!

From what I've read it can be signed by AAA, the DMV, or any law enforcement officer.

• byggd

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:10 AM

My BD key switch arrived yesterday so I installed it last night. The instructions that come with it are for a BD kit but it's pretty universal and can be used on any kit. It basically just taps into the kill switch wires, when it's off it makes a connection (like holding the kill switch down). The recommend using one of the front bolts that clamp the handlebars down but I have a scotts set up and the bolts are recessed. I have applies triples and they came with a threaded mount (not sure what it's for) and it made a perfect place to mount the switch. Over all I'm very happy with the BD kit :thumbsup: Here are a couple pictures if anyone is interested. The one from the back I should have shot from a different angle but you get the idea.
http://s18.photobuck...mgAnch=imgAnch3
http://s18.photobuck...mgAnch=imgAnch2
http://s18.photobuck...mgAnch=imgAnch1

• chivobones

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Cool, thanks for the pics. I really gotta look at that placement of the key... I have my GPS and other stuff to worry about. I am hoping that kit ties into the stock kill switch since I eneded up using that for some reason. I still need to get mirrors and DOT tires... just started my vacation so a trip to Chaparral is coming soon.

• byggd

Posted August 19, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Cool, thanks for the pics. I really gotta look at that placement of the key... I have my GPS and other stuff to worry about. I am hoping that kit ties into the stock kill switch since I eneded up using that for some reason. I still need to get mirrors and DOT tires... just started my vacation so a trip to Chaparral is coming soon.

I kept my stock kill switch as well because it's a quick install kit and if I pull it off to ride desert I will be removing the kit kill switch and would have to stall it with the decompression lever or clutch, neither if which I have with the auto decompress cam and rekluse. Plus I didn't feel comfortable not having a kill switch next to my thumb in case of emergency. I just removed a small section of wire cover from the kill sw wire and tapped it in (it comes with two wire taps). I saw another thread where a guy mounted a key sw using one of the bolts that clamp the upper tripple to the right fork. It looked pretty clean so if I add an Trailtech meter I will probably move mine there.

• coffee

Posted August 19, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Thanks! My first step is to get my M class. I road street in my 30s but never bothered to get one. Back then it was a slap on the wrest but now I hear it's mandatory impound :ride: Then comes insurance with theft. Also I just ordered a key switch from BD but would like more security. I read another thread with a link to a lock/alarm that goes on the brake disk. Any advise??? :thumbsup:

Any links to this info? Is that what the police told you?

Thanks for the BD key info, did not know about that.

BTW - you may want to click here, just thought you might want to know.

• byggd

Posted August 19, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Any links to this info? Is that what the police told you?

Thanks for the BD key info, did not know about that.

BTW - you may want to click here, just thought you might want to know.

It was on a poster at the DMV, it just basically said get your class M or it's a mandatory tow.
Oh......... and that was a VERY depressing link :thumbsup: :ride:

• coffee

Posted August 20, 2006 - 07:45 AM

Yes a very depressing link, sorry. Just thought you might like to know. I am affected too.

I PMed a LEO about the endorsement after I saw your post. Seems driving with no license is a misdemeanor and no endorsement is an infraction. I believe that means the bike won't get towed but what do I know? Always best to do the right thing to begin with I suppose.

Edit - Permits are good for 1 year as I recall.

• byggd

Posted August 21, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Maybe it's up to the LEO depending on if you give attitude. But you're right, best not chance it and do what's right. I have an appt today to take my written. With it I can ride just not at night, no passengers and no freeway.

• chivobones

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:44 AM

So is that just a scare to get the M class license? I've been on vacation in Arizona and thought, oh well, I can always be dual sport there...
If we can keep them dual sport, then all the better.
Good Luck on that written exam by byggd.

• byggd

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Well I passed and I have insurance now. I got full coverage for $261 a year. The test is pretty easy but I do recommend reading the book first and the permit is good for a year :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:04 AM

Now you have a year to do the driving test. It is kind of a joke. They looked over my bike (ten seconds did not have a clue other than the lights) then they said ride down this line make two full circles stay within the lines and return here that was it. I never fully got the clutch out (should be really easy for you) Listen carfully to the DMV instructor he may give you funny directions then he sends you inside for more paperwork (they do love their paperwork) and then your new licence will come in the mail in less than two weeks.
Congratulations.

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Now you have a year to do the driving test. It is kind of a joke. They looked over my bike (ten seconds did not have a clue other than the lights) then they said ride down this line make two full circles stay within the lines and return here that was it. Congratulations.

You got off easy. They made me do a slalom though some cones then exit into the circles and back through the cones again. Then repeat from the reverse direction. Also a 50' straight line test slowly between to lines about 18" apart. I've been riding 30 years and although I passed it was not a cake walk.

• GCannon

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I felt like I got off easy too. How would you do that on a custom Chopper?

• babyspankynhb

Posted September 09, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Well guys,

I got my light cert. done a few days ago at Mission Motorsports. I talked to John and it was a breeze. $15/bike and a hand shake then we were done. I went to AAA in Huntington Beach yesterday. The guy I talked to told me he didn't know how to do a Verification Of Vehicle for a motorcycle so he went and got someone else. That guy again told me that they were not trained or authorized to do verification of a motorcycle. I tried to explain that all they need to do is verfiy that the VIN and engine numbers matched the paperwork, but he just told me to go to the CHP or DMV. The guy was kinda a dick too... I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to do the rest.

On the REG124 form, what should I put for "REASONS FOR REQUEST FOR ASSIGNED NUMBER"?

• speedracr_96

Posted September 27, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I started paperwork on my KTM 250 didnt need the light cert just signed the statement of facts saying "All lights and Brakes are present and in working order" and i got through, all i need now is the vin verification which i will get 3A to do. I printed out all the info from the dmv website. they said i had the #3 in the 8th digit and that was a no go so i gave the lady the form from their website saying the 3 or c applies only to 03 and newer bikes.She went to the back for like 15 mins and came back with my temp sticker (ghetto tag)
and said get the verification and your done. It went easier than i thought.

• rasta

Posted September 27, 2006 - 10:25 PM

I started paperwork on my KTM 250 didnt need the light cert just signed the statement of facts saying "All lights and Brakes are present and in working order" and i got through, all i need now is the vin verification which i will get 3A to do. I printed out all the info from the dmv website. they said i had the #3 in the 8th digit and that was a no go so i gave the lady the form from their website saying the 3 or c applies only to 03 and newer bikes.She went to the back for like 15 mins and came back with my temp sticker (ghetto tag)
and said get the verification and your done. It went easier than i thought.

where did you find the form that says 3 or a c applies to 03 and newer bikes? i cant find it on their web site

• mxriderz_76

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:26 AM

go to WWW.fourstrokesonly.COM they have all the forms and dmv pubs. pertaining to ohv to on-highway conversions :thumbsup:

• speedracr_96

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:01 PM

here it is fourstrokesonly has all the forms worded correctly to ease the process. take all the papers with you including the paper from the linked site when the look stupid at you show them the form that says only 03 and newer apply to the 3, c crap. hope this helps, where in cali r u from?
http://www.dmv.ca.go...Conversions.pdf

• Rooster426

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I havn't taken the time to follow this whole thread, but I'll just chime in anyways. My cousin just plated his 01 Wr426 out of Nevada City CA....so it's still happening everywhere. Hope to see some of you street legal guys out at the Reno/Boomtown 200 this weekend!!!

• rasta

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:58 PM

here it is fourstrokesonly has all the forms worded correctly to ease the process. take all the papers with you including the paper from the linked site when the look stupid at you show them the form that says only 03 and newer apply to the 3, c crap. hope this helps, where in cali r u from?
http://www.dmv.ca.go...Conversions.pdf

im in bay area, already have a 02 mxc 520 thats plated, but would much rather be on my 02 yz 426.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.