Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • gdm

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:54 PM

OK this is getting frustrating. I just called Malcolm Smith and was informed the person who did their lighting check and VIN verification no longer works there. So I called Corona Yamaha and one person told me they do the lighting for $80 but not the VIN and then I was transferred and was told they do neither. Then I called Corona motor sports and the guys said “sure bud bring it in and we can check out your lights for you” so I explained what I needed done and he didn’t have a clue. Anyone have an idea who I can use for the lighting check in the Corona/Riverside/Lake Ellsinore area?? I’ll call my local AAA and see if the do the VIN.

Go to Mission Motor Sports in Irvine, (949)265-7521, ask for John. I had mine done there, cost $15.00.

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2006 - 04:50 AM

You can never find a cop when you need one! Try the local donut shop. (I could not resist that one) Maybe your kids soccer coach is a law enforcement officer. You heard about my DMV VIN Verification they noted my Canadian emission sticker which had the correct VIN but no federal emission status which you would probably prefer to omit at this point. Good luck we will try and keep the jokes coming. :thumbsup:

Funny thing is there is a It's a Grind coffee shop around the corner and I see a couple LEO there most every morning so I have thought of camping out there :cry: sometimes even a bike cop which may even be better!

OK so what is wrong with AAA doing the the entire transaction? Is all you have left is the VIN verification and then pay the fees for the plate? Maybe I am confused because when I got my bike in May, AAA in Riverside told me they didn't handle motorcycles transactions. So maybe it's another case of 'different person, different answer?' If all you need to do is pay the fees, maybe you'll get lucky like me and get a $25.00 refund from DMV for overpaying the Green Sticker...

AAA can't do off road registration. As soon as she saw the "off road" on my pink it was over. I have the "emissions" sticker on the front of the frame so maybe if I have it done at the dmv I'll get lucky?? :ride:

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2006 - 04:54 AM

Go to Mission Motor Sports in Irvine, (949)265-7521, ask for John. I had mine done there, cost $15.00.

Did he do the lighting or the VIN verification? I have the lighting done so if he can do the VIN cert I'll take the drive! I have one last lead here in Corona, a local shop has a woman who comes in twice a week who can do the VIN cert so hopefully I will get call back on Friday.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 27, 2006 - 05:22 AM

The lighting inspection can be done by any authorized shop but the VIN inspection has to be done by the DMV or CHP (or peace officer). The DMV will not accept a VIN inspection done by anyone else.

• imdickie

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:41 AM

The lighting inspection can be done by any authorized shop but the VIN inspection has to be done by the DMV or CHP (or peace officer). The DMV will not accept a VIN inspection done by anyone else.

You can also use AAA. There is a check box right on the cert form for AAA. That is where I had mine done and it went through fine.

• gdm

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:32 PM

You can also use AAA. There is a check box right on the cert form for AAA. That is where I had mine done and it went through fine.

I also had mine done at the AAA, form REG 343. Form REG 124, which the DMV gave me, is another VIN inspection form that must be completed by the CHP. I went to the Santa Ana CHP and had this form filled out there. Make sure all your paper work is complete including the light inspection. Officer Smith who does the inspection is pretty laid back and rides a WR 400 himself! It was much easier than I expected.

• byggd

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:16 AM

So many people have used AAA, I wonder why the two I've tried in my area and being so stubborn :thumbsup: Maybe I'll try the Corona police this weekend.

• byggd

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:53 PM

I'm applying for dual registration and after getting all my forms filled out the guy who did my lighting cert said "all they care about is this stamp, you could have one made up". So I started wondering, what does the DMV do to make sure the forms aren't fake? Do they send them to the police department, AAA, shop etc to make sure?? Anyone out there work at or have a spouse that works at the DMV??

• chivobones

Posted August 10, 2006 - 06:29 PM

byggd, what is left for you to get you dual-sporting?

• byggd

Posted August 10, 2006 - 07:06 PM

byggd, what is left for you to get you dual-sporting?

The VIN verification. I had a Corona LEO do it and he checked "none" and wrote "sound emissions only" for the emissions :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted August 11, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Are you nervious about that? Your options are to continue to get VIN verifications until you are satisfied. The other alternative is to strap on the big ones and go down to the DMV with what you have. At some point you have to do that anyway.

• byggd

Posted August 11, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Yeah that makes me a bit nervous. From what I've read the emissions box is the most critical. If he had at least marked federal emissions strapping on big ones my not be needed.

• GCannon

Posted August 11, 2006 - 12:58 PM

I agree my canadian bike had a canadian vin sticker and the DMV lady wrote "No Federal Emission Sticker VIN verified" that made me nervious. You may need to be more carful since the deadline has passed. You should download more forms and get more VIN verifications until you get a good one. (what a hassle) Good Luck!

• GCannon

Posted August 11, 2006 - 01:03 PM

That emission information box may be the key since the DMV is seeing more 05 and 06 bikes converting registration now. Once you get passed your local DMV(leave with a new Plate) you still have to get through Sacramento to get your annual renewal and pink slip ( or you did all this work for one year)

• byggd

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Anyone know where to buy a customized license plate frame? I need one now that I have a plate!! :thumbsup: :ride: :applause: I figured it should be framed after all the paperwork and stress I went through to get it :applause:

• GCannon

Posted August 15, 2006 - 01:08 PM

May I be the first to congratulate you! On your new License Plate. Your the Man :ride:

I guess I should put my bike back together since a celebratory ride to Santiago peak may be in order :thumbsup:

Enjoy, let us know of your first dual sport adventure. :applause:

• byggd

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Thanks! My first step is to get my M class. I road street in my 30s but never bothered to get one. Back then it was a slap on the wrest but now I hear it's mandatory impound :ride: Then comes insurance with theft. Also I just ordered a key switch from BD but would like more security. I read another thread with a link to a lock/alarm that goes on the brake disk. Any advise??? :thumbsup:

• chivobones

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:31 PM

:thumbsup: Congrats on the plate!!! What a pain, but it is so worth it, right?!?! I just used the Baja Designs plate frame, but was thinking the same thing...what an accomplishment. Oh, yeah, I am also looking at the BD key...seems cheap enough and can be bought at the TT store.

• babyspankynhb

Posted August 16, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Who needs to sign the VIN verifacation form? My Boss'es wife is a 911 opperator and she has a badge and stuff... would that work? That would make this so much easier!

• byggd

Posted August 17, 2006 - 04:01 AM

:thumbsup: Congrats on the plate!!! What a pain, but it is so worth it, right?!?! I just used the Baja Designs plate frame, but was thinking the same thing...what an accomplishment. Oh, yeah, I am also looking at the BD key...seems cheap enough and can be bought at the TT store.

Thanks!! Worth it?....YOU BET! :ride: I got notice from the TT store that my key switch shipped. I'll let you know how it looks in the next day or so.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.