Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted July 01, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Congrats!! that's awesome :ride: I've got to try to plate my bike now that I hear it can be done. Chivo....what DMV did you say you used again?

• chivobones

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:15 AM

byggd: I went to the Riverside DMV at 6280 Brockton Ave., behind the Riverside Plaza.

• byggd

Posted July 02, 2006 - 03:06 PM

byggd: I went to the Riverside DMV at 6280 Brockton Ave., behind the Riverside Plaza.

Thanks, thats good to know. I'm in Corona so I ususlly go to Norco DMV but it may be worth the drive.

• byggd

Posted July 06, 2006 - 01:39 PM

There are two parts to dual sporting a bike in California.

The first part - The light inspection, which is filled out on a Statement of Facts form that states your bike meets all the requirements to be street legal

I'm looking at the statement of facts I printed off of the DMV site and I don't see any place this form is used for the light inspection :ride: Do I just fill out sections E, G and H?? Does the shop supply the light inspection form?
I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and make this a one stop trip to the DMV.

• GCannon

Posted July 06, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Byggd Good luck. you probably remember me stressing over my paperwork I hope this goes well for you. I don't understand everyone bad mouthing the Baja Designs kit with carefully installation mine has served me well and the BD customer service people were great and knowledgeable as well. I would get the low profile blinkers if I was doing it again but I was worried about passing the light inspection at the time (which turned out to be no problem). I do not understand everyone saying that the BD kit requires a stater mod Mine seems to run perfectly with minimal dimming at low RPM (2002) it works so well that i have not bothered to do any extensive electrical system output testing. I do like some of the Trick lights like that integrated tail light and blinker/ license holder. I have no opinion about the control panel for lack of research. The BD multi function switch is great in my opinion. I have a BD kit on my wifes TTR 250 and after a hard crash the plastic cover on the blinker switch broke off but the metal part of the switch where the plastic was molded to is still there and the switch is still functioning perfectly. My local dealer stamped and signed the statement of fact no problem after a quick look at the install after all that work I made him check all the lights.

Last summer i rode in the Sierras and was riding down 395 in the middle of Bishop going to get gas rode past a CHP (I was so scared like a kid getting caught) he waived I waved back boy do I love my license plate.

I think both companies Trick and BD are helpful with paperwork questions as well.
Good luck. :ride:

• chivobones

Posted July 06, 2006 - 04:51 PM

On the Statement of Facts I filled out the appropriate information and section G and H. I think what I filled out I put on page 3 of this thread.
My Baja Designs kit also has the low profile lights and Mickey at Malcolm Smith didn't say anything about it. He just commented on how good the kit looks. He just made sure all the lights worked. Oh, I only have the rear brake turn on my brake light, nothing was said, and it only took me about 5 minutes to complete the transaction. Look what I wrote about it and call and make an appointment. I even put the telephone number in this thread.

• byggd

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:16 AM

Byggd Good luck. you probably remember me stressing over my paperwork I hope this goes well for you. I don't understand everyone bad mouthing the Baja Designs kit with carefully installation mine has served me well and the BD customer service people were great and knowledgeable as well. I would get the low profile blinkers if I was doing it again but I was worried about passing the light inspection at the time (which turned out to be no problem). I do not understand everyone saying that the BD kit requires a stater mod Mine seems to run perfectly with minimal dimming at low RPM (2002) it works so well that i have not bothered to do any extensive electrical system output testing. I do like some of the Trick lights like that integrated tail light and blinker/ license holder. I have no opinion about the control panel for lack of research. The BD multi function switch is great in my opinion. I have a BD kit on my wifes TTR 250 and after a hard crash the plastic cover on the blinker switch broke off but the metal part of the switch where the plastic was molded to is still there and the switch is still functioning perfectly. My local dealer stamped and signed the statement of fact no problem after a quick look at the install after all that work I made him check all the lights.

Last summer i rode in the Sierras and was riding down 395 in the middle of Bishop going to get gas rode past a CHP (I was so scared like a kid getting caught) he waived I waved back boy do I love my license plate.

I think both companies Trick and BD are helpful with paperwork questions as well.
Good luck. :ride:

I agree with what you are saying on the BD kit and TT sells the BD kits for $468 (quick release) and $387 (classic). I think the stater mod only applies if trying to install on a 450 or a YZ 426 (according to the listing notes on the TT store) http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=313&s=2
I think I'll still give Dale(?) at TDS a call and see what price I get if using my old headlamp but I do have a YZ fender so I will need the tail lamp which is another 80 bucks :ride:

• byggd

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:25 AM

On the Statement of Facts I filled out the appropriate information and section G and H. I think what I filled out I put on page 3 of this thread.
My Baja Designs kit also has the low profile lights and Mickey at Malcolm Smith didn't say anything about it. He just commented on how good the kit looks. He just made sure all the lights worked. Oh, I only have the rear brake turn on my brake light, nothing was said, and it only took me about 5 minutes to complete the transaction. Look what I wrote about it and call and make an appointment. I even put the telephone number in this thread.

Sorry I missed the part about sections G and H earlier in the thread :ride:
So did Malcolm Smith supply the light cert. form?
I wonder if they can do the VIN inspection too? :ride:

• chivobones

Posted July 07, 2006 - 11:39 AM

byggd: Yup, Malcolm Smith provides the form, it has their stamp on it. But still, it looks a bit generic. Since the lady at DMV told me to go there for my lamp inspection, probably a safe place to get that part passed them. I got the number for MAlcolm Smith in this thread, I would call them and ask about the VIN verification too. I would expect they do, since they are a motorcycle dealer/repair shop.
Keep us posted.

• byggd

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Well I picked up a Baja Designs kit on ebay and installed it yesterday. I had made up my mind to go with the TDS kit but it would have been $560 and I got the BD kit for $250. I was going to wait until I got the VIN verification done but for that price I didn't want to pass it up. I'll let you know how the rest goes.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:45 PM

OK this is getting frustrating. I just called Malcolm Smith and was informed the person who did their lighting check and VIN verification no longer works there. So I called Corona Yamaha and one person told me they do the lighting for $80 but not the VIN and then I was transferred and was told they do neither. Then I called Corona motor sports and the guys said “sure bud bring it in and we can check out your lights for you” so I explained what I needed done and he didn’t have a clue. Anyone have an idea who I can use for the lighting check in the Corona/Riverside/Lake Ellsinore area?? I’ll call my local AAA and see if the do the VIN.

• GCannon

Posted July 24, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I feel your pain. keep patience and stay the course it will be worth it in the end. Just a thought try Z racing in Anaheim I know they are a KTM shop but I have heard a lot of good things about them (worth a phone call). I did my VIN verification at the DMV they have their own form but they looked at the federal emission label and noted the status. Stay away from the CHP they have a special guy who does VIN Verify all day one or two days a week way too through. Another thought is to get the blank form(which comes with the BD paperwork) and have a freindly law enforcement officer in your area do it for you. If you could find one who rides all the better. Good luck. :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted July 24, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I see earlier in the thread gdn and vorra65 used AAA for the VIN verification but I just called the one in Corona and they said "oh no we can't do that, only the DMV can" :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Could Pro Circuit or Precision Concepts help you? Maybe they could recommend someone close who could help. Worth a try :thumbsup:

• chivobones

Posted July 24, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hey BYGGD, when you called Malcolm Smith did they say Mickey or Avery didn't work there? I made the appointment with Avery but Mickey did the test. They both cannot be gone. So ask for the one that should be there. It was only a few minute job, you should just tell them what you need and it should be done there for you. Or tell them you know someone that had it done there and it was was for the employee to fill out the form. Or have them provide you with a place that can do it.

If not check out this thread:
http://www.thumperta...32&page=3&pp=10

The guy did the lamp test at Temecula Cycles for free and got the VIN verification at the Temecula AAA.

Good luck and keep us updated.

• byggd

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the advise! I have Wednesday and Thursday off this week and I can smell a trip to Temecula in my future :thumbsup: But I will call Malcolm Smith tomorrow first just to make sure.

• byggd

Posted July 25, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Called Malcolm Smith and Avery is no longer there and Micky isn't certified (Avery must have signed the form) so I'll take a drive south tomorrow.

• byggd

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:31 AM

Well I'm a little further alone. TC did my light cert and all was well. Really cool guy btw. Next it was over the freeway to AAA. I checked in and waited about 5 min for my name to be called. I told the woman what I needed done, she picked up the phone and talked to someone and after hanging up she informed me that they don't do any VIN inspections unless they can complete the transaction there. I said all I need is the VIN information verified and then I will make an appt at the DMV to complete the transaction. I even mentioned I know of another person that had the verification done there not more than two weeks ago but she wouldn't budge :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:08 PM

You can never find a cop when you need one! Try the local donut shop. (I could not resist that one) Maybe your kids soccer coach is a law enforcement officer. You heard about my DMV VIN Verification they noted my Canadian emission sticker which had the correct VIN but no federal emission status which you would probably prefer to omit at this point. Good luck we will try and keep the jokes coming. :thumbsup:

• chivobones

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:49 PM

:thumbsup: OK so what is wrong with AAA doing the the entire transaction? Is all you have left is the VIN verification and then pay the fees for the plate? Maybe I am confused because when I got my bike in May, AAA in Riverside told me they didn't handle motorcycles transactions. So maybe it's another case of 'different person, different answer?' If all you need to do is pay the fees, maybe you'll get lucky like me and get a $25.00 refund from DMV for overpaying the Green Sticker...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.