Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • BeachBoy

Posted June 06, 2006 - 09:26 AM

you don't, have to mount it on the handlebar, you can flip your stock trip odometer plate and mount it there.

The remote is mounted on the handlebar, I put it on the left side.

Mine is still temporary installed but I'm planning to set it up permanently tonight or thursday

• chivobones

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:10 PM

Cool, just wondering if it'll fit in the stock odometer location due to my Baja Designs headlight. I am really liking that speedometer though, really leaning towards it. Real estate on my handlebar is getting scarce. I saw some mirror mounts that replace the clutch and brake lever perches so no more room is taken. I assume the computer control you are using is about as wide as the stock headlight switch.
I just got my brake switch done. That stock bolt was a total pain. I used PB to free that banjo bolt. I thought I was going to strip the bolt so I used channel locks and it popped right off. But still what a pain. I used Valvoline synthetic brake fluid that is supposed to exceed DOT 4 specs so I hope that is OK. The brakes seemed to be bled pretty easily. So I guess I will try the brake/lamp test tomorrow or Thursday so I can head on over to DMV to get the plate on Friday (fingers crossed). Now gotta go downstairs and get some pics of the bike with the new dual sport kit.... :applause:

• byggd

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:49 AM

Keep updating us and post the pics when you get the chance. I debating between baja designs and trick dual sport.

• BeachBoy

Posted June 07, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I will start installing it tonight, will show you pics.

I still haven't received my stand in the mail so canT' install my 17" supermoto sheels, but I'll start installing the Lynx permanently tonight and show the step-by=step

• chivobones

Posted June 07, 2006 - 04:27 PM

OK, went to Malcolm Smith today, spent about 10 minutes, got my Lamp/Brake test completed. Pretty easy, I was supposed to deal with Avery (according to my appointment) and Mickey helped out. Way cool guy, made the test pretty easy. I just installed the B.D. kit and I guess thats all I need. I also bought a MSR kickstand, because I am getting oh so close to Dual Sporting.... I'll see about posting some pics...everything looks good.

• gdm

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:57 PM

Keep updating us and post the pics when you get the chance. I debating between baja designs and trick dual sport.

Go with Trick Dual Sport. You don't have to make a stator mod., and you can use your stock headlight and tail light. Super easy install and bullet proof connections. :applause:

• Guirey

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:12 PM

Go with Trick Dual Sport. You don't have to make a stator mod., and you can use your stock headlight and tail light. Super easy install and bullet proof connections. :applause:

From thier web site
WR 450
Trick Dual Input Kit - $450

This kit includes a headlight with integrated blinkers, control box, handle bar switch, horn, hydraulic brake switch, AC line in, power harness and taillight harness. No stator modification is required.

We recommend using the stock WR taillight. If you want to use the UFO taillight*, you will need a 2003-2005 YZ fender. This kit requires the removal of the odometer because of competing space needs.

Did you really have to take off your computer?

• BeachBoy

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I started checking on fixing the trailtech permanently. you can switch the stock odometer plate but I will make a bracket because I think it still puts the trailtech too low and not centered.

• byggd

Posted June 14, 2006 - 01:29 PM

byggd: there is a section on the REG 343 for the emission label and there is a box that can be checked, "None." I don't recall seeing one on my bike, maybe GDM can shed some light on that.... :excuseme:
GDM mentioned a REG 124, I don't know what that form is. We'll need a reply on that too.... :bonk:
GDM, did the DMV require you to have the plate and green sticker on your bike? I was told I'll have to pay for both but a post in this thread states otherwise...
Also GDM, thats awesome that you were able to plate you bike locally. Maybe since this county has some dirt left in it (for now) they are sympathetic to us riders, as I have read other parts of CA aren't letting riders dual sport their bikes.

I've looked high and low on the DMV site and I can't find a REG 124 form. Can anyone tell me where to find it or if I even need it? :busted:

• chivobones

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I didn't get any forms from the DMV website. I got all of mine handed to me at the office when I requested all needed forms to dual sport my bike. I could not even find any information regarding CHP 888 either. I just put on my statement of facts that I would follows those regulations. I say just go down to DMV and ask for all the forms that I stated I filled out in this thread. Those, plus a lamp/brake inspection from a shop, is all that you should need.

I keep running out of time to go to DMV but should be going there next week to finish the process. I'll give another update when I come back, it must be done by the end of June.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdm

Posted June 14, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I've looked high and low on the DMV site and I can't find a REG 124 form. Can anyone tell me where to find it or if I even need it? :excuseme:

I got the REG 124 form from the DMV. They gave it to me when I went to dual register my bike. It is a triplicate form, that is why you cannot download it. The CHP keeps a copy as does the DMV and yourself.

• gdm

Posted June 14, 2006 - 06:54 PM

From thier web site
WR 450
Trick Dual Input Kit - $450

This kit includes a headlight with integrated blinkers, control box, handle bar switch, horn, hydraulic brake switch, AC line in, power harness and taillight harness. No stator modification is required.

We recommend using the stock WR taillight. If you want to use the UFO taillight*, you will need a 2003-2005 YZ fender. This kit requires the removal of the odometer because of competing space needs.

Did you really have to take off your computer?

You can use your stock headlight and Dale will charge $400 for the kit. I was also able to keep the stock odometer as well. Dale mounted the control box in the upper left corner of the headlight shroud.

• chivobones

Posted June 15, 2006 - 08:06 AM

That trick dual sport kit does sound like a deal. I have heard nothing but good things about it on this board. I was thinking of that kit too, but I picked up a brand new B.D. quick release kit on eBay for $370. I figured that was an OK deal, and heard it was just bolt on. It was easy enough, looks good, and seems to work well.

• Yamahondaha

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:18 AM

That trick dual sport kit does sound like a deal. I have heard nothing but good things about it on this board. I was thinking of that kit too, but I picked up a brand new B.D. quick release kit on eBay for $370. I figured that was an OK deal, and heard it was just bolt on. It was easy enough, looks good, and seems to work well.

See if the kit comes with instructions for making the stator a floating ground, if not send an Email to BD and see if they will send it to you, you will need to mod the stator.

• Yamahondaha

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:23 AM

You can use your stock headlight and Dale will charge $400 for the kit. I was also able to keep the stock odometer as well. Dale mounted the control box in the upper left corner of the headlight shroud.

I use my stock computer as well by mounting my headlight on aluminum plates 1" longer than stock mounting plates and they also hold the turn signals and I am working on mounting a quad key switch too.

• chivobones

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:53 AM

:excuseme: OK, still no plate but I had another Deputy fill out that Verification of Vehicle form (REG 343/31 combined) and checked that it had the EPA sticker for Federal and California. I went to DMV this morning and the line was out the door. A quick, "Oh Hell no!," and I left the parking lot. Since I don't have to work Friday, and it is when my temporary registration expires, I will return then. So I will try to give the (hopefully) final update of me getting the plate when I get home.
Wish me luck.

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like you are almost there :excuseme: Make an appointment at the DMV and save yourself the aggravation

• solocojo

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Dale mounted my Trickdualsport control box to the headlight shroud right in front of the computer on my '06 wr450. The fit was a bit tight but no problem. He modded my stock headlight and the installation of the kit was a breeze. Definitly a great kit and the customer service is excellant.

• chivobones

Posted June 30, 2006 - 12:18 PM

OK, went to DMV again....got in line with B191, they were calling B149...yikes what a wait.
BUT,,,I gave the lady behind the counter my paperwork and she didn't know what to do. So she called the woman that helped me there before. After struggling a bit with the paperwork, she gave me 3 new receipts. Then she told me to go to line #3 and get my plate.
So after all the help here and the waiting in line it finally paid off.
I HAVE MY PLATE ! ! !
Good luck to all that wish to do the same, this thread and the others member on the board made it possible and I thank all of you.
Next up, I'll try to post some pics....

• jimi

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:08 PM

That rocks! I'm glad it worked out for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.