Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • CAlmride

Posted May 18, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Plated my 01WR426 today! Lincoln Park DMV :ride:
Here's my story.
I purchase the WR new in 01 from a dealership in Phoenix, AZ to avoid a red sticker. In 03 after CA started to give green stickers I brought it down to my local DMV to register it in CA. (Yea I know I should have dual reg. it then, but I was under the impression that I had to go the Vermont route something I didn't want to do. The idea of dual sporting the bike was now dead).
When the DMV inspector was done my new title and reg. had the body type as RT (road trail). He was confused by the lights. I didn't realize at the time that this probably helped me.

So about a 2 weeks ago I was days away from listing my bike for sale so I could buy a used CA plated pumkin.

I was lucky enough to read this thread and was inspired to give it a try.

I printed both forms from the DMV website, VIN verification and Statement of Facts. From another website I downloaded and read CHP 888.

I asked a local LEO if he could do a VIN verification or did he need special training. After he puffed his chest out and replied that he most certainly could, he very quickly and efficently filled out the VIN form and handed it back to me. He missed a few boxes but who was I to point out his mistake. After he left I went over the form to make sure it was properly filled out.

The Statement of Facts I wrote the following in Box G;
I have received, read and understand CHP form 888 and certify that this vehicle is in compliance with all requirements to be legally operated for both highway and off road use.
I will pay the fees to license this vehicle every year for highway use and every two years for off road use.
I will provide full time insurance for this vehicle.
(I had 3 copies with me and the DMV used 2)

I then had both brake and light certification done at a local auto repair shop.

Made a appointment with the DMV and here's what happen next.

The nice lady helping me understood that I wanted dual registrations but wasn't quite sure on how to go about doing it. She asks a supervisor how
(now I'm starting to sweat). She comes back types a few things and then gets stuck again. She now asks another supervisor who comes out of a office carrying a large note book. I can see them talking while looking at the book then I see her start to count the VIN # now I think the games up. They flip pages and I hear her say that the vehicle is a 2001. She comes back and starts typing, 15 minutes later I'm writing a check for $96.00 ($71 for the highway and $25 for the green sticker) She hands me a new plate and a new green sticker. :banana:

My bike complies with the laws via a Dakar DS kit, DOT tires and a Acerbis mirror.
I only wish I did this sooner.

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 18, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Cool deal!
Question for you: What box did the officer check in the emmisions label part of the VIN verification? I have a good friend with a badge and he would fill it out however was needed for me (probably let ME fill it out and he signs it off).
But I'm really curious what the officer did on your form. Hey here's a thought; if you still have the third copy can you scan and post it??? Please??? :ride:

• CAlmride

Posted May 18, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Form 343 VIN Verification
Skipped 1st line
Filled out VIN
Filled out Engine #, Make, Body type (see next line)Model Year
Body type=MC not MX(or so I've read)
Motive of power=Gas
Model or Series=WR (or what ever you ride)
VIN location=Frame
Attached by=Stamped on Frame
VIN/Engine#=VIN ENG-Appears OK
US Federal Certification Label Status=Agrees with VIN
US Federal Certification Label=Vehicle complies with US Fed Motor Vehicle
ODOMETER MILEAGE READING= (What ever it is)
Safety Standards (US FMVSS)
Suporting Docs=Agrees with VIN
Emissions Label Indicates=Vehicle meets US EPA standards and California standards (This is the important one)
LEO fills out his info

• Yamahondaha

Posted May 18, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Plated my 01WR426 today! Lincoln Park DMV

I was lucky enough to read this thread and was inspired to give it a try.

I only wish I did this sooner.

Better late than never! Welcome to the club and doesn't it feel good when the DMV clerk finally says "OK, here is your license plate" :ride:

• Yamahondaha

Posted May 19, 2006 - 09:15 PM

:ride: Come on guys, anyone with a light kit or great setup on your bikes, lets hear it...I have to be ready by June...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 19, 2006 - 10:07 PM

Form 343 VIN Verification
Skipped 1st line
Filled out VIN
Filled out Engine #, Make, Body type (see next line)Model Year
Body type=MC not MX(or so I've read)
Motive of power=Gas
Model or Series=WR (or what ever you ride)
VIN location=Frame
Attached by=Stamped on Frame
VIN/Engine#=VIN ENG-Appears OK
US Federal Certification Label Status=Agrees with VIN
US Federal Certification Label=Vehicle complies with US Fed Motor Vehicle
ODOMETER MILEAGE READING= (What ever it is)
Safety Standards (US FMVSS)
Suporting Docs=Agrees with VIN
Emissions Label Indicates=Vehicle meets US EPA standards and California standards (This is the important one)
LEO fills out his info

Thanks for posting the info.
About that last line (emissions label), I figured that was checked off as US and CA compliant. Bummer, 'cause it isn't; and I don't want my buddy to put his signature on that. Maybe I'll try the two local CHP offices and see what happens. I've had a Vermont plate for almost five years now and I'll just keep that if I have to. What a hassle it is to be completely LEGAL in CA!!
(wish I was 18 again, when I didn't care about that stuff)

Thanks again for posting your info for me. -K

• CAlmride

Posted May 20, 2006 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for posting the info.
About that last line (emissions label), I figured that was checked off as US and CA compliant. Bummer, 'cause it isn't; and I don't want my buddy to put his signature on that. Maybe I'll try the two local CHP offices and see what happens. I've had a Vermont plate for almost five years now and I'll just keep that if I have to. What a hassle it is to be completely LEGAL in CA!!
(wish I was 18 again, when I didn't care about that stuff)

Thanks again for posting your info for me. -K

"Whatja talkin about Willis" :ride:

I showed the LEO the EPA sticker mounted on the down tube. :banana:

I agree with you that it's hard to completely comply with all the laws in CA. It seems theres a new law or regulation enacted everyday. Most of which chip away at our diminishing rights/freedoms. From Gun Rights, to the incorrect use of the ESA resulting in the closures of open land, No smoking on the beach laws, noise limits, seat belt laws, child restraint rules, speed limits, helmet law, Immigration laws (OK maybe not), what color you can paint your house and where you can park your RV.
Please believe me when I say that I don't condone breaking, shirting, bending of laws, rules and regulations. But show me someone that is in complete compliance with all laws, rules and regulations and I'll show you our next President of the United States (OK maybe not)

How long did you say you've had Vermont plates?

CA vehicle code:
Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered immediately upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Residents of other states may operate their vehicles with current registration in their names from their residence state for up to six months or until they:

Accept gainful employment in California or become a California resident.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (e.g., acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote, etc.).
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

I say all this with tongue in cheek and mean no harm or disrespect.
Let's go ride.

• Guirey

Posted May 20, 2006 - 05:46 PM

My 06 WR450 sticker reads "this vehicle meets US EPA and California Regulations for 2006 off road MC"

Since a frined is a LEO we talked about this and since it meets both US and California and the DMV form does not have a choice for that exact wording, I am selecting the one that most closely fits for both US EPA and California. And what do you know, that just happens to be the one I need checked off.

If it works, it works and I'm riding on the road to the next trail....

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 21, 2006 - 12:49 PM

You know...I forgot all about that sticker. And, like Guirey states, the wording on the form is vague. Emmision label??? Yeah I got one of those...says it meets US and California requirements.
Ding, Ding! I think we have a winner!
I'll just slip the stock muffler insert back in and call it a done deal :banana:
Thanks for all the extra info! That's just what I needed to hear. -K

(Oh, and CAlmride, no offense taken at all. BTW, my bike has current CA sticker AND a Vermont plate, so it's all good :ride: )

• Yamahondaha

Posted May 22, 2006 - 07:06 AM

You know...I forgot all about that sticker. And, like Guirey states, the wording on the form is vague. Emmision label??? Yeah I got one of those...says it meets US and California requirements.
Ding, Ding! I think we have a winner!
I'll just slip the stock muffler insert back in and call it a done deal :banana:
Thanks for all the extra info! That's just what I needed to hear. -K

(Oh, and CAlmride, no offense taken at all. BTW, my bike has current CA sticker AND a Vermont plate, so it's all good :ride: )

No one checked my pipe, I had a pro moto billet insert plus my tires were not DOT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chivobones

Posted May 25, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Just updating....
I Purchased a Baja Designs Quick Release kit for my bike. Hopefully I will have it installed by next weekend and go get my lamp inspetion at Malcolm Smith. No phone call from the DMV regarding my emissions sticker yet.
I got my motorcycle license handbook so I gotta start studying. I have been seeing a lot of dual-sports down here lately, getting motivated.... :ride:

• jimi

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:48 PM

My 06 WR450 sticker reads "this vehicle meets US EPA and California Regulations for 2006 off road MC"

Since a frined is a LEO we talked about this and since it meets both US and California and the DMV form does not have a choice for that exact wording, I am selecting the one that most closely fits for both US EPA and California. And what do you know, that just happens to be the one I need checked off.

If it works, it works and I'm riding on the road to the next trail....

VERY interested in this if it works. I was under the impression that the VIN# was still wrong for the 06 bikes, whatever letter in wrong position, and that it was a no go. I know it's possible on older bikes, but I thought they killed that with 06 models.

I so badly want to do this.

• Guirey

Posted May 25, 2006 - 06:48 PM

VERY interested in this if it works. I was under the impression that the VIN# was still wrong for the 06 bikes, whatever letter in wrong position, and that it was a no go. I know it's possible on older bikes, but I thought they killed that with 06 models.

I so badly want to do this.

"A 3 or C in the 8th position could casue a problem"

My 06 VIN is JYACJ09Y66Axxxxxx (last 6 are deleted for security reasons)

While he has signed off, I have yet to make it to the DMV.

• BeachBoy

Posted May 31, 2006 - 08:32 AM

yes '06 are green sticker on WRs...
only '03 and '04 are red sticker (because '02 and older are grandfathered green stickers anyways)

you should be fairly easily able to plate it

good luck, let us know

• jimi

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:25 PM

"A 3 or C in the 8th position could casue a problem"

My 06 VIN is JYACJ09Y66Axxxxxx (last 6 are deleted for security reasons)

While he has signed off, I have yet to make it to the DMV.

Yeah, I saw this when looking at them over the weekend.

The sales guy there thinks that it probably helps if the dealer just treats it like a regular street motorcycle, charges the DMV fees, and just assumes that a plate will show up. I mean, there IS nothing with the VIN# that should cause a problem. Obviously, that doesn't help you if you've already purchased it, but it might help someone.

Then again, maybe that won't work. He is a sales guy, and he could say anything to try and make the sale.

• Guirey

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I am done, went tho the DMV today in Rancho Cucamonga, and got my plate with no problems. $95.00 and away I went. All paper work was in order.

So I know a 06 WR450 that only had a green sticker can be DS'd and taken on the road.

• chivobones

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:32 PM

I got my BAJA DESIGNS kit yesterday....dang its nice. I will install it this week. I will try to get my lamp test at Malcolm Smith and head on down to DMV by this Friday.

• chivobones

Posted June 05, 2006 - 02:24 PM

OK, I put on my Baja Designs kit today. Went on pretty easy for the most part. I was a bit confued by the kill switch wiring. The instructions mentioned two wire colors that I didnt find. On the light switch mount, there are two wires left and thats probably the ones. I just mounted my stock kill switch inboard on the handlebar. I figure if I took the kit off there would be less spliced wiring.

I had to make a pigtail with some different connectors than were provided with the wiring harness. The yellow wire on my stator comes on a white connector that is a flat push on connector end. The kit has a round butt style connector that is female. I called B.D. and they told me mine was modified. I didn't argue, but it appears like a factory connection on the bike to me. I also did not do the brake switch because it states in the instructions not to do it without brake fluid. Seems like a no brainer, so I will try it tomorrow or Wednesday when I get some DOT 4.

Does anyone have a good pic of where they put their rear plate? Looks like 2 holes are needed to be drilled onto the rear light plastic and I don't want to put it on a bad spot (for the LEDs to light up). Also, how did people do their odometer, if any? I was looking at the B.D. analog speedometer to replace the stock odometer. The B.D. kit's horn hits the odometer and might need to be moved somehow so if anyone had that problem, post up your fix...

• BeachBoy

Posted June 05, 2006 - 04:31 PM

I have a trailtech Lynx odo and it rocks

I can even switch the ratio for my dirt setup and it has lap timer and such.

• chivobones

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Actually, the two speedometers I have been looking at are the Baja Designs 2 1/2 analog speedo and the Lynx digital one you mentioned. I wanted to see which one fit best or hear of mounting options. Looks like the analog speedometer can be mounted on the center of the triple tree I think. The Lynx computer (part number 7X-200 I think) looks like it would mount on the handlebars. Since itis a kit, maybe it would be easy to install. So BeachBoy how'd you mount yours up, and did you use the remote? Oh, and was it very difficult to mount? Looking from the online manual it looks pretty easy. I'm also wondering how visible it is...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.