Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • babyspankynhb

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:32 PM

So, If I walk into my local DMV and ask them what I need to Dual Sport my off-road bike, they would hand me all the forms I need to have filled out? I've got a '06 WR450 and I am DIEING to ride it around town! I'd still need a horn and turn signals too right?

• chivobones

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:43 PM

:crazy: See what we've posted so far in this thread, but it appears so. I'd ask the person at DMV exactly what you need so you only have to make 2 trips to the DMV. You can see what forms we've needed so far in the previous posts. Hopefully I'll only need 1 more trip to the DMV.

• babyspankynhb

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Has anyone figured out a good way to turn off the ignition w/ a key? I'd want to ride to work and wouldn't want to just leave it outside how it is. Well, it might even be a good idea even if it isn't a dual sport.

• vorra65

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:24 PM

So, If I walk into my local DMV and ask them what I need to Dual Sport my off-road bike, they would hand me all the forms I need to have filled out? I've got a '06 WR450 and I am DIEING to ride it around town! I'd still need a horn and turn signals too right?

I wouldn't ask DMV for anything. Download the forms you need from the DMV site. Do all your homework, and have everything that your'e gonna need on the first trip-it's all explained here at TT (been hashed out a number of times). Have your forms filled out and the vin inspection already done (even though DMV says to make an appointment with them first). The less that you HAVE them do, the better off you are. I say if you have all the right components of what it takes when you go to DMV-all it should take is one trip.

Read here for what is required

Collect all the info. provided by others that have been sucessful, and get er done.

Has anyone figured out a good way to turn off the ignition w/ a key? I'd want to ride to work and wouldn't want to just leave it outside how it is. Well, it might even be a good idea even if it isn't a dual sport

Do some searching, someone posted a mod-where they added an ignition switch from a TTR.

• vorra65

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:44 AM

Is your bike Red stickered or Green?

Dan, what if it's an 02 or earlier with the 3/C in the vin. Now that it is green via the grandfather ruling, can the dual registering still happen?

Or is it hit and miss?

• BeachBoy

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:24 AM

02 and earlier they don't care about the VIN, it'sgrandfathered

03 and newer you need to NOT have 3 or C in the 8th position. Then again, I've seen it done and i will try it on mine if I move to Cali ('03 WR450 with Nevada plates)

• vorra65

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:26 PM

02 and earlier they don't care about the VIN, it'sgrandfathered

03 and newer you need to NOT have 3 or C in the 8th position. Then again, I've seen it done and i will try it on mine if I move to Cali ('03 WR450 with Nevada plates)

Ok, the grandfathered green (02 and earlier) I'm down with. What I'm wondering is, if you stroll in with say an 01/02 YZ (that is now green) that obviously has the 3/C in the vin-is the CA plate a do-able?

It specifically states- "Off-highway motorcycles year model 2003 and newer with a red sticker will not be allowed to convert."

But mentions nothing of the 3/C in the pre 03 models which are now green stickered via the grandfather ruling.

The shit you gotta deal with in the brown state-
:crazy: :ride:

• BeachBoy

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:46 PM

as far as I read everywhere (I am reading all threads on this because my '03 is red sticker and I want to plate it in Cali if I move there), the '02 or older, whatever the VIN says, you can register it.

'03 and later they need to have correct VIN to be registered

• chivobones

Posted May 14, 2006 - 10:16 AM

OK went back to the DMV on Friday and this is what happened:
I turned in my signed Verification of Vehicle form (REG 343) and filled out 2
Application For Title or Registration forms (REG 343/REG 31 Combined).
Also I had to pay $62.00 for the application (maybe based on my ''$1000'' purchase price?) and was given a red Temporary Operating Permit card (June). She also gave me back my (unaffixed) Green Sticker.

The lady behind the counter (treated me very nice) told me I needed a Lamp Inspection and could go to Malcolm Smith Motorsports to do that.
What I didn't like about my experience is that I was not told of the lamp inspection which would have saved me time on not going to the DMV this time (since I asked that last lady, "Tell me everything I need to know/get so I only have to make one more trip to the DMV.").

The good thing is that the time I waited for my number to be called was only about 5 minutes. The lady behind the counter seemed as if she went the extra mile in having me fill out all the forms at the counter (I was with her about 30 minutes.)

I went to Malcolm Smith Motorsports and they told me to call (Mickey) 951-687-1300 when I am ready to go there for the $10.00 inspection.

It appears I am 90% there and getting a plate seems possible since the DMV is willing to take my money and give me a temporary operating permit (I assume for on-road use).

So anyone know of a great (read:CHEAP) lighting kit (set up) post up.
As soon as I get the inspection done I'll post the results of that and then the (hopefully last) visit to the DMV. It's gotta be done by June 30th, now...

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 14, 2006 - 12:44 PM

HHmmm...so it looks like it is possible to CA plate an original red sticker 01/02?
I tried last summer with my Vermont plated '01, and CA DMV would not plate it(emissions). However they gave me a green sticker (I was stoked about that).
Now I'm thinking about trying the CA process again, but have CHP and others do ALL the verifications/cerifications, show up at DMV with all paperwork DONE!
Last summer's attempt had DMV do the verifications. Bad idea I guess.
But I'm encouraged by everyone's info! Thanks and I'm anxious to hear how chivobones pans out. -K

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4x4x

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:12 PM

subscribed to the thread:).....any updates chivobones?

• wlk303

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Do you need the Title or can you just use the registration (I haven't paid it off yet)?

• chivobones

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Well I just bought my bike last month and only had the registration. I was told to bring in the TITLE since I guess it says off-highway on it and will be changed to say off highway and on highway. I can ask the DMV about that when I go back but that'll be in a couple of weeks. I have to get the lighting issue taken care of. I was really hoping they would have just taken my word for it and let me get the lights on at my leisure, but I guess not. Update is to follow...

• chivobones

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:03 AM

:ride: Come on guys, anyone with a light kit or great setup on your bikes, lets hear it...I have to be ready by June...

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Here's a diagram of the wiring I added to my 2004 WR450.
Posted Image

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:22 AM

:ride: Come on guys, anyone with a light kit or great setup on your bikes, lets hear it...I have to be ready by June...

PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple of schematics for the 426. You will need a Statement of Facts form signed off by a authorized shop for the lighting requirement. If you know someone who will sign it off for you the DMV is not going to look at the lights. If not you're going to need the full meal deal (battery, lights, etc). CA requirement is that the taillight has to run for 15 minutes with the engine off. Some shops care some don't and in that case you can get away with an AC system without the battery. If you want a turnkey solution check out www.trickdualsport.com Definitely the best of the kits.

• joshbeene

Posted May 17, 2006 - 09:06 AM

There are two parts to dual sporting a bike in California.

The first part - The light inspection, which is filled out on a Statement of Facts form that states your bike meets all the requirements to be street legal (high beam, low beam, blinkers, horn, tail light, brake light, dot tires, mirror, and the ability to have the tail light and head light stay on with the motor turned off.) You can get a light inspection at a shop or the DMV. I recomend a local shop.

The second part - You need to get a vehicle verification form filled out. This verifies the Vin #, engine # and emmisions. You can have a certified person at a shop fill it out, a police officer, or the DMV. Once again I reccomend either a Police Officer or your local shop. The most important part is on this form!!!!!!!!! They must check the box that states that the vehicle meets California requirements, or it meets Califonia Requirements and US EPA standards. If they check the box stating it meets California requirement for Off-highway vehichles you will not be able to get a plate. Actually you will receive a plate from the DMV, and then you will receive a letter a few weeks later. I actually received a phone call when I did this and they told me I had to return my plate. Every off road motorcycle has a emmsions label that says it meet requirement for off road vehicles. You need to convince the person doing the Vehicle Verification form that your bike meets the standards for California.

If you have any more questions contact me direct.

• Yamahondaha

Posted May 17, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Every off road motorcycle has an emmsions label that says it meet requirement for off road vehicles. You need to convince the person doing the Vehicle Verification form that your bike meets the standards for California.

I just went through the process and got a plate for my 06 WR450F and the best advice I can give you all is...

Do the VIN verification first and try more than one place if at first you don't succeed before you spend the money on lighting and DOT tires.

By law you need a metal fuel tank, an "on-road" emissions label, as well as other things like DOT tires, mirrors and lights. Any one of those things can potentially be a deal breaker if someone wants to screw you. If you pass the VIN verification you're in good shape.

Some of us are just getting lucky (It would be interesting to see how many California dirt bikes were plated after Jan 04, can someone start a poll where those who have tried to plate in CA after 04 can vote YES if they got one and NO if they didn't? I tried but don't have admin privilege)

I didn't have DOT tires but no one looked at that. I did have to install a 5 watt 12 volt bulb in my stock headlight to come on when the bike was not running to pass the brake and lamp inspection.

I spent $500 to get to the VIN verification part of this ordeal and the CHP told me "It can't be done, you have an off-road emissions label". I finally got a DMV inspector to do the VIN verification and he signed off on the emissions part of the inspection because he didn't know what he was doing and he was in a great mood (must have done the nasty before heading out the door for work that morning!). :ride:

• chivobones

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well, I have gotten everything done, including the VIN verification. I was told there isn't an emissions sticker on motorcycles and the Deputy checked the, "NONE," box. I hope that doesn't screw me up. I guess the lady behind the counter didn't catch that or didn't know or it won't become an issue (fingers crossed). If I get the call to turn in my plate I'll ask if I can just bring in another VIN verification with that box checked correctly. Hopefully when I get the lighting kit done, the $10.00 inspection at Malcolm Smith won't be a problem.

• gdm

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I had AAA do my VIN inspection and all they filled out was the VIN info. and left the emmissions box blank. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.