Another Successful CA. plated WR426!

200 replies to this topic
  • chivobones

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:45 AM

OK, I went to the DMV on Brockton. I told the receptionist that I wanted the paperwork necessary to dual sport a motorcycle. She asked if I had the title and an offroad sticker. I said, "Yes," to both and she gave me a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form , highlighting "Licensce plate/CF Number, Vehicle/Vessle ID Number, Year/Make, and sections G and H." She told me to fill it out and she'll give me a number for a window. I assume to get a number to pay someone at a window and to pick up a plate as well. So my question is: Anyone who has filled out the form, what did you write in the Statement of Facts section. PM me or post here, and I'll give an update when I go back to the DMV. Do this and we'll all be dual sporting all our bikes in CA.... :thumbsup:

• vorra65

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:11 PM

From what I gather-something to this effect works.

I have read and understand CHP 888 OPI 062 , and will pay for both on and off road registration for this motorcycle. Off road will be paid every 2 years and on road every year. I will also provide full time insurance for this motorcycle.

• joshbeene

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:19 PM

I had to fill out that same form, and the told me to write:

I have read CHP form # 888 and my bike has all the appropriate stuff needed to be street legal.

I have a 2005 XR650R Street Legal, 2005 WR450 Street Legal, and a 2006 TT-R Street Legal, for the gal. All are registered in California. You do not have to dual register it! I no longer get a green sticker becuase the liscense plate trumps everything else. If you have more questions about it go to http://www.dualsport-adventures.com/

• BeachBoy

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:03 PM

since youre bike is green sticker I guess you can dual register it quite easily

• vorra65

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:11 AM

Hypothetical-

01/02 YZ426F, even though it was originally a red sticker bike-it is now green.

Can these be dual registered-on highway and off highway?

• J_DOGG

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:43 AM

That's all RSA 215 stuff in NH...

Simple as pie but you are right no one at the bike palce new what to do so I did all my homework like you and took it to them with all the documents covering my bike...

Brake light fuser, hand horn, and left side mirror.... ROCK ON, I'm street legal!

• byggd

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hypothetical-

01/02 YZ426F, even though it was originally a red sticker bike-it is now green.

Can these be dual registered-on highway and off highway?

According to the DMV Website no, but some have still had luck doing it anyway :crazy:
http://www.dmv.ca.go.../ohvdualreg.htm

• chivobones

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:06 PM

I'll be heading on over to the Brockton DMV on Friday, then I'll update on what happens.

• chivobones

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:35 PM

OH, in case I really need a DS kit I was looking at just getting one of these:
http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 28, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Well with all the problems/rumors Ive heard about trying to plate an 02' WR426 thats never been plated I figure Id give it a run anyway.

Is your bike Red stickered or Green?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeachBoy

Posted April 28, 2006 - 09:56 AM

'02 and older WR are green, '03 and '04 are red

• chivobones

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:44 PM

:ride: OK, today's update at the Brokton DMV. I waited only an hour in line to learn the following: I brought my registration (title is in the mail) and I filled out the Statement of Facts and wrote. "I have read and understand CHP 888 OPI 062, and will pay for both on and off road registration for this 2002 Yamaha WR426F motorcycle. The motorcycle has all the necessary safety equipment to be legal for off road and highway use and I will also provide full time insurance for this motorcycle."
Well, the lady behind the counter told me I needed to add something to the effect of, "I will pay to have the license paid every year for highway use and every two years for off road use." (That was covered in a previous post and I thought I had that covered in what I wrote but I guess not.) She also wanted me to have the Title with me. Since I only purchased the bike 2 weeks ago, I only have a registration. So, I guess she won't deal with a bike that is not owned out-right(?). She also gave me a Verification of Vehicle form (REG 343) and wants it filled out by a CHP officer, or I can have the bike inspected at the DMV office. Then she told me I can pay the license fee and have a license plate AND the green sticker for the bike.
So I'll jump through the next set of hoops and keep you posted. :crazy:

• byggd

Posted April 29, 2006 - 04:24 AM

Keep at them :crazy: Question for you.....does the reg 343 require the inspector to look for an emission label??

• gdm

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:20 AM

I successfully plated my 2005 WR450 yesterday. :ride: You must have the title to complete the process. I used Norco DMV, Mission Motorsports for the light inspection, and Santa Ana CHP for VIN verification. The CHP officer, officer Smith, is a very nice guy and rides a WR 400 himself! Norco DMV gave me form REG 124 that must be filled out by the CHP. That is the VIN verification form. I also went to the AAA to have form REG 343 filled out which they did without any problems. If you have everything in order it should not be a problem. Good luck and go get your plate! :crazy:

• chivobones

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:50 AM

byggd: there is a section on the REG 343 for the emission label and there is a box that can be checked, "None." I don't recall seeing one on my bike, maybe GDM can shed some light on that.... :crazy:
GDM mentioned a REG 124, I don't know what that form is. We'll need a reply on that too.... :ride:
GDM, did the DMV require you to have the plate and green sticker on your bike? I was told I'll have to pay for both but a post in this thread states otherwise...
Also GDM, thats awesome that you were able to plate you bike locally. Maybe since this county has some dirt left in it (for now) they are sympathetic to us riders, as I have read other parts of CA aren't letting riders dual sport their bikes.

• gdm

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:00 AM

byggd: there is a section on the REG 343 for the emission label and there is a box that can be checked, "None." I don't recall seeing one on my bike, maybe GDM can shed some light on that.... :ride:
GDM mentioned a REG 124, I don't know what that form is. We'll need a reply on that too.... :ride:
GDM, did the DMV require you to have the plate and green sticker on your bike? I was told I'll have to pay for both but a post in this thread states otherwise...
Also GDM, thats awesome that you were able to plate you bike locally. Maybe since this county has some dirt left in it (for now) they are sympathetic to us riders, as I have read other parts of CA aren't letting riders dual sport their bikes.

I had form REG 343 filled out at the AAA and they left the emission label section blank. You can then check the appropriate box. The DMV clerk didn't even look at that form, just a quick glance to see it was filled out. Tell the AAA you just need the VIN section filled out. If you don't belong to the AAA it might be worth joining. Your bike has a emission label located on the down frame just above the frame oil drain bolt. The CHP did not check for the emission label. I paid for both on road and off road reg. You can do on road only, but it easier for the DMV to process both. I just wanted to get out of there as quick as possible. Also, I believe your bike must be a green sticker bike. The DMV clerk counted my VIN number to make sure it did not contain a 3 or c in the eighth digit. Good luck! :crazy:

• gdm

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Form REG 124 was given to me by the DMV. It is a triplicate form and must be filled out by the CHP.

• byggd

Posted April 29, 2006 - 01:33 PM

The DMV clerk counted my VIN number to make sure it did not contain a 3 or c in the eighth digit.

Well crap....the 02 wr426 can't pass this :crazy:

• vorra65

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Well crap....the 02 wr426 can't pass this :ride:

Crap not. Your bike is a legit green sticker via the grandfather thing that was passed.

This is why you get your vin verification done by a LEO or AAA.

From the DMV website-

How do I change an eligible California registered OHV to on-highway registration?

To change your eligible OHV to on-highway registration you will need:

* The OHV Certificate of Title
* A vehicle verification to determine if the vehicle has an emission label that qualifies it for on-highway registration
* A Statement of Facts (REG 256) stating, “I have received the form CHP 888 (motorcycles) or CHP 885 (other vehicles) and certify this vehicle is in compliance with all requirements.”
* Official brake and light certificates
* A weight certificate, if a commercial vehicle
* A smog certificate, if applicable
* On-highway registration fees.

If it is green stickered 2002 and earlier or legit 02 and later green bike-it should be do-able. The vin verification needs to be done somewhere other than DMV, cause they are looking for that emissions label. As others have stated, if the LEO or CHP fills out the vin verification, and you have all your forms and title-you shouldn't even need the bike to be there at DMV the day you do it. The ones that are sucessfull, seem to be the ones that have all the right shit filled out and comply with all the details that DMV want's. It does also appear that there is the rare occasion that you get a DMV nazi, that isn't bike freindly.

Print out what they want, have it all together and share it with the DMV clerk, if it appears that they are going to balk. Man, there are way to many sucess stories to not give it a whirl. :crazy:

• chivobones

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Yup, my bike has a 3 in the 8th digit of the VIN, but the DMV lady didn't mention that. Which to me should be something she would have mentioned so I wont waste my time in coming back. So I don't think it is an issue. But, we shall see....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.